• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The long weekend really hurt a lot of clubs in terms of playing numbers.

In hindsight, would you have played the Halligan game?

Wouldn't have played the Halligan if we'd had a full contingent, just would have meant that we'd have been picking full squads without asking lads to sit on the bench after playing a full game as injury cover.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not the greatest day for Irish yesterday, Canterbury forfeited 3rd grade so we had a Halligan game against Dukes and went down 21-0. The Dukes packed pushed us around in the first half and got 3 tries from some of their big ball carriers.

2nds went down after leading 12-0. Canterbury's back 3 caused havoc anytime they got the ball and scored some great tries. 1sts went down by 12 in the end to Canterbury. All in all we were missing about 20 players so was a credit to our depth that we got 3 teams out without anyone having to back up too much.
The Halligans game was advertised on the Dukes website last Wednesday so it wasn't a last minute thing. The Dukes were very happy to play and the win continued the strong start to the season for the whole club

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Wouldn't have played the Halligan if we'd had a full contingent, just would have meant that we'd have been picking full squads without asking lads to sit on the bench after playing a full game as injury cover.

Redfield had the same problem with about 25 or so regular players out of action. A struggle with 2 teams covering three games.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes interesting seeing Barker forefeit 3rds and 4ths on the weekend. The holiday period has certainly caused issues and will be interesting to see if any clubs lose momentum post this break. The Big issue next year in Div 2 if subbies continue with 8 team draw similiar to 3rd Div this year. 3rd Div clubs have had a 3 week break after playing 2 games. I can tell you it will kill many clubs as players will drift either to grade or away from rugby altogether. If you are going to an 8 team comp the season has to be shorter. Dont try and pad out a 14 game season over 4 months.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Halligans game was advertised on the Dukes website last Wednesday so it wasn't a last minute thing. The Dukes were very happy to play and the win continued the strong start to the season for the whole club

You guys were very strong I must say, some very good ball carriers in your pack. Was it a complete 2nd grade side that you guys had, or were some of the firsts called in? Hopefully we get to meet again later in the season I enjoyed playing against you blokes.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
no 1st grade players were played. The Dukes this year have had a good influx of players with approx. 40 players registered.

The boys also enjoyed the day and as always enjoyed a drink after. Hopefully we can play again

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Thoughts on the Subbies Rep team? Any surprise exclusions or inclusions?

Attachments

• Fwd__Subbies_Rep_Squad_-_Congratulations__-_thomas_tudehope_gmail_com_-_Gmail.png
    Fwd__Subbies_Rep_Squad_-_Congratulations__-_thomas_tudehope_gmail_com_-_Gmail.png
    142 KB · Views: 327

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes interesting seeing Barker forefeit 3rds and 4ths on the weekend. The holiday period has certainly caused issues and will be interesting to see if any clubs lose momentum post this break. The Big issue next year in Div 2 if subbies continue with 8 team draw similiar to 3rd Div this year. 3rd Div clubs have had a 3 week break after playing 2 games. I can tell you it will kill many clubs as players will drift either to grade or away from rugby altogether. If you are going to an 8 team comp the season has to be shorter. Dont try and pad out a 14 game season over 4 months.

It is not a good look that Barker had to forfeit 3's and 4's but putting a game in the middle of a 2 week holiday makes it tough to get numbers together.

If the number of teams in each division is reduced then the season should start latter!

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Redfield defeated Blacktown 39 - 24 over the weekend. Really impressed with how Blacktwon played. Very well drilled and clinical around the contact zone. Their 9 & 10 were very good too in steering their pack around. Will be hard to beat on their day.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alexandria Dukes beat Sydney Grammar Old Boys 31-17 on Saturday, through a very dominant forward pack. The Dukes have some big ball carriers and heavy hitters in their side and completely dominated the smaller SGOB's pack. Given that SGOB's were grand finalists in the Meldrum last year this was a really good result. We now sit top of the Division with 3 wins all with bonus points

Overheard during the game one parent of one of the Old Boys say, after they elected for a scrum instead of taking a enalty kick - "After the amount of money we spent educating them you would think they learnt something."

