• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Some interesting games to come.

A lot hinges on this round. If brothers were to beat iggies this weekend then that would throw the cat among the pigeons.

BOBs vs Epping, if BOBs can spring an upset I think it will just about secure a top two finish with a home game against St Ives in the last round.

With regards to second grade I reckon the side in the most danger would have to be St Ives. Away to HV this weekend, home to Iggies and away to BOBs. Tough run home. BOBs will need to beat Epping and then hope to win in the last round at home to knock them out, but it will be a tough ask.

Division 3 (Same As Heavy With Small Change)

1st grade
Major Semi - Epping vs Iggies
Minor Semi - BOBs vs Redfield
Grand Final - Epping vs Iggies

2nd grade
Major Semi - Iggies vs Newport
Minor Semi - Saints vs Redfield

3rd Grade
Major Semi - Epping vs Iggies
Minor Semi - Newport vs Redfield

Colts
Major Semi - Redfield vs Iggies
Minor Semi - BOBs vs Epping

Grand Finals
1s - Iggies v Epping
2s - Iggies v Newport
3s - Iggies v Newport
C - Iggies v Redfield

Kiko

Bob McCowan (2)
Agr

A lot hinges on this round. If brothers were to beat iggies this weekend then that would throw the cat among the pigeons.

BOBs vs Epping, if BOBs can spring an upset I think it will just about secure a top two finish with a home game against St Ives in the last round.

With regards to second grade I reckon the side in the most danger would have to be St Ives. Away to HV this weekend, home to Iggies and away to BOBs. Tough run home. BOBs will need to beat Epping and then hope to win in the last round at home to knock them out, but it will be a tough ask.

Agree Bozzie Ob

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)

This time of year I think clubs with only one or two grades in contention pose a threat to those clubs whom are stretched across every grade as they can focus their player power. Think Saints may be just too strong and tip BOBs out.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This time of year I think clubs with only one or two grades in contention pose a threat to those clubs whom are stretched across every grade as they can focus their player power.

On the other hand, if you're able to access Open Selection it can be of great help to your lower grades.

Not for us, thank fuck. While its a short season, its been a fucking long year and I look forward to seeing the back of it. Oh except I'm still going to be doing raffles and trying to think up how the club is still around past January.

We're going to be pumped sideways against Canterbury this weekend, having forfeited Firsts and Thirds, and while they're a great club, its a long trip and I've got better shit to do.

Had a committee meeting tonight - three attendees. Two others at work, one at kid's Parent Teacher night (Registrar got the shits early in the year when I tried to make their job easier, thinking I was trying to take over. They didn't really want the job anyway).

My juniors coordinator sent an email to Kerry Brady today, rightly pointing out that in the last few weeks my Junior sides (such as they are) traveled an average of 35 minutes to get to games.

Going to Marsfield to play Blue Mountains and Redfield o_O What fucking genius came up with that plan?

Meanwhile the local junior soccer and AFL go from strength to strength. League, less so, but a local club raised $21K in one day at their home game for breast cancer.

And Seniors is no better. Seventy minutes for an away game makes a great bus trip IF you have guys who can make the bus, and aren't working either Saturday morning or Saturday evening.

=============

Anyway, the main focus is "what the fuck now?"

Surely we can't have a year worse than this one. If it wasn't loss of coaching staff at critical points, it was gradual erosion of the player base, injuries and more fucking injuries from too many minutes.

We can't go to Sixth Division because our average age is too high. The old blokes want a trot, and will pay their money, and will help out around the club (the people who DON'T want to pay and help out can get fucked as of the day after Presentation Night in August).

If I shut down the club, good luck getting a ground allocation from Council again. Ever. Soccer will fucking hoover up everything available.

So Fifth Division is the only available option I think. I need the social players - they keep the place afloat. But I can't have them fronting up for two games every week.

One thing is for sure: I'm not doing a year like this again. If we get to February and I don't have what looks like 30+ committed guys, that's it. Done. Goneski.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Should add: very good chance I'll be in a new job come January next year. Simply won't have as much time to prop up the club.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not sure having multiple teams in the finals is an advantage or disadvantage. Having been in this position over the past few seasons it does allow you to move players freely between grades. However, I think clubs with only one team contesting finals tend to do better.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
For anyone who wants to watch the ladies play - Boronia Park is playing host to a massive day of Women's Rugby, including the Sydney Women's XV Grand Final! http://www.huntershillrugby.org.au/new-events/womensgf

So this weekend in Div 2 is going to have a major influence on 1st grade finals, I'm not tipping (don't want to give anyone ammo) just chucking stuff out there:
UNSW(4) v Lindfield(6) - just 3 points separate them, both have had a mid season revival, both have knocked off Blueys and HAC in the last 3 rounds. Last time they met Lindfield won at Tryon.
Blue Mountains(3) v Hawkesbury(2) - 6pm KO in Lapstone - my tip - it will be cold.
Forest(7) v Hills(5) - both teams still real chances at this point - Forest plays Hills, Uni and Mountains so winning all three puts them in.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
For anyone who wants to watch the ladies play - Boronia Park is playing host to a massive day of Women's Rugby, including the Sydney Women's XV Grand Final! http://www.huntershillrugby.org.au/new-events/womensgf

