• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Apparently St.Ives were given an ultimatum by subbies to either Field a Colts team this weekend or be replaced by Oatley in a straight swap from Div 4 for round 3. Looks like subbies regretting forcing Oatley into DiV 4 and are looking for an out to move them back up.

I don't think they would be regretting moving Oatley down, they were relegated plain and simple.

Tim told all Div 3 clubs at the start of the year if they didn't have a Colts team they would be relegated for a club that did (Oatley). Snives probably kept quiet for as long as possible which is understandable. Interesting that they are sending out 16/17 yr old kids to play against 21yr olds just to make up the numbers. Big call from them (if it is correct).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I haven't read up on it, but what kind of age restrictions are there around that in Colts?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I haven't read up on it, but what kind of age restrictions are there around that in Colts?

Under 18's need parent sign off.

You cannot blame Saints for doing everything in their power to field a side, that's what every other club would be doing in their position.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Absolutely - I'm fielding a bunch of guys in their 30s and 40s to play First Grade after all :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, the SOS call has gone out, the phones have been working, and part of my cultural change is probably being undone.

But these are the measures required to get the club through the year. o_O

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Was chatting to my mate about this yesterday, Nick.

It's the hallmark of a struggling club. You begin the season with a load of great ideas, new initiatives, things you'd like to do to enhance the experience of your players, coaches, ex-players etc.

Then the season starts and 100% of your resources are devoted to getting 15 people on the field each week.

Meanwhile the clubs that do have players can focus on the little things, finances, gear etc etc etc. So the gap widens every week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

It's the hallmark of a struggling club. You begin the season with a load of great ideas, new initiatives, things you'd like to do to enhance the experience of your players, coaches, ex-players etc.

Then the season starts and 100% of your resources are devoted to getting 15 people on the field each week.

Meanwhile the clubs that do have players can focus on the little things, finances, gear etc etc etc. So the gap widens every week.

All good points.

In retrospect there is a lot I would have done differently and will implement those next year if I don't go mental first ;)

Getting started earlier is one of the big things - though that was stymied somewhat by the season ending in a brawl and practically zero handover documentation.

An early start is particularly important for Juniors. Really need to see some results there and I want to grow our little crop of U6 and U7 into something large, particularly in this area where there are a lot of young families.

I'm looking at how we also get an uplift in involvement from non-players, and am considering an associate membership for $100. Allows people to vote at the AGM and gets them one of our discount cards at the pub. I'll even throw in a polo shirt. If they've got a bit of money down, they'll hopefully volunteer a bit, and if they don't, well I've got their money.

Women's rugby - at least 7s - is also something we want to put resources into. A summer touch comp might get this started, as well as trying to grow the juniors into 7s for women and 15s for boys. Attrition with juniors is going to be a bitch.

Gotta say though we've taken care of the gear side of things - new hydration gear, better field setup. Canteen setup including card payment and better food options. We're flicking the BBQ though as the pulled pork pies and sausage rolls are a far better (and easier) option IMHO.

C

cheekymonkey

All good points.

In retrospect there is a lot I would have done differently and will implement those next year if I don't go mental first ;)

Getting started earlier is one of the big things - though that was stymied somewhat by the season ending in a brawl and practically zero handover documentation.

An early start is particularly important for Juniors. Really need to see some results there and I want to grow our little crop of U6 and U7 into something large, particularly in this area where there are a lot of young families.

I'm looking at how we also get an uplift in involvement from non-players, and am considering an associate membership for $100. Allows people to vote at the AGM and gets them one of our discount cards at the pub. I'll even throw in a polo shirt. If they've got a bit of money down, they'll hopefully volunteer a bit, and if they don't, well I've got their money.

Women's rugby - at least 7s - is also something we want to put resources into. A summer touch comp might get this started, as well as trying to grow the juniors into 7s for women and 15s for boys. Attrition with juniors is going to be a bitch.

Gotta say though we've taken care of the gear side of things - new hydration gear, better field setup. Canteen setup including card payment and better food options. We're flicking the BBQ though as the pulled pork pies and sausage rolls are a far better (and easier) option IMHO.

A lot of good initiatives there, especially card payments at canteen. There would be hundreds of my dollars that clubs don't have because they can't handle card payments and I never carry cash.

