• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
stole a try after a penalty try was awarded. The lack of understanding and awareness of the referee on that one was atrocious.

Will say I've never seen that on a rugby field before. Should be a retaken kick according to 12.5.b

Has also been a long time since I saw a prop yellow carded at scrum time outside the red zone at this level, which was the reward for scrum dominance. Surprised you didn't make more of it TBH.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I’m not going to even start on the referee in first grade. A lot of the cards were ridiculous, especially our last one.

Really? He'd already handed out a couple of cards for the push and shove - also justified - earlier in the game. There was a fair bit of niggle in the midfield in that game as well.

Your #14 might have got away with just the not-rolling as a penalty but painted a target on himself with the push after it. Five minutes to go. Game in the balance, already a few incidents.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Second game bit of a seesawing affair but Redfield did enough to get past the Rams.

I'm 0 from 2 so far. If the next 2 don't go the right way I will be utterly shocked.

Really? He'd already handed out a couple of cards for the push and shove - also justified - earlier in the game. There was a fair bit of niggle in the midfield in that game as well.

Your #14 might have got away with just the not-rolling as a penalty but painted a target on himself with the push after it. Five minutes to go. Game in the balance, already a few incidents.
Why is the referee asking the Savers captain if he wants the yellow card or not? It's not a yellow card offence.

We also score a try in the 64th minute but he calls held up before the play is complete.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Why is the referee asking the Savers captain if he wants the yellow card or not?

Maybe the Savers captain was getting a bit chatty or upset and he was looking to calm them down? Have seen that done a hundred times by refs e.g.

Captain: "What about the push/high tackle/shoulder sir?"
Player: "Calm down - I've got it and will deal with it"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's not a yellow card offence.

Nothing is, technically. And in some ways, anything could be.

Under Law 9 Foul Play the Principle states: "A player who commits foul play must either be cautioned or temporarily suspended or sent off."

First place to look is Dangerous Play
15. Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball.

You can also look at the catch-all Misconduct
27. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 2 finals today:
Barraclough: HValley (3) def Old Barker (6) and Lindfield (4) def Hills (5) - probably no shocks there.
Stockdale: Newport (3) def Harlequins (6) and Hills (4) def HValley (5) - Hills did it tough 8-7!
Blunt: Lindfield (3) def Epping (6) and UNSW (4) def HValley (5) - again to script
Robertson: Easts (3) def HValley (6) and Beecroft (5) def Hills (4) - the only "upset". Hills getting 3 YC might not have helped.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Drummoyne to be relegated after today‘s results? 0 wins while Petersham managed to get wins in Colts and 4s.

There are 4 points separating them from Petersham on the Club Championship table, so maybe that's a question of who wants it more/less.

A 10-club Div 1 is a nice idea, but only if you can run an 18-week season to even everything up. And I'm not sure that is sustainable.

1661592776172.png

Uzi1989

Stan Wickham (3)
I have never seen that before on the rugby field as well, and.... I hope I never see that again..

The 2nd grade ref was way out of his depth, and it showed - and unfortunately Epping lost the semi because of his (poor) performance
Was the ref that bad I was watching from the car park after Merrylands got eliminated the game before sounded like a great game

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I have never seen that before on the rugby field as well, and.... I hope I never see that again..

As a discussion point: what can you do as a captain/coach there? We don't really have an on-field review system at this level.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was the ref that bad I was watching from the car park after Merrylands got eliminated the game before sounded like a great game

Well the question is: did he make any more mistakes than your average 2nd Grade ref? You expect the finals refs to be better than average of course. I saw a few in the game that he was wrong on, but I get the luxury of watching back a video I can pause to analyse.

The big one was a howler. If that was in the last minute of the game and gave Redfield victory, you'd say definitely he changed the outcome.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Well the question is: did he make any more mistakes than your average 2nd Grade ref? You expect the finals refs to be better than average of course. I saw a few in the game that he was wrong on, but I get the luxury of watching back a video I can pause to analyse.

The big one was a howler. If that was in the last minute of the game and gave Redfield victory, you'd say definitely he changed the outcome.
I definitely changed the outcome of the game. It was a singular play that shouldn’t have happened. The game was decided by 4 points.
It would have led to different decisions being made in the game. It would have led to Redfield having to chase the game harder. It may have led to us taking penalties at different points.
It ultimately decided the game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Prodigy in terms of the scrums: in your own half it looked like you were happy to get the ball out, but pushed for penalties in their half.

Was that a plan or just how it worked out? You were dominating and I thought a couple of penalties inside your 40 to get downfield and relieve pressure looked like a good move, despite the lineout having the odd blip.

BJT

Peter Burge (5)
I definitely changed the outcome of the game. It was a singular play that shouldn’t have happened. The game was decided by 4 points.
It would have led to different decisions being made in the game. It would have led to Redfield having to chase the game harder. It may have led to us taking penalties at different points.
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

You copped an absolute howler, you did, no denying it. The bloke probably shouldn't be reffing, or he should have consulted with one of this touchies if he wasnt sure.

But if you're a senior coach at your club (as I know you are), and you believe that a decision more than 60 minutes before the end of the game decided the result (that wasnt a red card), you are kidding yourself. What message does that send to your players???

They know you're on here, and they know who you are. Think about how you conduct yourself.

Uzi1989

Stan Wickham (3)
@Prodigy did the redfield fans start singing and yelling na na na na x2 hey hey hey good bye when you’re last player got carded like they did against hac

Last edited:

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
@Prodigy in terms of the scrums: in your own half it looked like you were happy to get the ball out, but pushed for penalties in their half.

Was that a plan or just how it worked out? You were dominating and I thought a couple of penalties inside your 40 to get downfield and relieve pressure looked like a good move, despite the lineout having the odd blip.
More along with how the game went. While we had the dominant scrum, we were also penalized a couple of time. I guess we just played the scrums as we saw them.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

You copped an absolute howler, you did, no denying it. The bloke probably shouldn't be reffing, or he should have consulted with one of this touchies if he wasnt sure.

But if you're a senior coach at your club (as I know you are), and you believe that a decision more than 60 minutes before the end of the game decided the result (that wasnt a red card), you are kidding yourself. What message does that send to your players???

They know you're on here, and they know who you are. Think about how you conduct yourself.
Think about how I conduct myself? Interesting.
I’ve got no problem with anyone on here knowing who I am. My name is Nathan Harvey and I’m the club coach at Epping. I’m not hiding behind an obscure screen name. Geez, I’m even using a proper profile picture.
I’d like to know what part of what I’ve said so far is an issue. The game was decided by less than 7 points. Redfield scored 7 points based on that call. It’s not controversial.
I’d like an explanation on why it was allowed to happen. My guys who worked their butts off deserve to know.
It needs to be a learning experience for everyone. We are happy to note when player stuff up and make mistakes. We wish Redfield good luck after the game. My guys kept their chins up and supported first grade.

I got more out of my guys and my club this year than any other club has had to ask of their players, supporters and committee. I couldn’t be prouder. I’m disappointed for them that their amazing season will be remembered for that decision!

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are 4 points separating them from Petersham on the Club Championship table, so maybe that's a question of who wants it more/less.

A 10-club Div 1 is a nice idea, but only if you can run an 18-week season to even everything up. And I'm not sure that is sustainable.

View attachment 14605
Can’t see Subbies running a 10 team Div 1 which would leave a 6 club Div 2.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought we copped some tough calls yesterday, but I just watched the Epping/Redfield decision.

I think people understand referees make mistakes with forward passes, knock ons, scrum infringements, but this is another level. The rule is all receiving team players must be at the 10m line unless warned. That just can't be a try.