In the backs the Dukes were able to hold off any challenges that were thrown at them with some good organised mid-field defence. The 10 and 12 were very strong here. They need to organise themselves (the backs) better and there appeared to be a little communication. This may be due to the 3 week break since they last played so heres hoping to see some good backline stuff in the coming games.

I would also like to comment on the ref for the game. Often the ref is commented on how shit they are but in this case I can only say what a good job he did with the game. He was a young bloke and had moments during the game where things got a bit strained. The discipline of both sides at times was poor and he had any number of players wanting to tell him his job. He handled all this well and gave a performance that allowed the game to be played and finished in mostly good spirit. His judgment and control of the game could not really be faulted.

Anyway the Dukes enjoyed the win (did anyone see the boys in the Magners suits at the Tahs game last saturday night - some of them were the Dukes) and now look forward to a new test of how they are going when they take on Maccabi next Saturday and Nagle Oval Maroubra

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
What an interesting start to the season!

* Petersham more than holding their own in 1st Div. Their first grade side being 3/4

* Brothers going down to UNSW. 2nd Div looks very strong this year!

* What is going on with Hornsby and Briars. Hornsby were beaten grand finalists last year. I thought they would dominate this year. Early days yet though!

* Good to see Blacktown performing strongly, we need strong clubs out west. Well done to Redfield old boys even with the extra team required they seem to be very strong again!

Must say well done to Newport they are looking very strong in 1st grade good luck to them.

My club Bobs are doing well in the lower grades and have picked up bonus points in losses to 2 of the top four teams in close losses in 1st grade. Keep it going boys!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Petersham are a strong club and good bunch of guys so glad to see they are holding their own.
2nd Div 1st grade looks cometitive this year. Forest vs Breakers this w/e will be a cracker and should give the comp an idea if Newport are the real deal in 1s.

1st Div clubs struggle for numbers. More dissappointing is Campbelltown, Knox and Beecroft who have all forefieted 5ths grade for the year and Campbelltown also forfetied 4ths. A wake up call to subbies. 1st DIV should be 4 grades + colts, 2nd -4th Div should be 3 grades + colts. Head in the sand stuff really. Newport received 300 point Club Champ penalty last year for forefting 4ths so will be interesting to see similar punishment dished out to the above clubs by subbies.

Blacktown are my 4th Div favourite side and again were always physical on the field but good blokes off it.

Subbies needs a strong Newport as rugby on the penisula depends on there continued viability and success. Newport is a classic example of the success that comes from nurturing colts. Half of there 1s and 2s team are made up of their 2012/13 premiership winning teams.

BOBs look solid acorss the grades and should be a contender come finals time. Certainly feel for St Ives who are trying hard but face a long season at the bottom of the ladder.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1st Div clubs struggle for numbers. More dissappointing is Campbelltown, Knox and Beecroft who have all forefieted 5ths grade for the year and Campbelltown also forfetied 4ths. A wake up call to subbies. 1st DIV should be 4 grades + colts, 2nd -4th Div should be 3 grades + colts.

Actually, NO division should be more than 3 grades + colts if you want a solid competition through the year. Problem is some blokes want to play every weekend and never volunteer, which means they're failing to understand what Subbies is all about.

And good luck getting a Colts side for all the 4th Division clubs. Most are struggling to field Three Grades at away games so I doubt they've got the resources to get another side together and start a game at midday to boot.

I talked to someone in the know at Campbelltown and they tried to pick up the players that were left behind when their club disbanded as Fifth Grade. Subbies said it wasn't fair, so what were they to do?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agreed that subbies need to look at team numbers. Clubs with stronger numbers can field teams in lower DIvs like Colleagues currently do.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Petersham are a strong club and good bunch of guys so glad to see they are holding their own.
2nd Div 1st grade looks cometitive this year. Forest vs Breakers this w/e will be a cracker and should give the comp an idea if Newport are the real deal in 1s.

1st Div clubs struggle for numbers. More dissappointing is Campbelltown, Knox and Beecroft who have all forefieted 5ths grade for the year and Campbelltown also forfetied 4ths. A wake up call to subbies. 1st DIV should be 4 grades + colts, 2nd -4th Div should be 3 grades + colts. Head in the sand stuff really. Newport received 300 point Club Champ penalty last year for forefting 4ths so will be interesting to see similar punishment dished out to the above clubs by subbies.

