• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeachBreaker

Frank Nicholson (4)
To fix the lack of young players joining subbies clubs could they reduce the colts divisions in Shute shield Divisions. Is there really a need for 3 grades of colts...

thecarterskid

Peter Burge (5)
Tough for HV with the way the draw has panned out. Two away trips in a row to Dural and Turramurra. It can't be much fun doing that trip all the time!
From what I've heard they are jack of the complete draw. Every away game almost has to be a Bus Trip

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its an ongoing issue with Subbies - particularly those clubs with Saturday workers. I have Oatley away followed by Canterbury away on consecutive weekends, and our last bus trip wasn't well attended because people can't get to the bus in time for it to leave.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
If NSW Rugby was to "realign" so to speak, would it really be such a bad idea for subbies clubs to affiliate with Shute Shield clubs? It would help with the "rugby pathways" idea of basically starting in 3rd or 4th grade subbies and being able to work up towards Shute Shield or NRC if they wanted.

Obviously for it to go ahead and work there would need to be a drop in the players and grades Shute Shield clubs can field. 2 grades and a colts? A majority of players in 3rds and 4ths aren't going to moving up the ladder to 1sts any time soon. They drop down to their affiliated Subbies team and immediately there are 30 extra grade players minimum driven into subbies. Take away the surplus Colts sides and then we have 30 extra colts players in Subbies.

In order for the Subbies competition to survive, in my opinion it also needs to cap the growth of clubs to force them into other teams. Seeing Colleagues and Mosman run around with 6/7 grades a week and seeing other clubs in their area either die off or run with 1-2 grades is short sighted.

The game of rugby in Sydney just isn't what it used to be in the 80's and 90's with 1st Division being 5 grades with a surplus of players. It needs to be restructured to help clubs grow from 1 to 2 grades, 2 to 3 grades etc. not from 5 grades and colts to 6 grades and a colts.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its an ongoing issue with Subbies - particularly those clubs with Saturday workers. I have Oatley away followed by Canterbury away on consecutive weekends, and our last bus trip wasn't well attended because people can't get to the bus in time for it to leave.

Maybe time for Subbies in general to look at changing kickoff times? From memory most if not all grounds I've played at this season have lights. Push the times forward by 2 hours. 1sts is played under lights starting at 5.15pm?

Perhaps change the timings of the game too for grades to 30 min halves for all grades except 1sts in Div 1, 2 and 3 (the promotion/relegation divisions)? I know from experience that at Div 5 level, 80 minute players are at a bare minimum of not at all. The standard of rugby drops with about 15-20 mins left if not earlier since a majority of players are socially inclined.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think you get a bit of flux with the social v competitive player in lower divisions. As a result, reducing game times is no preparation for clubs being promoted, with players who want to see their club grow.

Don't want to create a haves v have-nots any more than it naturally is.

In order for the Subbies competition to survive, in my opinion it also needs to cap the growth of clubs to force them into other teams. Seeing Colleagues and Mosman run around with 6/7 grades a week and seeing other clubs in their area either die off or run with 1-2 grades is short sighted.

This bit I definitely agree with. Every week on the unofficial Subbies FB page I see 1st and 2nd Div clubs "desperate" for Halligan fixtures.

Kick a few of those players my way! They'll get all the rugby they want for a bargain price at Rouse Hill RC.

Six weeks to go. . . . . . . Six weeks to go. . . . . . .

giphy.gif

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe time for Subbies in general to look at changing kickoff times? From memory most if not all grounds I've played at this season have lights. Push the times forward by 2 hours. 1sts is played under lights starting at 5.15pm?

Need a certain quality of light is the thing - training lights aren't playing lights.

I remember many years ago playing Chatswood at Beauchamp Oval under lights, because it was Anzac Day on the Saturday.

I personally knocked on at the base of the ruck three times on a pick n go and the ref missed it, standing right there :)

thecarterskid

Peter Burge (5)
If NSW Rugby was to "realign" so to speak, would it really be such a bad idea for subbies clubs to affiliate with Shute Shield clubs? It would help with the "rugby pathways" idea of basically starting in 3rd or 4th grade subbies and being able to work up towards Shute Shield or NRC if they wanted.

