• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
NSW team to play QLD subbies named.

Thoughts on the side?

Jason Moylan (Hawkesbury Ag College), Daniel Farrell (Mosman), Josaia Dakuitoga (Hunters Hill), Callum Sauer (Colleagues), Michael Howes (Mosman), Tom Evans (Petersham), Ryan James (Hawkesbury Ag College), Matthew Battishall (Oatley), Duncan Boyd-Jones (Colleagues), Dan Kelly (Colleagues), Maciu Kubunameca (Blacktown), Andrew Carroll (Beecroft), Ben Stanton (Balmain), Cameron Beach (Colleagues), Gavin Duncan (Blue Mountains) Reserves: Matt Borg (Hawkesbury Ag College), Vasa Vailaau (Petersham), Nathan Pyne (Lindfield), Lachlan Girling-Butler (King’s Old Boys), Matt Brewer (Hawkesbury Ag College), Vilimone Turagarua (Hunters Hill), Andrew Watson (Redfield Old Boys), James Watson (Redfield Old Boys)

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
It's been confirmed 3rd Div next year is 3 grades + colts. Are Div 3 teams going to be able to pull a Colts team together?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's been confirmed 3rd Div next year is 3 grades + colts. Are Div 3 teams going to be able to pull a Colts team together?

Is it U21? Most clubs should have a fair few of those to start. Might just have to start hitting up the local juniors or schools for the rest, perhaps?

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Pretty stunning result for Beecroft on the weekend registering a clean sweep against the previously impregnable HAC. Will make the run home to finals very interesting.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pretty stunning result for Beecroft on the weekend registering a clean sweep against the previously impregnable HAC. Will make the run home to finals very interesting.

No excuses. Beecroft were too strong across the whole day with HAC having too many blokes from 5th grade thru to 1st grade either unavailable or who went away for the long weekend. Final NSWSRU round of the season vs Beecroft at the College shapes as a cracker.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
After a wet weather and bye weekend spell here are tips for this weekend just for you 3rd man in

Div 1
Mosman v Balmain- 1 v 3 out as Rawson Oval, Wet Weather is tipped again ( no where near as bad) so games will be tighter than normal, have to stick with Mosman this week to strong for Balmain

Div 2
Blue Mountains v Hunters Hill- 1 v 3 Again up at Lapstone Oval, this is a massive game in the context of where either of these teams finish come semi final time, Blue Mountains have been unstoppable since their last defeat way back in Round 4. believe they will come home with the Win again, cant say that for their lower grades but certainly should come away with the Win.. Mountains by 8

Div 3
Brothers v Beecroft- Finally the almighty HAC have been knocked off their pirch. The Beecroft boys took all grades off HAC and proved that they are beatable, Brothers need to continue winning to stay in the 4 with a very tough run home and with Epping now leap frogging them into the 4
Going to say Beecroft will continue on theirs winning ways, Beecroft by 10

Div 4
Canterbury v Harlequins- pick of a pretty average roud when it comes to match ups, expect Canterbury to win by a few at home Canterbury by 20

On another note a couple of things coming out over the past few weeks

- Oatley forfeiting all Grades to Epping during the big wet after their ground was shut and Somerville Oval was apparently in great condition Prodigy can you confirm this

- Newport now pulling out of the 4th Grade competition, I would say that the men from Newport will be making the trip back down to Div 3 to consolidate and rebuild what was once a dominate force in Div 2

- Suburban have officially announced that Div 3 as of 2017 will be a 3 Grade team and Compulsory Colts team. One feels this is a great decision by subbies as they look to really bring in the Promotion and Relegation System

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

- Oatley forfeiting all Grades to Epping during the big wet after their ground was shut and Somerville Oval was apparently in great condition Prodigy can you confirm

- Suburban have officially announced that Div 3 as of 2017 will be a 3 Grade team and Compulsory Colts team. One feels this is a great decision by subbies as they look to really bring in the Promotion and Relegation System

Can confirm Oatley forfeited. The information was provided that our ground was open nice and early, Oatley had originally agreed (this info is second hand) and then requested we push the round back. Our guys were ready to play and we ordered food and had the ground ready to go.

The changeover to 3 grades and colts has not been a consultative decision. Division 3 (apart from kings old boys this year) has been the division Witt the least amount of hassles and forfeits. Unfortunately Subbies, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to mess with the one division that works. I just don't see enough clubs how forcing clubs to have colts (that have little previous history) is improving the game and running the game for the people.
I would have thought keeping the Redford cup colts system going as invitational would be the best way forward. For a club like ours, it will mean next year we are trying to organize two, maybe three, Halligans games each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can confirm Oatley forfeited. The information was provided that our ground was open nice and early, Oatley had originally agreed (this info is second hand) and then requested we push the round back. Our guys were ready to play and we ordered food and had the ground ready to go.

The changeover to 3 grades and colts has not been a consultative decision. Division 3 (apart from kings old boys this year) has been the division Witt the least amount of hassles and forfeits. Unfortunately Subbies, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to mess with the one division that works. I just don't see enough clubs how forcing clubs to have colts (that have little previous history) is improving the game and running the game for the people.
I would have thought keeping the Redford cup colts system going as invitational would be the best way forward. For a club like ours, it will mean next year we are trying to organize two, maybe three, Halligans games each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue of alienating older 4th grade & 5th grade players & club supporters is quite serious. Also I can see bar sales across subbies hitting a sharp decline in 2017. But potentially a better Halligan Cup competition and good week - to - week communication between Div 3 clubs should solve this issue.