Blacktown are my 4th Div favourite side and again were always physical on the field but good blokes off it.

Subbies needs a strong Newport as rugby on the penisula depends on there continued viability and success. Newport is a classic example of the success that comes from nurturing colts. Half of there 1s and 2s team are made up of their 2012/13 premiership winning teams.

BOBs look solid acorss the grades and should be a contender come finals time. Certainly feel for St Ives who are trying hard but face a long season at the bottom of the ladder.

Agree and disagree, because a couple of clubs cant organise the numbers, you want to drag every one down to the lowest common denominator.
Next it will be like some else suggested, just make it 3 grades plus colts, then some one will forfeit 3 rd grade. What after that, 2 grades and colts.
All clubs know the criteria going into the season.

To me one of the main benefits of subbies rugby is that it provides for all types players regardless of ability and commitment. In many clubs (1 st Div), 4th and 5th Grade provide that alternative.

Re: strong colts, agree 100%. I believe 10 out of 15 regular 1st graders at
Mosman are ex colts and from that 10 I believe 5 of them started in U7s with Mosman.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ok then - change the club championship so only the top three grades + colts contribute points. If people want to play socially, nothing is stopping them.

It's OK when your club has a lot of white collar to play from 9am, but it's not for everyone

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fifth grade contributes bugger all to club Champo any way so that argument is a furphy.
Many clubs will play 5 th grade later in the day.
Seriously if a club can't pull together 4 grade then should they be in 1 st division.
I don't know your club but generally having trouble with numbers is a reflection of a poor administration.
If you look at strong clubs, any sport any level, they usually come as a result of a strong admin.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ok then - change the club championship so only the top three grades + colts contribute points. If people want to play socially, nothing is stopping them.

It's OK when your club has a lot of white collar to play from 9am, but it's not for everyone

See I would go the other way- make 4ths and 5ths worth more CC points.

That will hopefully increase the value of the strugglers in those grades (like me) and make clubs compete for players of all abilities.

At the moment the low grades are worth a small fraction of 1st grade, so where do you think all the resources go? And when a few blokes pull out on Friday night it's easier to go 'oh fuck it, let's forfeit 4s' than it is to get blokes to play. Make those games worth more and clubs will hopefully make the extra effort to find low grade players and hold onto them.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
See I would go the other way- make 4ths and 5ths worth more CC points.

That will hopefully increase the value of the strugglers in those grades (like me) and make clubs compete for players of all abilities.

At the moment the low grades are worth a small fraction of 1st grade, so where do you think all the resources go? And when a few blokes pull out on Friday night it's easier to go 'oh fuck it, let's forfeit 4s' than it is to get blokes to play. Make those games worth more and clubs will hopefully make the extra effort to find low grade players and hold onto them.

Agree with that approach. 4th and 5th (and the equivalent in other divisions) is the foundation of what Subbies is all about. You don't want to erode that. Clubs also need to take more responsibility for their respective highs and lows. Easy to throw your hands up and yell at Subbies but ultimately they can only structure competitions based on what each club indicates as their playing base.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Fifth grade contributes bugger all to club Champo any way so that argument is a furphy.

It might be bugger all to the CC points on the day but 300 as a punishment come the end of the season can really hurt.

Interesting how someone from a club where there's no competition from other codes, in rugby heartland and more money from a single fundraising dinner than most clubs see in a decade, like to lecture about good administration. I've met many of those running Mosman - even played there - and they are truely brilliant. But as brilliant as they are, I would like to see them survive so well if Council kicked them off Rawson to make way for a development, or had to compete for players against 10 Leagues Clubs with cashed up pokies or an ever growing population who's culture is not only ignorant of rugby but hostile to it. This has nothing to do with the great administration of Mosman Rugby, but please don't insult the efforts of those volunteers who flog themselves without all the privilages and connection that some clubs have.

Why not back up the claim of administrative brilliance and get the guys at Mosman to work with Blacktown, Rouse Hill or Hornsby for the good of the game. Actually that's not a bad idea. What came out as a glib verbal fart could possibly have merit. Maybe those Clubs across Sydney could lend a hand to those Clubs that need help. It's not like their even in close divisions so it can only benefit the game.

Thoughts anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.