• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So far in Div 4:
Merrylands v Saints - POSTPONED
Redfield v Chatswood - POSTPONED
Mac Uni v Renegades - POSTPONED
Berries v HAC - moved to HAC
Raptors v Oysters - moved to some oval in Vaucluse
Savers v Epping - going ahead at Keirle Park.

A bit disappointed our ground is closed, as with the weather clearing it will be perfect for rugby by midday tomorrow. It has been under significant load in between junior and senior league, our guys & girls, and Eels tho. I think they want to just give it a rest...

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've skimmed FB and see Porters is closed. Blacktown is being used by Hills so they can't move the game.
St Pats and Hunters are only playing 1s, 2s, and Colts at Hudson.
Briars v Valley moved to Deerubbin Park. That'll be moist.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some really good games in Div 1 across the weekend. Great day for Rugby. Shame more games couldnt have been played. How did Div2/3 and 4 go?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How did Div2/3 and 4 go?

Half of each Division played:

Briars 0 v 43 Hawkesbury Valley Deerubbin Park
Old Ignatians 14 v 54 Hills Ryde Park
Lindfield 25 v 26 UNSW Koola Park

Manly Savers 21 v 17 Epping Keirle Park
Canterbury 56 v 0 Hawkesbury Ag College Nepean Rugby Park
Western Raptors 12 v 45 Sydney Harbour Christison Park

Last edited:

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Half of each Division played:

Briars 0 v 43 Hawkesbury Valley Deerubbin Park
Old Ignatians 14 v 54 Hills Ryde Park
Lindfield 25 v 26 UNSW Koola Park

Manly Savers 21 v 17 Epping Keirle Park
Canterbury 56 v 0 Hawkesbury Ag College Nepean Rugby Park
Western Raptors 12 v 45 Sydney Harbour Christison Park
I watched UNSW v Lindfield. An absolutely cracker of a game (2nd grade also was a tight affair). Great running rugby from both sides and scoreboard swings all match. Culminated in a try from Lindfield with 3 minutes to go that put them one behind. Then they nailed the conversion from the sideline. Lindfield kicker ran past both supporting crowds making sure they knew he iced it. Was an amazing fixture.

THEN

The day after I saw UNSW posted on their instagram saying there'd been some confusion in the scoring and that they actually won by one point! Someone had obviously missed or added a conversion somewhere. What a debacle.

Old soldiers really took it to Uni though so interested to see how deep they can go. Hills and Valley really showed the gap in the competition. Briars have now been held scoreless twice.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
I watched UNSW v Lindfield. An absolutely cracker of a game (2nd grade also was a tight affair). Great running rugby from both sides and scoreboard swings all match. Culminated in a try from Lindfield with 3 minutes to go that put them one behind. Then they nailed the conversion from the sideline. Lindfield kicker ran past both supporting crowds making sure they knew he iced it. Was an amazing fixture.

THEN

The day after I saw UNSW posted on their instagram saying there'd been some confusion in the scoring and that they actually won by one point! Someone had obviously missed or added a conversion somewhere. What a debacle.

Old soldiers really took it to Uni though so interested to see how deep they can go. Hills and Valley really showed the gap in the competition. Briars have now been held scoreless twice.
Quite amusing watching someone give it to the crowd while you are still losing and then also playing 'We are the Champions' after losing the game. Reminds me of teams that sing their team song after a Trial win.
Any good 9 or 10 knows the score at all times while they are on the field.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wet Weather Weekend
Div 1 - No Kentwell, though a number of lower grades playing last weekends round.
Div 2 - 3x Barraclough, Newport v Blacktown, Briars v Harlequins, Old Barker v UNSW
Div 4 - 3x McLean, Merrylands v Northern Saints, Mac Uni v Canterbury, Redfield v Chatswood

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
More rain around.... not heavy at this point but with 10-20mm tomorrow in some parts, and rain through next week, have to wonder which Councils are reaching for the banhammer.

