• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
For those interested that haven't seen anything yet. Subbies Sevens this Saturday 18th at Grantham Reserve, Seven Hills. First Game at 10.00, Cup Final at 3pm.
Clubs Playing:
Div 1: Mosman, Petersham, St Pats
Div 2: Beecroft, HAC, Hunters Hill, Lindfield, UNSW
Div 3: Redfield
Div 4: Blacktown, Briars, Mac Uni, Oatley
Div 6: Burraneer, Maccabi, Manly Savers

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We put our hands up but maybe too late - Subbies had 16 teams so unless there is a dropout, we're no go.

That is if the ground is even open - inspection Thursday afternoon, but given the forecast, I doubt whether Hills Council (sorry: "The Hills"), who are very fussy with their poorly-managed turf, will want to see it chopped up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
LOL email from the local soccer association:

"So we've got the ground every second week from April 8, right?"

Uh, no madam. You have the ground when we don't need it. Not sure what Council has told you, but fact #1 is we get first shot. The end.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Wont be any rugby on this weekend with the Big Wet, by the sounds of things will be lucky for some trials to go ahead next week with rain forecasted all next week as well

Don't know when subbies will be able to reschedule the 7s.

36 Days out from Season Proper, hows everyone looking, think Div 2 will be extremely interesting this year and will be keeping a keen eye on Div 3 with Newport and BOBS moving down to see how they go

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Wont be any rugby on this weekend with the Big Wet, by the sounds of things will be lucky for some trials to go ahead next week with rain forecasted all next week as well

Don't know when subbies will be able to reschedule the 7s.

36 Days out from Season Proper, hows everyone looking, think Div 2 will be extremely interesting this year and will be keeping a keen eye on Div 3 with Newport and BOBS moving down to see how they go

Tim's email cancelled it, with entry fees being credited to the clubs rego. So I'd say it won't be re-scheduled for this year.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I see the Rats are playing Gordon at Porters Reserve tomorrow in a trial if not rain impacted. Looks like a good initiative by Breakers and Rats.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Can only speak for our Division 4 brethren, and must say things are really interesting in terms of openness in the competition.

We're going to field a very social 3rd Grade side by the looks of things, and at the moment our top 2 grades are still very blurry in terms of structure and talent.

I definitely have the coaches I want, but the "no pay no play" policy appears to be confusing for a few people who previously got an easy ride. I hope that will be rectified in the next couple of weeks as people finally give into peer pressure.

Its $220 FFS. I'm only asking $100 of that by April 8, and they've known about it since December!

Its a little galling when someone turns up to training in a $50,000 ute and changes out of $200 shoes to hold back on $100.

Re: Colts - spoke with Covies this week as they're interested in getting a standalone Colts comp going with Oatley, maybe Burraneer, Briars as starters. Don't think we'll have the numbers for it, but definitely a good initiative.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I applaud you no pay no play stance, but what happens when the gun no 10 friend of the hooker turns up on Sat morning and doesn't have the cash.
Do you play him and collect the money next week or not.
Again not critisng.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We've discussed two main scenarios:

Scenario 1 is the mate who's only in town for a week. That is a hard discussion because they just want a bit of fun. Problem is, we don't know them, they've not paid us a cent, and it isn't going to be in their financial best interests to pay $100 for a game of footy.

Additionally, if they throw a punch and get our club in shit, we look like a bunch of fucking clowns for letting them on the field if we know they're on a plane the next day.

Scenario 2 - what you're referring to above - is the guy who shows up "to have a look" at the club and show his wares without paying.

My advice to all existing players will be: if you want to look, come to training to see who we are.

If you like what you see, you will be given appropriate details on how you register with the club via financial commitment. If we like what we see, you'll be able to play the appropriate grade. :)

If someone turns up on game day as a mate of an existing player and doesn't understand this, then somewhere a communication breakdown has occurred. And it won't be on the part of the Committee or Coaching staff :)

These moves also limit theft (which was an issue last year with particular blow-ins) and ensures we at least have their details in case, as with the above, they get our club in shit.

We're going to be on a short leash with Subbies this year, though it won't be too onerous as we can't afford a bond payment anyway. Probably have our tolerable offence count lowered, and I can't in any way argue with that.

