• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm going to answer this in multiple parts, so I can fully elucidate my thoughts on each.

Pfitzy think its time to swallow the pride and drop down to Div 6 in 2018,

Pride is an odd choice of words - I assume you're just using a turn of phrase there.

Its less about pride than it is lying shunts who said they love the club then did fuck all about showing it.

I had 30 guys - and many new guys - turn up and put down $50 or more at our first trial in March for a single Grade game. That was amazing.

Training was then was shit on by the weather and a Council without any commonsense or balls. By the time of our Second Trial in April, all these loverboy heroes had fucked off.

I told Subbies straight away and gave them notice, and a solution i.e. 5th Division restart, in any form, would be something I and other clubs were happy to do.

The Board decided my plan conflicted with a stable 4th Division.

And I agree that a bye sucks arse, particularly if you get one up against the Wet Weather/Comp Wide Bye* double header. Three weeks off is bullshit in the middle of a season.

Instead, they're giving them the next best thing: a wounded club that isn't even a challenge in either of the Two Grades its contesting.

I've been nothing BUT honest with Tim through this whole business.

And now there is a 5th Division. And I'm glad for those clubs that are in it.

I just wish I was one of them.

* Noting clearly that I'm not the one who forced a Competition-wide bye on the other clubs. That was Subbies. They bear that cross, and IMHO the reasons why aren't exactly sound.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
obviously nothing can be done this year,

Of course it can. Its just that Subbies have never planned adequately for adverse circumstances.

They've never thought about the fact that some clubs are going to have a murderously strong first grade some years, while others aren't.

They've never even contemplated the flaws in the Divisional structure - particularly for lower division clubs - or the changing demographics and how they affect the inclusiveness of our game.

What do you say to the prop who says he can't make the weekend because, unless he works that shift, the boss will punt him? Even if you're desperately short of props?

What do you say to the guy who is happy to pay full rego, knowing he'll only be able to come to home games because he works Saturday morning?

but I think if your club is going to survive and one day be back to what it was its something that needs to be done. Beecroft in a way did it and it worked wonders, and so did Waverley and we have all seen the rise of both of these clubs again

Again, I find that point arguable - did Beecroft or Waverley drop down to a single team?

Because that changes absolutely everything.

Sixth Division is like a hospital - some people come out of hospital better, and some die. For our club, its the latter. Go check the clubs who've been forced to go down from lower divisions and see how they recover. Mostly, they don't.

I'll still have older guys who want a run. Where do I give them a game? Some of those Clubs in 6th Div are happy as pigs in shit, don't even WANT to move up, and dust their hands off at the end of the year and go back to their surf boats or cricket or whatever. Its an offseason for them.

I'll still have younger guys who want to play the whole 80. How long will they stick around if they're not getting on the park every week for the time they want?

"Oh well you don't want THOSE people in your club" the easterners sniff loudly into their artisan kaleburgers.

Well, I don't exactly have a choice now, do I? I'm bracketed by clubs in higher divisions than me in a heavily League-supporting and soccer-playing area. I've got a club in my Division just up the road. I've got to take what I can get.

And not having a second or third grade to give the social players a go will kill my club quicker than this year promises to do.

Not to mention I'm stuck with Council Grounds, and have ravenous soccer clubs who would shrug if my club died and say "well that's a shame".

How many home grounds has YOUR club had in the last 10 years?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not sure as well what Forfeiting all grades to Oatley would achieve either, yes it may avoid embarrassment and Injury

Embarrassment I don't give a fuck about.

Putting another guy in hospital and having his wife in tears on the phone to me, I do.

Yes, there are inherent risks to rugby. We all accept that. I'm not responsible for his injury. But I'm responsible for ensuring others don't get into the same situation if I can help it.

Guys backing up, game after game, equals injuries.

Guys playing in a Grade they're not suited for, equals injuries.

And then I'll have to drop Second Grade and STILL get guys without enough ability or fitness beaten up, and injured.

And when I'm down to less than 15 regular players, and they start leaving because the scores are piling up and they've seen all the other injuries, I won't be embarrassed.

I'll probably vary between depressed and utterly fucking ropeable.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Do agree with you on the fact that most players think that sponsors cover rego costs.

Most players think the club appears by magic every year so they can have fun with their mates. And they don't understand when I get the shits about it.

I tried to change the culture. And the Committee applauded that move and agreed to it.

Then, when the numbers disappeared, and Subbies were more worried about the inconvenience to other 7 clubs in my Division than the survival of mine, some of my senior playing group (including a committee member) decided we should soften our stance.

So I asked "and what happens when our plan for them to pay $20/week means they only attend home games anyway?"

"Uh-"

"And then, when some of these guys turn up 15 minutes before kickoff without $20 and say they'll pay later, and we planned for them to fill out our numbers, what do we do?"

"Uh WE JUST NEED NUMBERS OK?!!"

What do you do?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'll be heading out to Balmain on Saturday. I need a break from Super. Anything I should look for? I presume there is no beer. Is it cool to bring an esky?

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll be heading out to Balmain on Saturday. I need a break from Super. Anything I should look for? I presume there is no beer. Is it cool to bring an esky?

