• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Ala was a late inclusion to a squad that needed to be a certain size because of departures elsewhere now he is close to a game because of Hooper going and a few other issues.

Let's not keep having a go at Ala though I have seen some journeymen from all four clubs before make squads like these last year there were plenty.

I think Hill is a good player but the four clubs should have enough talent to supply a strong and competitive side year in year out.

T

TOCC

So Harry Jones wasn't snubbed, he just saw a better opportunity at another team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I asked an official at the Rays, Jones apparently had one session in the pre season but wanted more game time so switched to Sydney.
Well, they would look pretty fucking stupid,saying anything but that today wouldn't they?
One game in and they have someone playing fullback who hasn't played there in years,if ever,and a 13 on the wing.
Meanwhile Harry is carving up with the Stars!

Just waiting for Hartmann to score a hatrick for the Rams to hear,that he also was offered a spot but preferred to play away from all his mates......

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well, they would look pretty fucking stupid,saying anything but that today wouldn't they?
One game in and they have someone playing fullback who hasn't played there in years,if ever,and a 13 on the wing.
Meanwhile Harry is carving up with the Stars!

Just waiting for Hartmann to score a hatrick for the Rams to hear,that he also was offered a spot but preferred to play away from all his mates..

Besides the handful of games he played there this year for Manly when the coaching staff thought that was best for the TEAM

senior

Peter Burge (5)
I'll eat my hat if Hill opts to move to Gordon because he's playing with the Rays - HE DOESNT NEED TO! it beggars belief to read that Hill is one-dimensional or worse than Hodge. The bloke has won two premierships in two years and had a pretty big role in them. IIRC, Hodge's concussion occurred when he tried to tackle Hill in the GF. There's a pretty good chance that Townsend was impressed with Hodge at fullback when Gordon played Manly at Chatswood and has selected him there.
If you think Jones deserved the red carpet rolled down before him, you didn't watch the NRC last year.

rushed job last night

Yes i was sure i recall him when i took the drive up to Lake Mac sevens last year (Marlins won:) .

BUT
  1. Why have we picked from outa area when we have some good 12's to choose from?
  2. Who is head coach at Rays & head coach at Gordon?
I said above i hate singling out a player in a team sport, and i do recall i enjoyed his rugby back in '12.

A bit on 2012
  • Played 10 games mostly on the wing if i recall (goal kicking was a huge plus), Woodhouse was at the back for 2015 as BJ had dodgey ankle (I don't think Sione started all 10 though).
  • With Hooper, and Siale spent time on the wing & Woodhouse had game time on the wing also.
  • Back 3 got mixed around a bit that year as well.
Manly's roster - yes serious I agree and that is all i was saying, he'd struggle to get out of 3's (this year as well), I enjoyed watching him play. My sole point was that there are / were better 1st grade players around than him that went elsewhere because a coach possibly promised positions - that shouldn't be on best players picked is what matters.

Reece is an awesome second 5, possibly a better first 5, and he's playing 15 so Hill can play at Gordon next year. Having watched a fair bit of Shute Shield it should be Feltcheer or BJ in the 15;
  • Their natural read of the game at the back has them being involved, this comes with game time, and reading play / players / combinations.
  • It is a different natural read in the front line, the vision is completely different / as is the time to think.
Lets look back over some past known players, Larkam is the only player that i recall that successfully shifted between 15 & 10 - wasn't a shift - he relocated. All I am saying is they are different positions with different game reads, and we had 2 x very good 15's.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'll eat my hat if Hill opts to move to Gordon because he's playing with the Rays - HE DOESNT NEED TO! it beggars belief to read that Hill is one-dimensional or worse than Hodge. The bloke has won two premierships in two years and had a pretty big role in them. IIRC, Hodge's concussion occurred when he tried to tackle Hill in the GF. There's a pretty good chance that Townsend was impressed with Hodge at fullback when Gordon played Manly at Chatswood and has selected him there.
If you think Jones deserved the red carpet rolled down before him, you didn't watch the NRC last year.

• Hat - what flavor.
  • One dimensional - wasn't me.
  • Concussion - i missed that.
  • V's Gordon - BJ had the impact when he came on and Reece went back to 12, up until then Gordon where right in it.
  • Jones red carpet - never said that either. I was curious why semi final first graders changed clubs yet Sione got a gig?
I've simply asked why an out of area player?
Why are we loosing top quality players?
Why do we loose 3 First Grade props?

People keep mentioning quota of Players from 4 clubs - fair question, why Hill?

T

Train Without a Station

Nobody is mentioning any quotas except you Dave.

It's completely reasonable that Sione got a gig because Jones left.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Ok, you've exhausted that argument. You didn't rate Sione in 2012 or 2013 and so he's not good enough for the Rays in 2015 - sure. I think it's a moot point as It's unlikely that he would get a start ahead of Northam, Hooper, Adams, Feltscheer or Woolf on the wing anyway. I also don't think Jones would be in our top 5 wingers hence his decision to pursue an opportunity elsewhere (good on him for grabbing it with both hands- UNREAL).

1) An out of area player because after his Shute shield performances, the coaching staff thought he'd bring serious value to the side. Surely this isn't difficult to grasp.

2) I assume you're talking about BJ. I don't think he's TOP quality. I know he's a marlin and so we should all adore him but he may not be as good a fullback as Feltscheer or Hodge (or Porch?) in the eyes of the coaching staff. Remember BJ has played a lot of 2nd grade at Manly. If you are talking about other players as well, I'd argue that losing talent is what happens when you try to pick the best 28 from a pool of approx 80.

3) we lost 3 first grade props because it was decided that 5 other first grade props were better than them. Again, this is how selecting rep teams works.

I refuse to believe that selecting the Manly XV would make the Rays a better side.

• Hat - what flavor.
  • One dimensional - wasn't me.
  • Concussion - i missed that.
  • V's Gordon - BJ had the impact when he came on and Reece went back to 12, up until then Gordon where right in it.
  • Jones red carpet - never said that either. I was curious why semi final first graders changed clubs yet Sione got a gig?
I've simply asked why an out of area player?
Why are we loosing top quality players?
Why do we loose 3 First Grade props?

People keep mentioning quota of Players from 4 clubs - fair question, why Hill?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm saying very little on this thread at the moment as I want to remain positive; this all needs to work for the sake of rugby - I'm talking the Rays and the NRC as a whole.

I'm sitting back watching and hoping against hope, that we don't end up with a team which is weaker than the sum of its 4 parts as we did last year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Off topic, - but it needs a change, rugby is more important.

Got a call yesterday morning, resulted in the little one being one of only 4 kids to accidently bump into the Wallabies having brunch yesterday.

I got stuck in the office so the lovely wife kept on sending me photos, and talking up their arms and legs.

She made reference to how great QC (Quade Cooper) was, he was so good with the boys, and engaging, no request was an issue.

To keep it a bit on topic - our Rays leader but not in his Rays kit.
11902567_1476803349288710_8684417240241848147_n.jpg

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm saying very little on this thread at the moment as I want to remain positive; this all needs to work for the sake of rugby - I'm talking the Rays and the NRC as a whole.

I'm sitting back watching and hoping against hope, that we don't end up with a team which is weaker than the sum of its 4 parts as we did last year.

They're doing alright so far.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Status
Not open for further replies.