So if people want to turn up at random and play, they're going to be sorely disappointed if they don't have the appropriate cash, photo ID, and attitude to get on the field. I'll forfeit games if I have to.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
We've discussed two main scenarios:

Scenario 1 is the mate who's only in town for a week. That is a hard discussion because they just want a bit of fun. Problem is, we don't know them, they've not paid us a cent, and it isn't going to be in their financial best interests to pay $100 for a game of footy.

Additionally, if they throw a punch and get our club in shit, we look like a bunch of fucking clowns for letting them on the field if we know they're on a plane the next day.

Scenario 2 - what you're referring to above - is the guy who shows up "to have a look" at the club and show his wares without paying.

My advice to all existing players will be: if you want to look, come to training to see who we are.

If you like what you see, you will be given appropriate details on how you register with the club via financial commitment. If we like what we see, you'll be able to play the appropriate grade. :)

If someone turns up on game day as a mate of an existing player and doesn't understand this, then somewhere a communication breakdown has occurred. And it won't be on the part of the Committee or Coaching staff :)

These moves also limit theft (which was an issue last year with particular blow-ins) and ensures we at least have their details in case, as with the above, they get our club in shit.

We're going to be on a short leash with Subbies this year, though it won't be too onerous as we can't afford a bond payment anyway. Probably have our tolerable offence count lowered, and I can't in any way argue with that.

So if people want to turn up at random and play, they're going to be sorely disappointed if they don't have the appropriate cash, photo ID, and attitude to get on the field. I'll forfeit games if I have to.

Again congrats to you on your stance , i just wish more clubs in sydney would do the same. Would clean up a lot of the crap.
Good luck for the season

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sometimes kept up at night wondering if we're even going to be able to field all Three grades consistently. I worry about the social players at the club having to play two games and getting injured, leaving me even shorter.

But I won't budge from the stance we've taken. The club can't afford that kind of behaviour any more, even if it means we finish dead last. I don't give a shit.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sometimes kept up at night wondering if we're even going to be able to field all Three grades consistently. I worry about the social players at the club having to play two games and getting injured, leaving me even shorter.

But I won't budge from the stance we've taken. The club can't afford that kind of behaviour any more, even if it means we finish dead last. I don't give a shit.

Sounds like you're settling in to the role of a local footy club administrator then!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Meeting with Subbies last night over our conditions of entry. They're pretty happy with the direction we're heading, but there will be a bond of some sort and we need to adopt the recommended disciplinary policy.

Cool with all of that.

Divisional Meeting for 4, 5, 6 didn't turn up any surprises for Div 4. I wanted to stick around to see whether Div 5 might get up in some form, but I hadn't eaten dinner at that point so headed off.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We haven't even been able to train!

I know there will be a few trials on the next two weekends IF grounds are open. Burraneer and Blacktown and Wakehurst were trying to get something on. Next weekend we'll be over somewhere east for Maccabi. Need to get some teams onto the paddock in prep for season.

Rumour Ron

Frank Row (1)
Hey All, Ive been reading the threads here and noticed this forum has been a bit flat of late. I am going to try something . I will be posting rumours relating to All divisions of subbies rugby. Send them to me via a private message and i will post them without your name of course. I will also be adding some of my own rumours. Cheers and fire away.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Hey All, Ive been reading the threads here and noticed this forum has been a bit flat of late. I am going to try something . I will be posting rumours relating to All divisions of subbies rugby. Send them to me via a private message and i will post them without your name of course. I will also be adding some of my own rumours. Cheers and fire away.
Thanks dowden, will let you know

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

When will Rumour Ron return? Will he expose any mischief? Or will he resort to blaming Balmain and Tim Richards for the ruin of Subbies Rugby and then discuss Balmain's alleged spending?

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
When will Rumour Ron return? Will he expose any mischief? Or will he resort to blaming Balmain and Tim Richards for the ruin of Subbies Rugby and then discuss Balmain's alleged spending?

With Balmain playing Hunters in trials this weekend it should be a good chance for Ron to build some stories. Allegedly Balmain's spend this year will be nowhere near next year's big spend - when Cronk turns up for them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.