• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Gordon were offering some of the best scholarships going at UTS.

It's not only Uni

Maybe it was a better choice of Unis for the individual. Maybe it is live-in which suits better.
Who knows what the players have been offered, but you can't blame them for taking up good offers.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No one has ever blamed the kids.
Some of the blames should go to Uni for over zealous recruiting.
But it's the SRU who's to blame.
Everyone knows what the issue is,and they stand back and watch two clubs try to corner the market in Rugby talent, year in year out.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed Sidelineview. Players will go where they think they have the best opportunity. Uni have set the standard and other clubs have to try and compete with that. Randwick have done a good job in aligning with UNSW.
However what is the point on having a competition when clubs are only playing for the runner-up medal. I come back to is this improving Australian rugby? How do we get better when players are not challenged on a weekly basis? They are not put under pressure in Colts and when it comes to Seniors and Super rugby they clearly don't perform the way we would like to see Australian teams perform.
Administrators need to look at all levels of rugby. From juniors, schools, colts and into seniors. We need stronger competitions across all levels.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Fully agree you cannot blame any of the boys.

Uni are the most professional club and they demand a higher level of compulsory commitment to their program. At other clubs you can still train just as hard but you need a higher level of self motivation - and that does not suit many players.

Players go there for their track record of success in Colts premierships but often it is their track record of getting players selected in rep squads that is really appealing.

Uni can also get anyone into a course if they want to - so if you do poorly at school you can still get a university education even if you did not get the UAI to get near a course. UTS/UNSW will not do that although they do have elite athlete allowances but Uni can go further than that and that got a few over the line.

There are different reasons - all valid - for each individual.

The points system is meant to stop too many players going to one or two clubs but when you drop a NSW schoolboy from 4 points in Year 1 to 1 point in Year 2 you are not stopping too much. Each player should reduce by one point per year IMO.

S

sidelineview

Agreed Sidelineview. Players will go where they think they have the best opportunity. Uni have set the standard and other clubs have to try and compete with that. Randwick have done a good job in aligning with UNSW.
However what is the point on having a competition when clubs are only playing for the runner-up medal. I come back to is this improving Australian rugby? How do we get better when players are not challenged on a weekly basis? They are not put under pressure in Colts and when it comes to Seniors and Super rugby they clearly don't perform the way we would like to see Australian teams perform.
Administrators need to look at all levels of rugby. From juniors, schools, colts and into seniors. We need stronger competitions across all levels.

Agree 100%.

It's the rugby governing bodies that need to take ownership of the game and create better and more even competitions. There's so much that can be done.

Promotion and development of the game at school and junior club level is a high priority but do they have the money to hire development officers? I'm not too clued up on the finances but it appears not.

Meanwhile soccer and AFL are marching on and making great inroads into the school and weekend Club systems.

It's obvious the player points rules need to be revamped to even out the competition, but when you cant even locate a set of player points rules it doesn't fill one with confidence.

S

sidelineview

Fully agree you cannot blame any of the boys.

Uni are the most professional club and they demand a higher level of compulsory commitment to their program. At other clubs you can still train just as hard but you need a higher level of self motivation - and that does not suit many players.

Players go there for their track record of success in Colts premierships but often it is their track record of getting players selected in rep squads that is really appealing.

Uni can also get anyone into a course if they want to - so if you do poorly at school you can still get a university education even if you did not get the UAI to get near a course. UTS/UNSW will not do that although they do have elite athlete allowances but Uni can go further than that and that got a few over the line.

There are different reasons - all valid - for each individual.

The points system is meant to stop too many players going to one or two clubs but when you drop a NSW schoolboy from 4 points in Year 1 to 1 point in Year 2 you are not stopping too much. Each player should reduce by one point per year IMO.

Agree; the player points system is not achieving what it set to do. to even up the competition.

It seems Uni and Randwick could justifiably lose a certain percentage of their players through a more stringent player points system.

Those players would then be forced to go to other Clubs (in theory at least and hopefully not lost to league).

Wouldn't it be good to read a statement from a governing body explaining the rationale behind the player points system?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe it was a better choice of Unis for the individual. Maybe it is live-in which suits better.
Who knows what the players have been offered, but you can't blame them for taking up good offers.
Not everyone that plays for Uni goes to Uni, even some trades play there. And some player go to other Uni

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The points don't halve they drop by 1 point for each year played at the club.
Any Australian Schoolboy from 2015 should be a 5 point player unless they played juniors at that club. Even then they can only go down to a 3 point player. Can only have maximum 50% deduction on points.
The anomaly is for Schoolboy State Championship players from 2015. Last year those players were worth 4 points. This year they are only worth 1 point. This is due to the fact the SRU left off 2015 Schoolboy Championship players from the schedule. Previously that player would have been worth 3 points in his second year of Colts but it has changed.
The SRU needs to be on top of the points system specifically for Colts.

It appears rugby is a training ground for actuaries.