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah look fat chance of many of these games been played. Do they just slot in as a draw in the event it can’t be postponed? Quins, Barker and Mac uni have all only played 2 games. Will be struggling to slot in replacement dates already after 4 rounds. La Niña pissing on the “back to rugby after covid” parade

Tips regardless:
Newport by a cricket score, Quins by 24, UNSW BY 17
Merrylands by 22, Mac Uni by 5, Redfield by 21

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Do they just slot in as a draw in the event it can’t be postponed?

Not usually an option according to the competition rules (https://rugby.net.au/_uploads/res/132_16544.PDF)

But in these circumstances, who knows?

Note that "abandoned" matches can include grounds being closed:

1653004664785.png

And then you get into what happens next:

1653004554809.png

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Have only watched a few of the Div2/3/4 games on Cluch, but tips regardless

Newport V Blacktown - Newport to hit 100? Or will there be a mercy rule and sensible refereeing to keep it close
Sydney Harlequins vs Briars - Quins by 30
UNSW vs BOBS - UNSW looked really sloppy against Lindfield. Maybe the boys were tired from playing the week before for 3rd grade and Canterbury? Who will the Dual Registered players play for this week? UNSW will vary by 10 points either way. Hopefully they keep their cattle and take the game by 24 points.
(Are Subbies actually looking into the fact players are playing across two teams?)

Div 4
Merrylands Vs St Ives - Merrylands may score more than Newport - Maybe they should swap the games
Mac Uni Vs Canterbury - Match of the Wet Weather Week. Berries by 3
Redfield Vs Chatswood. I dont know vs Im not sure. Alot of slop in this game. Kick to Kick. May as well be AFL. Yawn. Redfield to win by 1

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Have only watched a few of the Div2/3/4 games on Cluch, but tips regardless

Newport V Blacktown - Newport to hit 100? Or will there be a mercy rule and sensible refereeing to keep it close
Sydney Harlequins vs Briars - Quins by 30
UNSW vs BOBS - UNSW looked really sloppy against Lindfield. Maybe the boys were tired from playing the week before for 3rd grade and Canterbury? Who will the Dual Registered players play for this week? UNSW will vary by 10 points either way. Hopefully they keep their cattle and take the game by 24 points.
(Are Subbies actually looking into the fact players are playing across two teams?)

Div 4
Merrylands Vs St Ives - Merrylands may score more than Newport - Maybe they should swap the games
Mac Uni Vs Canterbury - Match of the Wet Weather Week. Berries by 3
Redfield Vs Chatswood. I dont know vs Im not sure. Alot of slop in this game. Kick to Kick. May as well be AFL. Yawn. Redfield to win by 1
Bit easier to tell now that Canterbury's game has been postponed again.

I believe the UNSW response to subbies so far has been "new phone, who dis".

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Bit easier to tell now that Canterbury's game has been postponed again.

I believe the UNSW response to subbies so far has been "new phone, who dis".

I think someone from UNSW has to come out and address the issue.

We play UNSW this year for the first time and I am not comfortable knowing they are just putting anyone on the field (unregistered players, players from other clubs, 1st graders into lower grades). We owe a safety element to the players and I am not comfortable with the whole situation.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think someone from UNSW has to come out and address the issue.

We play UNSW this year for the first time and I am not comfortable knowing they are just putting anyone on the field (unregistered players, players from other clubs, 1st graders into lower grades). We owe a safety element to the players and I am not comfortable with the whole situation.
Hearing that this has been brought up with Subbies and they are refusing to deal with it. Are they Uni players? Are they Canterbury players? Are they Brothers players? Are they showing up somewhere else? Can you register and then unregister a player only to register him again? Who’s allowing these guys to play under multiple names?
Clubs need to be reassured that the administration are looking after the competition not just turning a blind eye to their local club.
Uni have alot to answer for. My spies tell me that a number of higher grades players lobbed into the lower grades a couple of weeks ago, although the team sheets suggest otherwise.