• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Told today that it's 100% no crowds, same as last week

Which is shit but that's the times we live in for better or worst

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

Funnily enough, I’ve been advised that clubs will be provided with an allocated amount of tickets that can be purchased.
Also hearing 3rd and 4th grade of division 2 is likely to be played at MAC Uni with Div 3

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)

Why would Subbies not have crowds when Shute Shield allows them? Makes zero sense as risk is exactly the same.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

From whom?

The position to date is that if the ground allows capacity over and above team attendance - and can cater to the COVID requirements* - then crowds are allowed, if still discouraged.

*including the necessary staffing to manage the gate and social distancing etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So Jeffrey Cup will definitely be at Easts on the artificial pitch (ugh)

Meldrum Cup now scheduled for 7PM under lights at Manly Oval (Marlins play in the afternoon).

Halligan I've seen no news on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Does anyone have any information on the Western Raptors? Would they be able to compete in the higher divisions?

I know from speaking with them that they are ambitious to keep growing and add a Colts team - a lot of their First Grade guys are still actually young enough! They have the numbers to add another grade but are taking a sensible approach to growth.

While they will do pretty much anyone for size, their fitness might be a factor from what I've seen of other divisions. The coaching has to go to another level to get the defensive structures right and play without the ball for long periods.

The only game they lost this year, Irish starved them of the ball and played field position otherwise, which is something they need to overcome.

What I'd like to see is 4th Division re-establish itself with 3 teams, and 5th Division come back with 2 teams. This will allow clubs to test their numbers and organisation without having to fart around with Halligan Cup (which can easily be as destructive as constructive to smaller clubs). That way clubs like Raptors have a place to grow, and can test themselves out in Radford Cup for Colts before deciding whether to formalise things.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
My understanding is 3rd Div clubs will be allowed 100 supporters to Macquarie Uni on a pre purchase ticket arrangement.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
My understanding is 3rd Div clubs will be allowed 100 supporters to Macquarie Uni on a pre purchase ticket arrangement.

As far as I can tell, the Meldrum GF is a ticketed yet free "alcohol free, family friendly event" at Manly Oval.

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of stupid COVID rubbish which is good. I'm sure everyone will be forced to sit in that corner stand because everyone knows you can only catch COVID standing up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McLEAN CUP - Raptors to squeak it in.
GROSE CUP - Canterbury in a canter.
JEFFREY CUP - Oysters easy.
MELDRUM CUP - Savers in an extremely close, high-skilled game. But that is probably the toughest to call.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 3
1st Newport vs Beecroft: The last time these sides met Beecroft where on the receiving end a 45-10 belting. Plenty of questions as to how Newport will go with containing Beecrofts Fijian flare filled back line. The winner of the forwards battle will ultimately decide this one. Breakers have had the best defense all year and think this will just be enough to get them home by 7.
2nd Newport vs Iggies; Newport scrum will make it hard for Iggies sharp backs to get too much front foot ball. Offsetting that Iggies line out and driving maul are clinical. A super game awaits, Newport by 3.
Colts Newport vs Beecroft: Have to go with Newport here but out of all the games this one gives me the most nerves. Beecroft are a great side and with a few Newport injuries this one could go ether way. Breakers by 1
3rds; Iggies vs Beecroft; Beecroft always time their runs well and are tough finals footy opponents. They have beaten Iggies and Newport over consecutive weeks but think Iggies across the park overall skill set might just see them over Beecrofts brutal physicality. Iggies by 5

Good luck to all teams and lets hope the refs all have a howler free day.

Meldrum Cup; A late heavyb try to win it on the bell for Brothers.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tomorrow should be good - rugby from morning through to 9PM if Cluch keep their shit together and broadcast everything right.

Send it

Frank Row (1)
Div 3
1st Newport vs Beecroft: The last time these sides met Beecroft where on the receiving end a 45-10 belting. Plenty of questions as to how Newport will go with containing Beecrofts Fijian flare filled back line. The winner of the forwards battle will ultimately decide this one. Breakers have had the best defense all year and think this will just be enough to get them home by 7.
2nd Newport vs Iggies; Newport scrum will make it hard for Iggies sharp backs to get too much front foot ball. Offsetting that Iggies line out and driving maul are clinical. A super game awaits, Newport by 3.
Colts Newport vs Beecroft: Have to go with Newport here but out of all the games this one gives me the most nerves. Beecroft are a great side and with a few Newport injuries this one could go ether way. Breakers by 1
3rds; Iggies vs Beecroft; Beecroft always time their runs well and are tough finals footy opponents. They have beaten Iggies and Newport over consecutive weeks but think Iggies across the park overall skill set might just see them over Beecrofts brutal physicality. Iggies by 5

Slightly different predictions expecting beecroft and Newport to walk away with 2 each.

Late predictions Div 3

3rd grade. Beecroft. Having watched beecroft beat Newport and seeing the scoreline in the round 7 match against iggies have to side with beecroft.

Colts. Newport haven't heard about the above injuries but Newport is a class team where everyone does there job wel. Although beecroft has managed to beat iggies and valley convincingly I think Newport might just be a different style of team which beecroft struggle against.

2nd grade Newport. Think the size and fitness of Newport will get them over the smaller iggies. Think Newport won't get caught napping twice against iggies who play quick and wide.

1st grade. Beecroft. Great game to finish it on. Both teams have great backs. The beecroft backs have scored some of the best tries I've ever seen in sunnies rugby with those Fijians. However their defence is a bit weak at times which the classy Newport backs will be able to sneak through. Expecting a shootout

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McLEAN CUP - Raptors to squeak it in.
GROSE CUP - Canterbury in a canter.
JEFFREY CUP - Oysters easy.

2 from 3 so far
McLean - Raptors scooted away in the end but really should have locked it down earlier by pounding Irish in close for 30 minutes. They got the possession Irish denied them in the regular season, and made it count.

Grose - Canterbury must have been missing a few guys because they weren't their usual dynamic selves. Throw in their 13 and 15 being quite greedy instead of using the ball wider, and they were getting cleaned up with regularity.

Jeffrey - yeah Oysters up 19-zip at halftime and then 31-0 with half an hour to go. After that a bit of pride for Burra putting 3 tries in for 31-17 but really they were never really in it. Oysters should get momentum enough to move into 2 Grades next year and probably do that handily as well.

Meldrum to come.

I should also say: Halligan will be Colleagues

Fergus Slattery

Frank Row (1)
Subbies management is tired, uninspired and like most of Rugby officialdom, utterly clueless when it comes to connecting with the Rugby rank and file. In what universe would you push Div 2 GF's to the backblocks of Chester Hill? Seriously, it's just the tip of the iceberg, the same suspects running Subbies into the ground for years, would not last five minutes in a real commercial environment

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 3

4/4 and how sweet it is. 3/3 for the mighty Breakers. A big night in Newport awaits!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies management is tired, uninspired and like most of Rugby officialdom, utterly clueless when it comes to connecting with the Rugby rank and file. In what universe would you push Div 2 GF's to the backblocks of Chester Hill? Seriously, it's just the tip of the iceberg, the same suspects running Subbies into the ground for years, would not last five minutes in a real commercial environment

Sounds like you're ready to take over champ. Give it a crack!