Not cool to take your own beer to any home ground mate. Canteens are the lifeblood of Subbies rugby & although it might cost you $2 more a beer than if you bought yourself at least its cold & you know you are supporting grass roots along the way

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not cool to take your own beer to any home ground mate. Canteens are the lifeblood of Subbies rugby & although it might cost you $2 more a beer than if you bought yourself at least its cold & you know you are supporting grass roots along the way

Hang on, they've got a beer canteen! $2 to carry the beer in, and I don't have to is a bargain.

Thanks for the tip!

Nath

Bill Watson (15)

Sadly, there's always a dickhead who does this.

Althought I have been to some grounds that don't sell it, and were happy for us to bring a few beers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK I'll bring the esky in case, but buy the beer if available.

:)

I'm asking questions because I don't want to be "that dickhead". I'm just a fan looking for a club. I'm over Super.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We don't sell beer at our ground because Council aren't down with that.

$3 donations to the club result in a thankyou can of beer at the donors' preference.
$10 donations to the club result 4 such thankyous at the donors' preference

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
That wasn't a shot at anyone in this thread by the way.

More to do with experiences in the past, and people who knew full well that we sold grog and took the 'save $10 route' for lack of a better term.

I'm not one to drink at a subbies footy match but don't see the problem with bringing your own at all.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Forest newsletter on their facebook page is calling for home supporters to keep it clean at home games, so I guess there must have been some truth in the matter! Good to see Forest doing something about it!

Some interesting results over the weekend across the board

Div 1- Waverley belting Balmain in all grades, Petersham knocking off Mosman in 1st Grade

Div 2- Beecroft beating Lindfield after the bell at Tryon Oval, Last years Div 3 Dominant Force HAC only coming away with 1 victory ( have heard Forest crowd were to put politely a disgrace on Saturday with the "Banter" thrown the way of HAC Players

Div 3- Epping Thumping Newport and St Ives winning all grades v Brothers

Just a couple that stand out.

Pfitzy think its time to swallow the pride and drop down to Div 6 in 2018, obviously nothing can be done this year, but I think if your club is going to survive and one day be back to what it was its something that needs to be done. Beecroft in a way did it and it worked wonders, and so did Waverley and we have all seen the rise of both of these clubs again

Not sure as well what Forfeiting all grades to Oatley would achieve either, yes it may avoid embarrassment and Injury but it wont put the club in good sted with Subbies they would likely just tell you to get stuffed when applying affiliation next year if it continues to happen

Do agree with you on the fact that most players think that sponsors cover rego costs. Simple fact should be you don't pay you don't play, know clubs that have enforced it that if players haven't paid their money by last trial then they are not eligible for selection and not available to take the field until they have paid in full

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Forest newsletter on their facebook page is calling for home supporters to keep it clean at home games, so I guess there must have been some truth in the matter! Good to see Forest doing something about it!

While I'm not one to normally defend Forest, it's usually not the Club's players with the bad behaviour. It usually the locals. I remember talking to a Forest Club Captain a couple of years ago and he apologised profusely for the sideline but said as a public space they weren't in a position to "eject" them.

Now I feel dirty for defending Forest.....get me 2 beers and a shower...STAT

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
. said as a public space they weren't in a position to "eject" them.

Not too sure if this is actually the case anymore, I know with Penrith Junior League (yes not rugby) the signs they have around the ground say that the Ground Marshal has the right to ask any person to leave the hired facility, and if they do not comply, can call police to do the same thing.

There would also be something similar under RSA/Licencing for any club that sells alcohol to be able to ask a patron to leave the venue (in most cases this would be your entire field), and have police follow up on this if they do not comply.

I did try to look this up but can't get a decent answer anywhere.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
While I'm not one to normally defend Forest, it's usually not the Club's players with the bad behaviour. It usually the locals. I remember talking to a Forest Club Captain a couple of years ago and he apologised profusely for the sideline but said as a public space they weren't in a position to "eject" them.

Now I feel dirty for defending Forest...get me 2 beers and a shower.STAT

Agreed, it is hard for committees from behind the BBQ or running the sideline to hear and be across every idiot comment made from every sideline idiot. Particularly at Melwood Oval when you have a Hill full of them:).

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Who cares?

Unless it's a police matter, get on with your life.

Copping it from a boisterous home crowd is part of the fun.

Do you want a 'waratahs crowd' with their scarves and cheese and crackers?

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Who cares?

Unless it's a police matter, get on with your life.

Copping it from a boisterous home crowd is part of the fun.

Do you want a 'waratahs crowd' with their scarves and cheese and crackers?

Get on with your life? Unless you're a club that has had "supporters" start an after match fight, enter the field of play to join a fight, hurl abuse at refs - which btw doesn't help your clubs cause with subbies or the refs, hurl racist abuse at players on field, give your canteen ladies major grief about the fact that you're out of rissoles etc.

All of which then causes headaches that last weeks and distract from your actual life.

There is a major difference between a boisterous crowd and one which causes the club embarrassment.

Not that I am saying this is what went on at Forest, it's just some of the stuff I've seen over the years at various places.

Status
Not open for further replies.