• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Some interesting results in Division 4 this weekend, none more so than Blacktown beating Redfield. Irish gave Redfield a relative scare last week so was interesting to see Blacktown get over them. Big game next week with Irish away to Blacktown, all games are pretty much must win for Irish but a lack of bonus points could see us miss out on the finals in first grade.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
So has anyone got the gospel. Confirmed "rumour" Beecroft and Campbelltown to skip Div 2 and go straight to Div 3. Based on Current positions that put UNSW and Brothers up. Saving (currently) St Ives and Oatley. That will bring the Div 2 to the desired 8 but what happens to promotion and relegation down the chain? With a 10 from 10 bonus point wins (and assuming that form continues, how do you deny them a promotion?

Looks like fun times a head at Subbies

Word is that NO Div 2 teams want to go to Div 1. None will have any hope of fielding a 5th grade side. Subbies might be forced to bite the bullet and make each Div 8 teams which will mean 2 clubs maybe relegated from DIV 2 this year. With 7 weeks to go it looks like Saints will fill position and it will be a race between Oatley (5/7 away) and Blue Monutains (4/7 away) as to who can get their players to travel. Mountains are doing well in lower grades so should prove the difference meaning Oatley say bye bye to Div 2.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd like to hear from those defending player payments on this is good for subbies rugby? Hunters Hill has recruited players from St pats 1st grade for money. If they have secured others it will be interesting to see how they go against undefeated (and amateur) Newport this weekend. Imagine Hunters win 9 on the trot and make semis and then win comp (a massive massive stretch but it could happen). Depends on how far the recruitment campaign goes and how deep the pockets are. Anything is possible!

As both a first grade player for Hillies (who played when we last won the Barraclough) and a previous treasurer of the club, I am starting to get frustrated by people mentioning us every time player payments come up. I am also one of the guys who played in both games against Newport. Yes we had a player join us from another club, yes he had people he knew at Hunters - although I can't personally speak for why he came over. And by the way - I think about the only payment I have received was the beers on the bus trip back from the blue mountains sat night - who by the way put on a great day - there rissole's are awesome for anyone else venturing up to Lapstone.

And by the way the only test cap I have is a replica of a baggy green

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Swings and roundabouts Seagull. Any Club that manages to recruit quality players mid season (or even turn their season around) will face the allegation of payments. I'd be hard pressed to think of a Club in the top 3 deivisions that haven't had the allegation levelled at them at some point.

I don't know who does or doesn't pay players for a fact. What is a fact though is it's happening and it detering kids from continuing rugby after leaving school.

The other things Clubs need to look at is where the money is better spent? If winning matches brings in the players and sponsors then great, but given some of the numbers being thrown about in Div 1 (I won't repeat as there's no evidence) most Subbies Clubs could do free harbour cruises twice a year. Now there's a recruitment tool;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't know who does or doesn't pay players for a fact. What is a fact though is it's happening and it detering kids from continuing rugby after leaving school.

The good big kids go to a Colts Program in Premier rugby. Most of the rest don't want to get flattened by massive islanders every weekend when they could have free time to go do other hobbies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
As both a first grade player for Hillies (who played when we last won the Barraclough) and a previous treasurer of the club, I am starting to get frustrated by people mentioning us every time player payments come up. I am also one of the guys who played in both games against Newport. Yes we had a player join us from another club, yes he had people he knew at Hunters - although I can't personally speak for why he came over. And by the way - I think about the only payment I have received was the beers on the bus trip back from the blue mountains sat night - who by the way put on a great day - there rissole's are awesome for anyone else venturing up to Lapstone.

And by the way the only test cap I have is a replica of a baggy green

And here lies the problem for subbies. Every club will say they dont pay players. HH are paying 4 players and unforunately Seagull you are not one of them. 3rd party sponsors and other wealthy alumni make the payments so clubs can put their hand on their hearts and say we arent paying.