So this weekend in Div 2 is going to have a major influence on 1st grade finals, I'm not tipping (don't want to give anyone ammo) just chucking stuff out there:
UNSW(4) v Lindfield(6) - just 3 points separate them, both have had a mid season revival, both have knocked off Blueys and HAC in the last 3 rounds. Last time they met Lindfield won at Tryon.
Blue Mountains(3) v Hawkesbury(2) - 6pm KO in Lapstone - my tip - it will be cold.
Forest(7) v Hills(5) - both teams still real chances at this point - Forest plays Hills, Uni and Mountains so winning all three puts them in.

Think that Mountains vs HAC will really come down to whether BM have got any of their stars back. Losing this weekend will put them really in the fight to make the playoffs, and the losing streak their on might be hard to stop if they go down again this weekend.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Tips

Div 2
Blue Mountains v HAC- Match Of The Round- Last time these 2 played they had a draw under lights at college oval, this time I think HAC should take this one, the men from the mountains have lost games in the past few weeks which they shouldn't have and without their 3 big guns seem to be struggling they will be hoping they return this week others they could find themselves a chance of missing the finals series
UNSW v Lindfield- this will be interesting both sides pretty much need to win this to keep finals hopes alive, this is one of 2 games which are too tight to call but ill go UNSW
Forest v Hills- again another one which is tough to pick, Hills have been very inconsistent and Forest have been hammered by injury this season but always seem to find away to stay in touch with final contention.
Beecroft v Hunters Hill- this will be a blood bath, HH to win this by plenty, expect Beecroft to look after their 2nd and 3rd Grade who are in finals contention

Div 3
Iggies v Brothers- Head says Iggies but gut is telling me we could see the upset of the season thus far. Ill take a punt and say Brothers to win this to really throw a spanner into the Div 3 Finals Race
Barker v Epping- Match Of The Round- should be pretty even for the 1st 60min but think Epping will come away with the W showing their class and their superior forward pack size
HVRC v St Ives- Going to call Valley to get another win here against St Ives, not sure why but feel they knocked off Iggies they could easily do it to St Ives
Newport v Redfield- Newport will feel better knowing they are back t home which will give them a few more numbers but cant see them knocking over Redfield who will be looking to better their position for finals

Reactions: fkj

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
Really looking forward to wandering down to the Bobdome this week to watch Barker V Epping. Should be a really good game, with Bobs needing the win to consolidate second place on the ladder. Also, after reading the previous posts on this thread, I am hoping to witness the Epping coach (Whopper?) have one of his renowned sideline meltdowns, and am interested to see the dynamic between him and his team, particularly the halfback.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
DIV 2
Beecroft vs HUNTERS HILL - HH march on
FOREST vs Hills - At home in front of the inbreds Forest will be too strong
UNSW vs Lindfield - Going with the Home ground advantage for this crunch match
MOUNTAINS vs Hac - Think Hac's weakness in lower grades will allow Mountains to bring in some 2nd grade artillery and that will prove the difference.

DIV 3
IGGIES vs Brothers - I cannot bring myself to back a club that has a track record of suspicious player movement. Come on IGGIES...End this farce.
BOBS vs Epping - Maybe this year the BOBs are the real deal. This Saturday we will find out.
Hawkesbury vs SAINTS - A last start victory based ofn two intercept tries doesn't hide the fact Valley are doing it tough. Going with SAINTS.
NEWPORT vs Redfield - After a 3 week road trip the Breakers will be happy to be back by the Portress. with players back from injury and travel I think they will be ready for an upset.

Kiko

Bob McCowan (2)
FOREST vs Hills - At home in front of the inbreds Forest will be too strong

LOLOL - thank you heavyd - a mild chuckle for kiko on this pleasant afternoon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
3 dropped out so far this week in addition to the ones I knew about. Looks like I'm playing again this week...

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
3 dropped out so far this week in addition to the ones I knew about. Looks like I'm playing again this week.

Get stuck into 'em.

e1a8fac1227a6bbe17cba2641d5ca569--irish-rugby-rugby-jerseys.jpg

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
Really looking forward to wandering down to the Bobdome this week to watch Barker V Epping. Should be a really good game, with Bobs needing the win to consolidate second place on the ladder. Also, after reading the previous posts on this thread, I am hoping to witness the Epping coach (Whopper?) have one of his renowned sideline meltdowns, and am interested to see the dynamic between him and his team, particularly the halfback.
Whopper?
c6f0ca8a6535031ec747cb8925b85a83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.