I'm enjoying you sharing the ups and downs of running a club, appreciate it.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

It's a different skill set convincing guys to turn up when they know they'll be
most likely be playing 2 games compared to trying to get a Halligans cup game each week for rugby starved players.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A lot of good initiatives there, especially card payments at canteen. There would be hundreds of my dollars that clubs don't have because they can't handle card payments and I never carry cash.

https://squareup.com/au

Easiest thing ever - couple of extra hoops because we don't have an ABN or ACN.

Was only about 10% of the take, but that's 10% we might not otherwise have. And because I had a friend at work who uses it, the first $1000 or so is free on recommendation.

It's a different skill set convincing guys to turn up when they know they'll be
most likely be playing 2 games compared to trying to get a Halligans cup game each week for rugby starved players.

The other problem I'll have in two weeks - if this SOS call goes well - is what to do with the overflow of players.

Starts should be given to those who train. But bench spots from that point might cause a bit of a ruckus if I don't have enough players of suitable quality.

Sure, I can field 46 guys in total, but some of them will only get a few minutes off the pine depending how things work out.

Not such a big deal for home games where I can get a few club men on volunteer duty, but the club men have paid their fees in full.

Dilly of a pickle.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Round 3 Action
Div 1
Petersham v Balmain- Petersham to win by plenty and continue Balmains poor start
Drummoyne Knox- Drummoyne and home should be too strong
Mosman v Waverley- Match of the Round tough to split this but will go with Mosman at home ( Waverley to come home with Lower Grade Victories)
Colleagues v Pats- Colleagues by plenty

Div 2
HAC v Beecroft- toughest to pick for mine, HAC bounced back with a home win while the men from the Croft lost narrowly at home to forest, will go with HAC on this one
Mountains v Hunters Hill- Match of the Round, Grand Final rematch will be going Mountains in this one ( Footnote HH have won the last 2 encounters at Lapstone with a kick after the bell)
Forest v Lindfield- Forest to get up at Home
Hills v UNSW- Hills to get up in a tight one, both teams fighting for their first wins of the season

Div 3
Valley v BOBs- Valley over bobs, much improved Valley with a number of key players returning from HAC after a walk out a few years back
Newport v Brothers- Newport by plenty in those one, not looking like its going to be a happy year for brothers after their start to 2017
Iggies v Redfield- Redfield to take this one in a close encounter
Epping v St Ives- Match of the round, men from Somerville to continue on their winning ways this weekend

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 3
Epping v St Ives- Match of the round, men from Somerville to continue on their winning ways this weekend

Only one I disagree with. Word is Epping have plenty of players but no super stars. According to today's Manly Daily Saints were unlucky to go down to Newport with a late try. Saints to win this one for mine.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 will only feature three matches this week after Oatley offered to move our game to the wet weather weekend in July. Very generous of them given our current situation.

After seeing a few old faces back at training, and a few new faces through the mate's network, we might even have enough quality to stand up to a couple of clubs in this Division in a couple of grades. Heck, we might even have all three operating by the time mid-season rolls around!

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Enjoying the posts Fitzy, having been there many moons ago. In two years time you can look back at your posts an write an "how to guide" for small community clubs.
Keep the posts coming.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah. Trying to get it all down in my Operations Manual. Not as dry as the Subbies one, but at least the handover will be much more smooth next time.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
So I decided to go and watch your Div 2 match of the round today - Beecroft vs Forest. You were right about niggle. What an ugly game.

Forest seemed to be in control through their forwards and were pushing Beecroft off their own ball in scrums, until their 8 was yellowed for head high about 15 minutes in, then a prop was red carded a few minutes later. After that Beecroft's set piece became more competitive, but the game got worse.

The ref lost control of the game and by the second half seemed to be guessing when it came to penalties and cards.

Multiple head highs from both sides, punches being thrown, again very ugly.

Forest managed to get the win despite playing with 14 men (13 for nearly 20 minutes).

Hopefully next week I can see a better game.

You weren't wrong. 1 red card and 2 yellows for Forest and 1 for Beecroft suggests it was a grubby encounter. Beecroft had 3 yellows the week before. At this rate could be a few players sitting on the sidelines come mid season.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Div 3

Only one I disagree with. Word is Epping have plenty of players but no super stars. According to today's Manly Daily Saints were unlucky to go down to Newport with a late try. Saints to win this one for mine.

Epping 40 St Ives 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Colleagues 18 St Patrick's 14
Drummoyne 26 Knox 7
Petersham 38 Balmain 11
Mosman 34 Waverley 0

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Newport 51 Brothers 10
Epping 40 St Ives 17