• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hey All, Ive been reading the threads here and noticed this forum has been a bit flat of late. I am going to try something . I will be posting rumours relating to All divisions of subbies rugby. Send them to me via a private message and i will post them without your name of course. I will also be adding some of my own rumours. Cheers and fire away.

Whats the scoop Rumour Ron? Which clubs is booming and which clubs are on life support?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
With Balmain playing Hunters in trials this weekend it should be a good chance for Ron to build some stories. Allegedly Balmain's spend this year will be nowhere near next year's big spend - when Cronk turns up for them. ;)

The battle of the professionals. Have Hunters "recruited" any former internationals this year?

Rumour Ron

Frank Row (1)
Firstly thank you to all who have sent me messages with facts and rumours.
Here's a few to ponder over.
All in all most clubs toeing the amateur line. The Lindfield saga seems to have helped fight the good fight.
There will be more than 1 former international running around in Subbies this year. None are an issue with any Subbies rules.
Epping played a suspended player from another club during their trial campaign. I am not saying anyone from Epping knew he was suspended but still not a good look.
Most clubs in Div 1 have had a good off season, it promises to be a great comp this year.
Can't say the same for div 2, 2 clubs struggling there.
Good to see div 5 up and running, this in my opinion is the best thing to happen in Subbies for a while, this will help a number of clubs build nicely into 3 or 4 team clubs.
Enjoy lads and good luck tomorrow.
Until next time.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Epping played a suspended player from another club during their trial campaign. I am not saying anyone from Epping knew he was suspended but still not a good look.

Bullshit. I'm associated with Epping. PM me the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They need to stress less. Players can be added in up until Tuesday 5pm. There is usually a 2 week grace period for the start of the season, maybe longer with the new system.

This is what I took it to mean.

"Registered" means their forms must be done. There is no way to enter new players through the app, so you leave "Player 5" as "Player 5" until you enter them online that night.

I'm going to have a shitload of those tomorrow.

The app looks decent - I'll have to use it in action a couple of times, but I think its really good how you can make a teamsheet when you announce the team, then not worry about anything but small changes until you rock up on Saturday.

My concern is how to track opposition red/yellow cards, which was an important part of the paper system.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What's the name of that Soccer club?

Tough going for rugby if they are pulling in numbers like that.

Kellyville United Football Club (KUFC).

We nearly ended up with multipurpose posts on the ground due to a lack of communication at Council. That will probably happen next year if our club continues its downward spiral.

Good to see div 5 up and running, this in my opinion is the best thing to happen in Subbies for a while, this will help a number of clubs build nicely into 3 or 4 team clubs.

For a time, it might.

There are a hell of a lot of clubs who have never - and will NEVER - taste Division 3 or higher because they simply can't create the conditions to do so.

Without millionaire sponsors, nobody can afford to get a facility to themselves and no Council will give them one anyway due to demand from other sports.

Maybe I can look into hitting up a local school for their ground, but then the facilities (incl carparking, change sheds, etc) aren't always available.

If I'm still doing this in a year, shoot me maybe I'll have built some relationships around the community to do this.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like we're going to Briars today with a bare two teams, and a couple of cricket scores. Hopefully the injury count isn't too bad as I'd planned to run touch only and be President.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
St Ives beat Brothers in all grades except for Saints forefeiting colts?

Id heard Vinny Byrne has lead an exodus to Forest. Do we have visibility of saints performance as I'd heard a large Fijian player group have joined Hassell park.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looks like we're going to Briars today with a bare two teams, and a couple of cricket scores. Hopefully the injury count isn't too bad as I'd planned to run touch only and be President.

Looks like a tough day at the office Pfitzy

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)

Id heard Vinny Byrne has lead an exodus to Forest. Do we have visibility of saints performance as I'd heard a large Fijian player group have joined Hassell park.
Waverley win all grades against Balmain.

HAC got a tough welcome to Div 2 from Forest. I heard Vinny Byrne is playing 4th grade for Forest. I guess we'll know when team sheets are online.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

From the team sheets, doesn't look like a lot of Fijians at st Ives. Looks like a lot of guys who have been their a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like a tough day at the office Pfitzy

Yeah. Shipping 67 and 93 points respectively was a bit tough to take. The 7 we scored was a penalty try ;)

Of course, we only had 26 players in total. And only about 5 of them are First Grade quality, while maybe a dozen were really Third Grade (the social players, mostly).

I played almost all of First Grade, and most of that at prop. Neck starting to stiffen now.

My big concern was my Second Grade coach who managed to break his scapula (shoulder blade) in two places. Even the surgeon says its a freak injury for a guy his size.

Good to have a beer with Briars afterwards, though we lost the boat race, too.

On to next week. We should have a few more numbers available for our first home game, but the week after we're at Oatley and I expect them to stomp shit out of us, given what they did to Harlequins today.

Taffia

Frank Row (1)
Waverley win all grades against Balmain.