Obviously for it to go ahead and work there would need to be a drop in the players and grades Shute Shield clubs can field. 2 grades and a colts? A majority of players in 3rds and 4ths aren't going to moving up the ladder to 1sts any time soon. They drop down to their affiliated Subbies team and immediately there are 30 extra grade players minimum driven into subbies. Take away the surplus Colts sides and then we have 30 extra colts players in Subbies.

The game of rugby in Sydney just isn't what it used to be in the 80's and 90's with 1st Division being 5 grades with a surplus of players. It needs to be restructured to help clubs grow from 1 to 2 grades, 2 to 3 grades etc. not from 5 grades and colts to 6 grades and a colts.
I've been thinking the association thing for a while now, there needs to be a way where Shute shield clubs are encouraged to send players to Subbies and vice versa. On the timings I'd go one step further and run Shute Shield on Sundays so the Subbies guys can go watch their associated Shute 1st graders run around. A lot more to work through on it, but I really think it's worth a shot.

Plus, I'd probably brush the NRC and maybe increase/elevate Shute shield???

Kiko

Bob McCowan (2)
I've been thinking the association thing for a while now, there needs to be a way where Shute shield clubs are encouraged to send players to Subbies and vice versa. On the timings I'd go one step further and run Shute Shield on Sundays so the Subbies guys can go watch their associated Shute 1st graders run around. A lot more to work through on it, but I really think it's worth a shot.

Plus, I'd probably brush the NRC and maybe increase/elevate Shute shield???

Tell me of your sweet juices mangoman

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)

Completely agree! We had Manly away last week, Dee Why away this weekend and Burraneer the next. Tough to get the players there, even with the bus, because guys have to work.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

Like Communism, great in theory, crap in practice. Colleagues is a great example. They won't go to other Clubs, they'll just play for Convicts. Mosman would just create Balmoral Rugby Club or some such. It could work at Shute level where players have ambition and want to chase the honours.

For the same reason Pfitzy stands against the tsunami of crap that hits him every week or Ossie Bob goes on about the yo-yo BOBs from foreign shores; Subbies players love their Club and will only leave when it folds or the diagnosis is terminal. Sadly they will probably just stop playing if they can't get a run at their preferred Club.

I'm sorry for sounding negative. Your idea is good but I just don't think it could work. Not without a long transition and the death (and birth) of a lot of smaller clubs. Maybe it's the surgery needed to stop the rot.

Cameron McConaughey

Frank Row (1)
1 - D Garcia Luna (Convicts)
2 - C Del Rosario (Redfield)
3 - S Ribeiro (Mosman)
4 - A Oreglia (Waverley)
5 - A Morassut (Balmain)
6 - M Barbariol (Waverley)
7 - A Adreacchio (Chatswood)
8 - F Labalaba (Drummoyne)
9 - G Bordes (Waverley)
10 - P Lagrolet (Waverley)
11 - A Repsevicius (Balmain)
12 - D Alemparte (Waverley)
13 - P Quiroz Ferreira (Maccabi)
14 - S Derradji (Waverley)
15 - D De Santos (Epping)

Ireland will take you all on :)

Coach: P O'Mahoney

1 - D O'Sullivan (Syd Irish)
2 - D Bardon (Syd Irish)
3 - P O'Neill (Syd Irish)
4 - C Keane (Syd Irish)
5 - J Kiely (Syd Irish)
6 - P Byrne (Syd Irish)
7 - G Reynolds (Syd Irish)
8 - G Meaney (Syd Irish)
9 - D Ward (Syd Irish)
10 - M Jarret (Syd Irish)
11 - J Mulholland (Syd Irish)
12 - C Neary (Syd Irish)
13 - M Kenny (Syd Irish)
14 - D Kelleher (Syd Irish)
15 - G McQuillan (Syd Irish)

16 - A Cremin (Syd Irish)
17 - C Seery (Syd Irish)
18 - O Collins (Syd Irish)
19 - L Shoyer (Syd Irish)
20 - D Bourke (Syd Irish)
21 - R Cauchi (Syd Irish)
22 - B O'Sullivan (Syd Irish)

Cameron McConaughey

Frank Row (1)
Div 4:

Sydney Irish v CANTERBURY - County Coogee might be a bit of a graveyard for the men in green tomorrow, with a firm artificial surface for Berries forwards to run rampant on. The personnel count for Irish will be down due to Lions tour I suspect.

