• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Hunters Hill v Forest - not sure why im saying this but im going to go with Forest, can sense them breaking HH streak, with players back I can see another twist in the div 2 surge for 4th Spot

I watched this game today. At half time your prediction looked like it might come true - Forest were convincingly ahead. In particular they had the dominant pack with their scrum pushing HH backwards every time.

But in the second half HH showed their class. They didn't panic and after a few Forest injuries the momentum of the game swung and they ran in 3 converted tries (converted by a front rower no less!).

Forest fought back and controlled the last 20, but it was too late.

I am pretty sure that our forum buddy Seagull Butler also butchered a try when he had white line fever with his winger unmarked, but everybody seemed to have a bit of a laugh about it after.

Overall a very entertaining game to watch - HH showed their class and why they're the best team in Div 2, but Forest were good opposition. There wasn't much niggle, good spirit showed from both sides, and well refereed.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great Day At Sommerville Oval Against Competition Pacesetters Epping. We Had Convincing Wins In 3rds (17-7) And 2nds (55-7), And Also Edged Them Out In Colts (14-5).

1st Grade Was A Nailbiter And We Ended Up Losing 22-7, Though The Score Did Not Reflect How Close The Game Was As We Trailed 10-7 With Just A Few Minutes Remaining. We Also Practically Played The Entire 2nd Half With 14 Men After A Soft Red Card Was Given.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Great Day At Sommerville Oval Against Competition Pacesetters Epping. We Had Convincing Wins In 3rds (17-7) And 2nds (55-7), And Also Edged Them Out In Colts (14-5).

1st Grade Was A Nailbiter And We Ended Up Losing 22-7, Though The Score Did Not Reflect How Close The Game Was As We Trailed 10-7 With Just A Few Minutes Remaining. We Also Practically Played The Entire 2nd Half With 14 Men After A Soft Red Card Was Given.

It was a pretty grubby cheap shot though. That first15 minutes was brutal. If all things work out, the major semi final between the teams is going to be epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Some interesting results.

DIV 1
St pats almost pulled off the upset but were denied by a last minute Colleagues penalty goal.
Balmain produced a come back to scare the Shammies.

DIV 2
UNSW smashed HAC away
Lindfield made it 3 straight losses for Mountains.
Good tussle ahead for that minor semi spots

Div 3
Epping stamped themselves clearly as premiership favourites.
Brothers beating BOBs to keep their final hopes alive.

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)

After reading that this could be the match of the day subbies wide, I venturedto Somerville. Was not disappointed. Epic match. The physicality was amazing.

The contact between both tight heads was a sight to behold. You wouldn't see any bigger contact in a higher grade. Epping 3 hit Iggies 3 with amazing force and Iggies 3 did well to withstand. The subsequent late shot from Iggies 3 on Epping 10 in revenge will see him, in my opinion, have quite a few weeks rest courtesy of the judiciary.

The way Iggies played after the red card was immense. Holding Epping for no points for nigh on 45 mins was exceptional. However, Epping's class and patience showed through in the end with 2 late tries and a solid win.

Salivating finals prospects in 3rd div for sure.

Also highly rated the rissole sandwich and 3 for $12 tinnies.

Great day of rugby

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
The subsequent late shot from Iggies 3 on Epping 10 in revenge will see him, in my opinion, have quite a few weeks rest courtesy of the judiciary.

I disagree. It was late and a shoulder charge but there was no contact with the head. It wasn't dangerous. Big man on little man made it look a lot worse than it was.

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
I disagree. It was late and a shoulder charge but there was no contact with the head. It wasn't dangerous. Big man on little man made it look a lot worse than it was.
Late and grubby.

If you get shown up by your opposite number and want revenge, go after the bloke that got you not a 10 who isn't looking a good 5 seconds after he's passed.

Cheap shot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
4/4 for Lane Cove yesterday. We are heading for the minor premiership in Radford and Noice, and also another team in finals in Radford.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Division 3 is really shaping up to be a cracker of a competition.

1st Grade

1. Epping - minor premiership all but locked up
2. Barker - 2 points clear of Iggies but face Epping next
3. Iggies - would definitely be eying off a top 2 finish but must be worried about the prospect of Brothers
4. Redfield - 5 clear of Brothers but play them in the last round
5. Brothers - what a turnaround!
6, 7, 8 - St Ives, Valley and Newport all out of the running

2nd Grade

1,2 - Iggies and Newport all locked up at the top. Going to tip Iggies coming home with the minor premiership here
3. St Ives - their only side in the finals running. Late season stack on? Although they got toweled up y/day by Redfield
4. Redfield - only 1 clear of Barker and a tough run home.
5. Barker - will be hoping to edge Redfield. Might come down to BPs
6, 7, 8 - Epping, Valley and Brothers all out of the running

3rd Grade

The most clear cut of all grades:
1, 2, 3 and 4 should finish as they are - Epping, Newport, Iggies, Redfield
Barker, St Ives, Valley and Brothers all out of the running

Colts

1. Redfield - should have the minor premiership locked up given their run home
2. Iggies
3. Barker
4. Epping
5, 6, 7, 8 - Newport, Valley, Brothers and St Ives all out of the running.

CactusJack

Bob McCowan (2)
Well done on the sweep yesterday Tommy.

Great to see things have all worked out ok at Redfield and that the players have come together for the good of the club, especially Mike Dale who returned from his hiatus.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I do recall that game after you jogged memory. I'm fairly sure we only played there once.

You would've enjoyed that game, that field was a deadset war zone.

Have a specific memory of the Engadine fullback/winger running back a kick into a spear tackle. Referee put the whistle to his mouth and thought against it since it was right in front of the Matto crowd. Miss the good old days of Matto rugby...

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any ideas on player retention from season to season? What works and what doesn't? Would appreciate any input on this...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any ideas on player retention from season to season? What works and what doesn't? Would appreciate any input on this.

Fuck knows. I've been talking to other clubs, even referees who are ex-players and the landscape is very different to ten years ago. Getting guys week to week is a hard ask, so getting them back between seasons?

We've been talking about putting our rego down into the $100-$150 range, and we'll have a lot of leftover kit from this year (I ordered for 60 guys this year - ha!) so that should be manageable - need 24-35 players per grade to cover the cost of entry.

BUT it isn't just about money. Guys have got shit on in winter they need to go to (like weddings) and then go skiing (my first choice halfback just pulled out of our next game to go to the snow) or other crap.

Culture is a big part of it BUT they've got to be guys who want that culture. One of the things I find with some groups is they come in, play footy together, and head home. They'll train with the right motivation, but their social scene is outside the club and so they won't change for that.

For a home game I'll spend about $350 on food for our players and visitors at the pub afterwards, as well as dig into my own pocket for drinks. That's to keep the sponsor happy but also to get the guys back there as a unit (would help if I had showers for visiting teams).

What makes playing rugby a better option than going to the snow? I have no idea because I don't ski.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Have a specific memory of the Engadine fullback/winger running back a kick into a spear tackle. Referee put the whistle to his mouth and thought against it since it was right in front of the Matto crowd. Miss the good old days of Matto rugby.

I remember we had a beast of a number 8 who'd been with the crusaders squad and was 140kgs and could run.

One of the supporters asked the coach about why he wasn;t getting involved, he said, " we haven't had any ball, wait til we get some ball, you'll find they don't wanna run at him"

As this conversation was happening, some matto forward ran straight at him and had his teeth re aligned.

Status
Not open for further replies.