Illawarra Senior Rugby used to be 3 grades and an U19 colts and it worked very well. However, that's providing you actually have the colts to start with! With Manly, Parramatta, Warringah, Penrith, & even Gordon struggling to field colts teams in SS over the last few years this move is a bit of a worry. Having been close to junior & colts rugby over the last 10 years getting colts to commit is BLOODY HARD WORK!

Also these colts players will need to come from somewhere and obviously if we foresee that Blacktown, Hawkesbury Valley, Hawkesbury Ag, Redfield, and Blue Mountains will all be required to have colts in 2017 then I can't see how this is any good for the SS Clubs of Penrith & Parramatta. But then again that's their problem I suppose not the subbies club.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't see the issue with western suburbs subbies clubs having colta teams. If it means young blokes enjoy their rugby, I say great. This is also assuming that Blacktown make the move up to Div 3 next year.

Jujah

Bob McCowan (2)
The issue of alienating older 4th grade & 5th grade players & club supporters is quite serious. Also I can see bar sales across subbies hitting a sharp decline in 2017. But potentially a better Halligan Cup competition and good week - to - week communication between Div 3 clubs should solve this issue.

Illawarra Senior Rugby used to be 3 grades and an U19 colts and it worked very well. However, that's providing you actually have the colts to start with! With Manly, Parramatta, Warringah, Penrith, & even Gordon struggling to field colts teams in SS over the last few years this move is a bit of a worry. Having been close to junior & colts rugby over the last 10 years getting colts to commit is BLOODY HARD WORK!

Also these colts players will need to come from somewhere and obviously if we foresee that Blacktown, Hawkesbury Valley, Hawkesbury Ag, Redfield, and Blue Mountains will all be required to have colts in 2017 then I can't see how this is any good for the SS Clubs of Penrith & Parramatta. But then again that's their problem I suppose not the subbies club.
With the exception of Hawkebury Ag - all of the teams named have healthy junior clubs of their own that they nurture as a feeder system to their colts and senior programs. You could add Hills to the list.

How they then feed into the Shute shield program is a more vexed question (and a different thread) that district clubs have tussled with for years.

At subbies level we should encourage and applaud clubs that have an under 6 to first grade view of their club. This is the only long term way to grow the game.

Old boys clubs have a different 'junior' structure and begs a similar - but different discussion on how they might find colts.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was a club secretary the last time (first time????) making Colts compulsory in Div 3 in ~2009. Every Div 3 club at the time agreed.

My view is you need to, for a whole raft of different reasons. The main two are it's great for the health of the game, in that it keeps more players involved (that would otherwise likely give up after school), and therefore great for the health and well being of the kids involved.

Halligan's is fun!

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
After a wet weather and bye weekend spell here are tips for this weekend just for you 3rd man in

Div 1
Mosman v Balmain- 1 v 3 out as Rawson Oval, Wet Weather is tipped again ( no where near as bad) so games will be tighter than normal, have to stick with Mosman this week to strong for Balmain

Div 2
Blue Mountains v Hunters Hill- 1 v 3 Again up at Lapstone Oval, this is a massive game in the context of where either of these teams finish come semi final time, Blue Mountains have been unstoppable since their last defeat way back in Round 4. believe they will come home with the Win again, cant say that for their lower grades but certainly should come away with the Win.. Mountains by 8

Div 3
Brothers v Beecroft- Finally the almighty HAC have been knocked off their pirch. The Beecroft boys took all grades off HAC and proved that they are beatable, Brothers need to continue winning to stay in the 4 with a very tough run home and with Epping now leap frogging them into the 4
Going to say Beecroft will continue on theirs winning ways, Beecroft by 10

Div 4
Canterbury v Harlequins- pick of a pretty average roud when it comes to match ups, expect Canterbury to win by a few at home Canterbury by 20

- Oatley forfeiting all Grades to Epping during the big wet after their ground was shut and Somerville Oval was apparently in great condition Prodigy can you confirm this

- Newport now pulling out of the 4th Grade competition, I would say that the men from Newport will be making the trip back down to Div 3 to consolidate and rebuild what was once a dominate force in Div 2

Good call with the canterbury harlequins match sv... just a bit off

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
2017 is starting to look like the below. 3rd Div may change a little depending on how clubs finish off the season.

DIV 1 5 grades + Colts
Balmain
Colleagues
Drummoyne
Knox
Lindfield
Mosman
Petersham
Waverley

DIV 2 4 grades + Colts

Blue Mountains
Forest
Hawkesbury Ag
Hills
Hunters Hill
St Pats
UNSW
Waverley

DIV 3 3 grades + Colts

Barkers OBs
Beecroft
Brothers
Epping
Hawkesbury Valley
Oatley
Old Iggies
Redfield OBs
Newport
St Ives

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Heavyd

Div. 1- that will be about right, will be interesting too see if they reintroduce the 5 grades and colts for up there

Div. 2- You've got Waverley in both Div. 1 and 2, think that would be Beecroft and im not sure about HAC as they don't have a colts. Would be more likely to be someone like Brothers, Epping or Possibly Redfield... Brothers and Epping have had Colts in the past and have heard both are pretty much able to field a side next year with the new structure.. Redfield are generally a Young club so they could be able to field one

Will certainly be interesting too see what happens with regards to Restructure

We may not get our normal draw in Div. 1, 2 and 3 before Christmas anymore, they may have to give clubs possibly until February March to let them know numbers and then base Division Structure/Teams off that

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div. 2- You've got Waverley in both Div. 1 and 2, think that would be Beecroft

Yep sorry meant Beecroft.

Status
Not open for further replies.