The full fleat will be back next week. We just have to survive another week and we should be fine. If you take out our prop stocks, the rest of the BIL tour has not crucified us to much.

S

Saint Yves

Ireland will take you all on :)

Coach: P O'Mahoney

1 - D O'Sullivan (Syd Irish)
2 - D Bardon (Syd Irish)
3 - P O'Neill (Syd Irish)
4 - C Keane (Syd Irish)
5 - J Kiely (Syd Irish)
6 - P Byrne (Syd Irish)
7 - G Reynolds (Syd Irish)
8 - G Meaney (Syd Irish)
9 - D Ward (Syd Irish)
10 - M Jarret (Syd Irish)
11 - J Mulholland (Syd Irish)
12 - C Neary (Syd Irish)
13 - M Kenny (Syd Irish)
14 - D Kelleher (Syd Irish)
15 - G McQuillan (Syd Irish)

16 - A Cremin (Syd Irish)
17 - C Seery (Syd Irish)
18 - O Collins (Syd Irish)
19 - L Shoyer (Syd Irish)
20 - D Bourke (Syd Irish)
21 - R Cauchi (Syd Irish)
22 - B O'Sullivan (Syd Irish)

I have made this team just for Bes. Some of these players should be at the top of Eppings recruitment drive for next year too.

Introducing the Japanese Dragons. Surely they are the favourites for the World Cup so far.

Coach - Birchgrove Bes
Home ground - Somerville Oval Epping

1 - P Nikau (Convicts)
2 - J Tato (Drummoyne)
3 - W Kuki (Knox)
4 - S Omido (Beecroft)
5 - W Yeo (Colleagues)
6 - I Tamata (Waverley)
7 - C Ching (Forest)
8 - M Weerakoon (St Ives)
9 - B Yip (Brothers)
10 - J Pan (Lindfield)
11 - A Phan (Epping)
12 - C Phanpho (Iggies)
13 - J Tang (Lane Cove)
14 - J Ireko (Hawksbury)
15 - N Nomoa (Epping)
16 - K Lea (Dukes)
17 - J How (Chatswood)
18 - W Sarwom (UNSW)

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
I have made this team just for Bes. Some of these players should be at the top of Eppings recruitment drive for next year too.

Introducing the Japanese Dragons. Surely they are the favourites for the World Cup so far.

Coach - Birchgrove Bes
Home ground - Somerville Oval Epping

1 - P Nikau (Convicts)
2 - J Tato (Drummoyne)
3 - W Kuki (Knox)
4 - S Omido (Beecroft)
5 - W Yeo (Colleagues)
6 - I Tamata (Waverley)
7 - C Ching (Forest)
8 - M Weerakoon (St Ives)
9 - B Yip (Brothers)
10 - J Pan (Lindfield)
11 - A Phan (Epping)
12 - C Phanpho (Iggies)
13 - J Tang (Lane Cove)
14 - J Ireko (Hawksbury)
15 - N Nomoa (Epping)
16 - K Lea (Dukes)
17 - J How (Chatswood)
18 - W Sarwom (UNSW)
We could try to name a South African team to play the Japanese team....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BeachBreaker

Frank Nicholson (4)
news around the grounds is that we will be seeing a lot more forfeits throughout the grades. Time for some clubs to merge I reckon.

sandeep

Stan Wickham (3)
i have contacted mr tim richards the president of rugby subbies about the the world cup. i will inform you of his response.

sandeep

sandeep

Stan Wickham (3)
i also emailed the rugby teams

sandeep

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 2.28.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 2.28.41 pm.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 221
Status
Not open for further replies.