S

sidelineview

Not everyone that plays for Uni goes to Uni, even some trades play there. And some player go to other Uni

Fair enough, but each Uni and Randwick Colts player would have a reason as to why he has chosen to play for either Club.

If they've had an offer they can't refuse and get to play with some of their mates as well then it's a no-brainer.

Therefore, ''poaching'' juniors from other Clubs is put into perspective.

If the Clubs can get away with it, they will. That's also a no-brainer.

It's up to the governing body to regulate it for obvious reasons.

Also, it would be appreciated if ASIO could release an updated copy of the Player Points Rules so the punters who support the game can know what's going on.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
A lot of concerning information bu, if I were one of these young blokes at Uni, I'd be all over it. An opportunity to be seen in a rugby sense and the opportunity to set up the rest of my life with a degree that maybe all my schoolboy Rugby meant I couldn't get into. I'd be stupid not to....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
From Rugby Addict:

From a Gordon point of view the following are Gordon juniors - Horton, Swinton, Basson, Travers, Armstrong, Clements and Hasegawa. 7 out of 18 that I know of - there should be some penalty for this.

But it was Ok when Gordon lured Horton, Travers, Clifford from Norths and Simpson from Randwick? Damn facts again.

Boys (and their parents) are smart enough to follow the program/training/structure that is going to best advance their rugby if that is what they choose to do.[/quote]

Does anyone know where Luke Lough and Will Terry (ex Gordon) are playing?

S

sidelineview

Randwick vs Parramatta @ Coogee Oval

COLTS 1 3pm COLTS 2 1.35 pm COLTS 3 12.20pm
1 Callum Quinn Carter Hoy Harrison Stein
2 Blake Schoup Jack Upton James McNeill
3 Cam Prince Sione Nikau Ethan Micalef
4 Alec Corcoran Tom Pirrodi Travis Gifford
5 Alex Hills Sam Musgrove Tom Nowlan
6 Christian Poidevin Tom Serhon Jack Wilson
7 Lewis Allen Joe Feltis Latham James
8 Lochie Simpson Gus Vivers Michael Midson
9 Judd Kerrison Tom Wong Guy Beynon
10 Patrick Pelligrini Morgan Steyn Dimitry Chipizubov
11 Cameron Gleave Zac Carr Tom Callaughan
12 Matt Orpen Caleb Shephard Ryley Angles Cork
13 Zac Trinkler Steve Gibson Max Rivers
14 Dan Boardman Will Douglass Barney Pinkerton
15 Dion Narayan Ronald Streeter-Mason Lachie Day
REPLACEMENTS REPLACEMENTS REPLACEMENTS
16 Yirribi Jaffer-Williams 16 16
17 17 17
18 18 18
19 19 19
20 20 20
21 21 21
22 22 22

Well it looks like my tip of player number audits is coming true. NSW are asking all clubs to send their players points through and then they will check if "porky pies" are being told. Maybe the big two will learn it's not just about winning..... it's about what's for the best for our sport. Might also shorten up trophy chasing parents.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Well it looks like my tip of player number audits is coming true. NSW are asking all clubs to send their players points through and then they will check if "porky pies" are being told. Maybe the big two will learn it's not just about winning... it's about what's for the best for our sport. Might also shorten up trophy chasing parents.
All player points were meant to be sent in before round 1. NSWRU will pretend to look at them but you won't hear anything.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
All player points were meant to be sent in before round 1. NSWRU will pretend to look at them but you won't hear anything.

The NSWRU website used to show the player points for each round for each team but not this year (it doesn't even show the point scorers). So the player points are not open to external scrutiny any more. Have they got something to hide?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The NSWRU website used to show the player points for each round for each team but not this year (it doesn't even show the point scorers). So the player points are not open to external scrutiny any more. Have they got something to hide?
I'd back sheer incompetence before a calculated deceit with that mob

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Things a bit quieter after last week's excitement, though a couple of interesting results have blurred the form line, or maybe it's like focusing binoculars......set everything up with one eye and fine tune the other
I would not have guessed the Easts / Manly result nor the Eastwood / Warringah

Attachments

• IMG_4935.PNG
    IMG_4935.PNG
    236.3 KB · Views: 276

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone want to give some feedback on the games most recently played
On checking players points and acting
I am sure anyone not playing within the rules will be spoken to and gently reminded that they exist and if it persists they will be threatened with being formally informed that the rules exist, after that it will be escalating to a threat of a strong rebuke etc etc until after the twelve faze warning process is complete any further breaches will resultin the loss of one round competition table points. There would be a threat of legal action by the allegedly offending club(s) late in august and everything will be reset at the first stage of the process for next seasons opener and the traditional 4rounds of turning a blind eye until a blowout score against the other club doing much the same thing

Gold fish are smarter than they are given credit

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Southern Districts had a more difficult draw coming into yesterday's match against Gordon and maybe they were entitled to favouratism, although I didn't see the 40-0 away victory coming.

Having not seen the game I'd be pleased to read any reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.