• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
With Newport 4th Grade forfeiting for the 3rd time this season, I dare say the men from the beaches will be making the trip down to Division 3 Next Season

Kings will be lucky to make the rest of the season, ill call they will forfeit all grades with 3-4 Rounds to go

If they somehow manage to put together a Meldrum Cup side next year I will be shocked

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Maybe Kings should pull together with Iggies and BOBS and Create the
Old Boys Rugby Club.

As each celebrates a special Club memorial day, Ladies day and unique OB Club day and there's 5 serious social events for building morale and coffers.

Mates still get to play with each other, players looking for higher grades can still push for 1st grades spots and the administration goes down because it's only one club. Not to forget they can still use the old school connections.

If/when the Club start to rebuild they could separate again if they wanted or they could continue to grow with the shared identity.

Just a thought......Barbarian?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
With Newport 4th Grade forfeiting for the 3rd time this season, I dare say the men from the beaches will be making the trip down to Division 3 Next Season

Kings will be lucky to make the rest of the season, ill call they will forfeit all grades with 3-4 Rounds to go

If they somehow manage to put together a Meldrum Cup side next year I will be shocked

Yes i suspect there may be some serious Divisional restructuring next year. With 2 or 3 clubs likely to end up on the scrap heap and many others struggling to meet the requirements change will have to happen. Subbies stubborn refusal to change anything despite the overall player exodus over the last 5 years will come home to roost. I think we'll see forefeits increase with a drawn out back end of the season and injuries giving clubs no other option. 3 games in 6 weeks will see clubs lose momentum.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sad to see various Old Boys clubs going down. Doesn't bode well considering they are affiliated with major rugby nurseries. Not good signs.

Also is there potential in a division 5, 2 grade competition for 2017 season. Kings Old Boys could potentially come in along with div 6 sides like Maccabi who can almost field 2 whole sides. Always depends on interest though.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe Kings should pull together with Iggies and BOBS and Create the
Old Boys Rugby Club.

As each celebrates a special Club memorial day, Ladies day and unique OB Club day and there's 5 serious social events for building morale and coffers.

Mates still get to play with each other, players looking for higher grades can still push for 1st grades spots and the administration goes down because it's only one club. Not to forget they can still use the old school connections.

If/when the Club start to rebuild they could separate again if they wanted or they could continue to grow with the shared identity.

Just a thought..Barbarian?

Or GPS Old Boys. It's already on the table...

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
HAC v Brothers- Match of the Round, can anyone stop HAC?? one feels they must be due for a slip up, Brothers are travelling under the radar this season after dropping back down to Div 3 and are sitting right on the tails of HAC, should be a cracker.. Brothers to get the Win very late in the game

It was a long & cracking day out at Hawkesbury Ag College last Saturday vs Brothers. All 5 grades were very competitive contests & first grade was an excellent (& extremely physical) contest. It was 14 - 5 for a long period before a penalty and late try sealed the game for HAC.
  • 5th Grade Beecroft 27 def HAC 7
  • 4th Grade HAC 47 def Brothers 12
  • 3rd Grade HAC 17 def Brothers 0
  • 2nd Grade HAC 27 def Brothers 24
  • 1st Grade HAC 24 def Brothers 5
In front of a big home crowd which had gathered for the 125th Anniversary of the HAC RUFC the HAC boys (perhaps) just had a little bit more to play for than Brothers and maintained intensity for the whole 80 minutes.

Not too sure who we played in 5ths with KOBS forfeiting virtually everything vs Beecroft but they were good blokes. Hopefully we can get 5 grades v Beecroft at Headen park on Saturday again.

After the rugby about 500 former HAC players and club members gathered for a Black Tie Ball (that went well into Sunday morning) to celebrate 125 years of the HAC RUFC. Twas a long but worthwhile day....

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I didn't mention Knox in my initial suggestion because they are a Div 1 mainstay - at least for the last few years.

Suppose BOBS could go into Lindfield as several probably played Lindfield Juniors, it's local and theirs are similar cultures. Especially if they're excluded from the GPS in crowd.....like the rest of Australian Rugby:p Sorry, couldn't resist.

GPS Old Boys would be a good one but I can't see the Grammar boys travelling for training and matches.

However it might effect many of the other clubs as the recent GPS school leavers feel an affinity with their GPS roots as opposed to a local club

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The issue with the GPS idea would be geography. They are just too dispersed and you have to have a home ground and a training ground.

If they could find somewhere central then it could be a goer, but Kings has been looking for something central for years with no luck. There just aren't any grounds.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe let the OB clubs die and move towards clubs based on geography.

FWIW I reckon there is capacity for another club in the East - at the moment it's really just Colleagues and Waverly and both are growing rapidly.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And people aspire to that success, and/or the culture.

Contrast it to the north shore where clubs like Killara, Covies, Chatswood etc. started to die due to changing demographic.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
The issue with the GPS idea would be geography. They are just too dispersed and you have to have a home ground and a training ground.

If they could find somewhere central then it could be a goer, but Kings has been looking for something central for years with no luck. There just aren't any grounds.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe let the OB clubs die and move towards clubs based on geography.

FWIW I reckon there is capacity for another club in the East - at the moment it's really just Colleagues and Waverly and both are growing rapidly.

Arguably Sydney Irish, Dukes and Harlequins also infringe on that pool of players. Would much prefer a host of new teams out west.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

That might be the case, but has the research actually been done? I'm not assuming it hasn't but I know of a couple of clubs who made some very interesting discoveries when they properly mapped out where all their players lived using the member database.

Some serious organisational changes were undertaken and the club went from struggling to major improvements. It made inroads into who could be relied upon to get places, do jobs and where to hold functions.

If somebody was to map out where all the Iggies and KOBS (and BOBS) players lived and worked, a suitable compromise might be found. Yes it needs councils to be amenable but there are some grounds around and if the conversation starts early enough councils may even be helpful.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Speaking of Councils, how many councils are going to close there grounds in the Wake so Sydney's Big Wet this weekend?

Only 1 Guaranteed game this weekend at that's at Wills Ground

Ill be interested come 4pm if there has been any rain today how many ground closures there will be

UNSW have had David Phillips shut since Monday

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Out of curiosity, has anyone here played rugby on a synthetic pitch. I read there is one suitable for rugby in Lane Cove built at a cost of $7.5m

Given the year-round uninterrupted use of such a surface and (I assume) minimal maintenance wouldn't the return on investment be worth it?

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
what club has a cool $7.5 Million sitting in their bank accounts!!

There's also one at Melwood Oval and a new one being built at Waverley Oval

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
what club has a cool $7.5 Million sitting in their bank accounts!!

Hey SV,

I'm not suggesting Clubs have the money, least of all Subbies Clubs. I'm suggesting there may be economic rationale for Councils to make an investment upfront for potentially significant cost savings over the life of a sporting ground.

With the explosion in 7's participation for both men and women and Olympics inclusion, there's potential for rugby revenue 12 months a year.

Rugby Club members and supporters (particularly Junior Clubs) are significant rates contributors. If they can present an economically sound argument maybe councils might listen.

Optimistic I know, but never say never....

Status
Not open for further replies.