HAC got a tough welcome to Div 2 from Forest. I heard Vinny Byrne is playing 4th grade for Forest. I guess we'll know when team sheets are online.

Certainly was a tough introduction to Div 2 , Forest were extremely well drilled in the forwards across all grades. 1st grade was extremely close till Forest racked up 3 tries in the final 10 mins. Lineout was a mess for HAC , I think we lost around 12 on our own ball. Bit of a rebuilding season in 1sts for HAC having lost around 9 or 10 1st graders from last years squad due to retirements and others moving over to Windsor Wolves to play league for good money. Final score Forest 27-5 HAC.

2nd grade was another close affair with HAC getting up 12-10, Forest missing a penalty from 45m out to win it on the buzzer.

Colts was a good game , HAC started with only 14 players and lost 2 in the first half to concussion, but gave a brave account playing 12 men for most of the game, going down 46-14.

3rd grade was a weird one for us, Forest were dominant in the set piece but HAC still managed to get enough ball to be dangerous. 2 long range intercept tries cost us in a game we really should have won. Forests goal line defence proving very tough to crack and in the end they ran out 24-12 winners.

4th Grade was always going to be a struggle for us now, having to field a colts team has depleted our 3rd and 4th grade stocks. Forest again dominating in the forwards, especially in the scrum, their piggies are a great unit. Forest running out 24-0 winners.

All in all a tough day for us at a very hospitable venue, a great crowd to watch the games with and plenty of good natured banter. Nearly all long road trips for us this season and missing upwards of 26 players yesterday meant a few guys playing 2 games really took its toll on a very warm afternoon. I expect us to still be very strong at home but the road trips will make for very long days this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
having lost around 9 or 10 1st graders from last years squad due to retirements and others moving over to Windsor Wolves to play league for good money.

Shocked I am not.

Between the suspensions that ended last year, league, and guys moving to other clubs, Blacktown and Rouse Hill have lost around 50 players between them. Some of ours went to Blacktown and they STILL had to forfeit Thirds yesterday.

We're forfeiting Thirds ongoing, and that is unlikely to change.

That is a big trap because from a numbers point of view we'll get back to something reasonable. But from a quality point of view? I've got Third grade and social players up in Seconds getting beaten up by what are effectively Reserve First Grade.

I'll have Seconds in First Grade getting walloped by some clubs.

My First Grade got trounced by Briars, not because of size and power but due to a lack of youth and pace.

Oatley Firsts forward pack have at least two former internationals, a Subbies rep and Barraclough medal winner, and former First-grade players from as far and wide as the Canberra First Grade comp. Their backs sound just as good. They're probably all in their 20s as well.

Irish and Harlequins are fit, well-drilled, and many of them don't work Saturdays. Canterbury are very solid, have a lot of talented Islander lads as well. Blacktown will still have a level of competitiveness we can't seem to muster.

About to send an email to Tim to follow up my previous request to move to Fifth Division. The travel will still suck, and First Grade will still be First Grade,
Otherwise you might as well wrap the club up, because 6th Division is a death sentence as far as I'm concerned. Once I'm down to a single team, my chances of getting the required facilities in competition with soccer are somewhere between "fuck all" and "none".
Yay rugby.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Waverley rinsing Balmain is interesting!

Was anyone there? Poor performance from Balmain or complete dominance from Waverley?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just did the numbers: of last year's regular First Grade pool, there are about 4 who are around. Another 3-4 "maybes" coming back.

Missing about a dozen First quality Grade players besides. Not all were there all season of course - they flitted in and out due to work and family things. Or just not being bothered to show up that day.

But three of those regulars I know the whereabouts of: Gordon 4th Grade fullback, and 2 guys gone to league.

Have sent email to Subbies with my concerns. No response yet but the grapevine murmurs that change is afoot.

Have a note in my calendar to call Oatley next Monday morning and inform them of my intention to forfeit all Three Grades. Depends what happens on Saturday, but I just don't think we're going to do anything except pick up more injuries.

Its a shame for them, because naturally they'd like the same opportunity to rack up the same cricket scores every other club does against us.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Just did the numbers: of last year's regular First Grade pool, there are about 4 who are around. Another 3-4 "maybes" coming back.

Missing about a dozen First quality Grade players besides. Not all were there all season of course - they flitted in and out due to work and family things. Or just not being bothered to show up that day.

But three of those regulars I know the whereabouts of: Gordon 4th Grade fullback, and 2 guys gone to league.

Have sent email to Subbies with my concerns. No response yet but the grapevine murmurs that change is afoot.

Have a note in my calendar to call Oatley next Monday morning and inform them of my intention to forfeit all Three Grades. Depends what happens on Saturday, but I just don't think we're going to do anything except pick up more injuries.

Its a shame for them, because naturally they'd like the same opportunity to rack up the same cricket scores every other club does against us.

Ah Pfitzy, I feel for ya. Its a tough gig especially with a whole bunch of non committal blokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.