Cactus Jack

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah I'm very sorry, but I'll need some convincing before I believe a former international player leaves one club that commonly accused of paying only to go to another club often accused of the same "crime", for no financial gain. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

Simmo Green

Frank Row (1)
And here lies the problem for subbies. Every club will say they dont pay players. HH are paying 4 players and unforunately Seagull you are not one of them. 3rd party sponsors and other wealthy alumni make the payments so clubs can put their hand on their hearts and say we arent paying.

Congrats to Hunters Hill for being active in recruiting players in order to consolidate their position in Div 2, as they set about rebuilding one of Subbies great Clubs. And if they do have wealthy alumni who still have a strong connection to the Club, good for them. While the Persil white, self righteous, all knowing wallopers soil their name with umpunity in forums like these, it should be noted that Hunters Hill Juniors and Seniors have invested more than $500,000 in improvements to Boronia Park over the last 5-8 years, including a bore, re-surfacing and irrigation. In March of this year, the redeveloped number 3 Oval made it's Rugby debut. All of these improvements are enjoyed by the community, other sporting clubs and local organisations. Hunters Hill don't owe anyone a thing, least of all anonymous sh*t stirrers

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Congrats to Hunters Hill for being active in recruiting players in order to consolidate their position in Div 2, as they set about rebuilding one of Subbies great Clubs. And if they do have wealthy alumni who still have a strong connection to the Club, good for them. While the Persil white, self righteous, all knowing wallopers soil their name with umpunity in forums like these, it should be noted that Hunters Hill Juniors and Seniors have invested more than $500,000 in improvements to Boronia Park over the last 5-8 years, including a bore, re-surfacing and irrigation. In March of this year, the redeveloped number 3 Oval made it's Rugby debut. All of these improvements are enjoyed by the community, other sporting clubs and local organisations. Hunters Hill don't owe anyone a thing, least of all anonymous sh*t stirrers

Good luck to Hunters, if they want to stay in Div 2 that badly then good luck to them!

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)

3rd party sponsors - what are we the Melbourne Storm now?
And we must not be doing a good job at the dodgy bookwork since you know how many we are paying.
These rumours were around about this time last year as well - and we so obviously walked away with the Kentwell Cup.

In other news (quick change the topic!!) - would anyone else like the ability to be able to put their subbies club logos up like Pfitzy and Simmo can with Shute shield teams - or know how I can do this?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK lads, can I suggest for a minute here that this looks a lot like the Subbies facebook page right now? Might be time to move on with the circular argument over money.

In other news (quick change the topic!!) - would anyone else like the ability to be able to put their subbies club logos up like Pfitzy and Simmo can with Shute shield teams - or know how I can do this?

@Gagger - can you point this gentleman to the appropriate nerd?

WillS

Frank Row (1)
Champions,

Anyone know of any subbies clubs that are struggling for numbers in the lower grades?

Got a few blokes (who haven't played for a couple of years) who are looking for a regular run. Very social.

Let me know.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Champions,

Anyone know of any subbies clubs that are struggling for numbers in the lower grades?

Put all the names of a local club on the dartboard and throw a couple ;)

All clubs are pretty grateful for blokes to get involved - where in Sydney are you?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Champions,

Got a few blokes (who haven't played for a couple of years) who are looking for a regular run. Very social.

Let me know.

Hey mate,

I'm at Epping Rams. We are not struggling for numbers by any means, but we are a good social club with a very good club atmosphere. New players always welcome.
You need to be careful though - any new players need to be registered by July 14 to be eligible for semi finals.

Let me know if you are coming down.

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi there
I am new to Sydney rugby scene - last 5 yrs my son has been playing club rugby and is now playing 1st grade colts for West harbour. Can someone tell me the difference between playing in the subbies competition as opposed to the one he is in now. Thanks :)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Champions,

Let me know.

Its at the stage of the season were we are looking for forwards, particularly front rows, www.sydneyirishrfc.com, PM if you're interested or want more information. We're a very social club as well and have members from a good few countries (Filipinos to Septics to Aussies to Welsh, just in case the Irish part is putting you off!)

Status
Not open for further replies.