• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
This is sad news for a great club. Unfortunately it's a just visible symptom of the wider malaise Subbies finds themselves in.

I don't know the answer, but I would love to find one.

Subbies officials have played a significant role in this as they held on for so long without restructuring the competition when clubs and player numbers were telling them rugby was struggling. Clubs that admitted to be in trouble for grades where immediately threatened with relegation and told they should just suck it up and find more players. My read on things is multiple subbies clubs will struggle to meet the new Divisional grade requirements with at least three DIV 2 clubs very concerned around early numbers. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Subbies officials have played a significant role in this as they held on for so long without restructuring the competition when clubs and player numbers were telling them rugby was struggling. Clubs that admitted to be in trouble for grades where immediately threatened with relegation and told they should just suck it up and find more players. My read on things is multiple subbies clubs will struggle to meet the new Divisional grade requirements with at least three DIV 2 clubs very concerned around early numbers. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I disagree. There is only so much 2 blokes in Moore Park can do. I think they have been accommodating to the clubs that have imploded in recent times (there have been a few!)

Telling clubs to find more players is really all they can do most of the time. The responsibility has to lie with individual clubs.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
I think many clubs find themselves in a shit position around March/April and by then it is too late to help them.

Clubs that approach Subbies in October are usually looked after.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I disagree. There is only so much 2 blokes in Moore Park can do. I think they have been accommodating to the clubs that have imploded in recent times (there have been a few!)

Telling clubs to find more players is really all they can do most of the time. The responsibility has to lie with individual clubs.

Majority of blame lies with ARU for zero promotion of rugby at grassroots level. All my mates teenage daughters are playing AFL this year as they have been very busy in schools. Word from SJRU is regos are down 35% across some clubs from last year. Our great game has some significant challenges.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Promotion of the game is one thing. Just having an actual, public profile is another. The ARU can't get a network to buy Super Rugby rights that aren't on offer. And a replay on a Sunday morning is all well and good, but it still doesn't put the game in the public eye on a daily basis.

If I could get a Pro Rugby player to a local school, or even a juniors training session, barely any of the kids would know who the hell they were. And if you want someone high-profile, get in line or put your money where your mouth is.

We didn't get time to start promoting junior rugby until February, and up at Rouse Hill Town centre, 60% of people walking past would say "already signed up to league/soccer/AFL". Some of them at least look like they regretted it once we told them it was only $50 for Minis and $100 for Juniors.

Literally, that's all we've got: the ability to fund a junior team for under $200 a head. In that, we're streets ahead of other sports.

Even then, we'll be lucky to run 1 each of U6, U7, and U8 this year. I'm seriously considering a merger with another local club - they can run juniors, we'll run seniors, and let's share a Ground.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Majority of blame lies with ARU for zero promotion of rugby at grassroots level.
The ARU doesn't know what grassroots rugby is. I've been to several ARU events and luncheons recently, and every time they talk "grassroots" they mean Shute Shield. I've spoken with more than one official who honestly didn't seem to know what Subbies is.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The ARU doesn't know what grassroots rugby is. I've been to several ARU events and luncheons recently, and every time they talk "grassroots" they mean Shute Shield. I've spoken with more than one official who honestly didn't seem to know what Subbies is.

As long as Pulver is earning his brick and a half then I am happy. The game is on its knees and no one cares.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Majority of blame lies with ARU for zero promotion of rugby at grassroots level. All my mates teenage daughters are playing AFL this year as they have been very busy in schools. Word from SJRU is regos are down 35% across some clubs from last year. Our great game has some significant challenges.

Can we also add in to this all the people who seem to undermine anything positive that happens - i.e The Australian Women win Gold last August and within a fortnight, Papworth et al are changing the rugby discussion whinging about grass-roots (read Shute Shield, agree with everyone above) and about pulling out of Super Rugby

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyone want a trial for one team tomorrow? We've got Central Coast coming down but they've only got 16 guys. We're likely to have more than that at this stage. One grade, case of beer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Entrance belted six shades out of us on the scoreboard. But they still have paid players up there, and a couple of them were very, VERY good. While we were a bit of a rabble.

Great day. I'm sunburned as fuck, but a bunch of players turned up and paid their rego :eek: which is weird for us.

But at least my message is getting through. Right now I'm home recovering while some of the club are down the pub. Wish I could have gone, but hadn't seen the wife since dawn as I was setting up ground etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Might have another trial against KOBs in a couple of weeks @barbarian so dust your boots off ;)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ooooh no thanks. Getting beaten up by your blokes while you hurl obscenities from the sidelines is the last thing on my 'to do' list.

Might find a more local club this year. Didn't play last year and am missing it a bit. Or move to coaching.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Local to where?

Going to be very interesting for KOBs and a couple of other clubs - I know Menai want to look at two teams but would struggle with 3.

Lane Cove also had a chat to me today about Colts but I think we'd struggle to get that up just in terms of having enough people at the appropriate age with no real juniors program of our own.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There are other teams in that particular area, but I know a few of the guys from Sydney Harlequins and they're a good bunch. Sydney Irish too.

Plus they'll have three Grades this year (4th Division with us) and you get to play against my blokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.