• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

SubbiesSoftie

Frank Row (1)
Drifting away from referee complaints....
Some closer than expected games in Div 1.

HH only beating Petersham by 10 points. I realise there were 2 late tries but would this worry HH at all with a rematch this weekend?

Colleagues seemed to have dipped towards the back of the season, only managing 19 points against a poor Drummoyne, does anyone see them as a true threat against Waverley or HH?

Pats seemed to take care of Blue Mountains quite comfortably, likely speaking to the Goats ability rather than Pats.

Any early money on who will be crowned champs in Kentwell?

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
If Colleagues are dipping, you'd probably have to back Waverley?
92DF1A6F-8435-4E5D-BD69-D6D6382DAB2C.jpeg

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
@Pfitzy do you have a local guy who does jersey framing for you? Looking for someone local as the guy we’ve been recommend is at Chatswood.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
I was intrigued by the comments on here so had a look at the Epping v Redfield match to see what the all the fuss was about.

Holy smokes! I feel for Epping - plainly the wrong call. A sour way for the season to end, for all involved.

Interested to see how Drummoyne bounce back in 2023. No teams in the finals this year off the back of the 2020 success in the Club Championship and Kentwell - a dramatic fall from grace.

A few quick Div 1 Grand Final & Premiership tips

Sutherland Cup - Mosman v Colleagues
Judd Cup - Blue Mountains v Mosman (Blueys Judd Cup isn't a "fourth" grade side - they'd probably beat their seconds but what can you do!)
Whiddon Cup - Waverley v Blue Mountains (as above, but I am more accepting as Waverley have come top 2 in Kentwell, Burke & Barbour so it's not a blatant 'stack')
Barbour Cup - Colleagues v St Pat's
Burke - Waverley v Hunters Hill
Kentwell - Waverley v Colleagues

Not sure if these combinations are possible when the draw crosses in week 2 of finals but you get my drift. Will be a big day for Waverley at TG Milner in a few weeks methinks.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy do you have a local guy who does jersey framing for you? Looking for someone local as the guy we’ve been recommend is at Chatswood.
We had a guy up at Victoria Avenue in Castle Hill. Will see if someone has his details.

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Drifting away from referee complaints....
Some closer than expected games in Div 1.

HH only beating Petersham by 10 points. I realise there were 2 late tries but would this worry HH at all with a rematch this weekend?

Colleagues seemed to have dipped towards the back of the season, only managing 19 points against a poor Drummoyne, does anyone see them as a true threat against Waverley or HH?

Pats seemed to take care of Blue Mountains quite comfortably, likely speaking to the Goats ability rather than Pats.

Any early money on who will be crowned champs in Kentwell?
All good from our end. Petersham are strong and have good players across the park but we were still down 5 of our normal starters in 1's and were up by 22 before taking the foot off the gas late

Looking forward to a final series without any drama similar to what seems to have happened in the lower divisions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Dirty Reds not in Div 1.... Who would of thunk it. Hope the WAGS are happy. Look at what you have done

(Potentially)?

Are there multiple clubs wanting to go up? A lot of chat about clubs going down to various divisions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Dirty Reds not in Div 1.... Who would of thunk it. Hope the WAGS are happy. Look at what you have done

(Potentially)?

Are there multiple clubs wanting to go up? A lot of chat about clubs going down to various divisions.

On the surface it looks ripe for getting back to 8 per div looking at the results. The first step is deciding who drops down from Div 1 then cascade to Div 2 and 3.

Someone like Epping would be happy to get back to a division with 3 Grades minimum so they're not The Travelling Wilburys again.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
8 is the sweet spot right? With a 4 team finals

14 games is the most I think anyone can really bare now.

Yep - 20 weeks maximum: 14 rounds, 2 wet weather, one long weekend bye, and 3 of finals.

Easter is April 7-10 next year, so if the season starts April 15 - I hasten to add all these dates are just my speculation, not official :) :

Rounds 1-4 - Apr 15 > May 6
Wet Weather May 13
Rounds 5-7 - May 20 > Jun 3
Long Weekend Jun 10
Rounds 8-12 - Jun 17 > Jul 15
Wet Weather Jul 22
Rounds 13-14 - Jul 29 > Aug 5

Finals for Aug 12-26

After that it is a question of whether Divisions are going to be staggered again. Typically Div 1 finishes a week later but they usually have an extra Wet Weather weekend anyway.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Completely agree - Alot of players are good for the first half of the season but dont commit until its finals time again. Alot of sports in the same situation trying to get people to commit full time is almost impossible.
Players then will come back for finals time. Subbies have alot of big decisions coming over the off season. Hopefully we can keep the top grades at a good level.

Speaking of a good level - that Petersham pitch on Saturday was terrible. Groundsman is going to have some issues rolling that for Cricket season.

Numberthree

Frank Row (1)
Completely agree - Alot of players are good for the first half of the season but dont commit until its finals time again. Alot of sports in the same situation trying to get people to commit full time is almost impossible.
Players then will come back for finals time. Subbies have alot of big decisions coming over the off season. Hopefully we can keep the top grades at a good level.

Speaking of a good level - that Petersham pitch on Saturday was terrible. Groundsman is going to have some issues rolling that for Cricket season.
The pitch at Camperdown is always terrible. It takes one game on a rainy Saturday and it's done for the season. You'd think after this many years council would have found a way to improve drainage but doesn't seem to be a priority.

Numberthree

Frank Row (1)
8 is the sweet spot right? With a 4 team finals

14 games is the most I think anyone can really bare now.
There's some talk about Div 1 being a 9 team comp next year - 16 games, every team gets 2 byes so no need for the guaranteed byes. Same length season. I don't think subbies have any real appetite to send Drummoyne down. They had a tough season but at least they kept rolling out 5 teams every week and weren't being beaten by 100. Same for Petersham. I think there are a lot of conversations to be had before the final makeup for div 1 is resolved next year.

Numberthree

Frank Row (1)
All good from our end. Petersham are strong and have good players across the park but we were still down 5 of our normal starters in 1's and were up by 22 before taking the foot off the gas late

Looking forward to a final series without any drama similar to what seems to have happened in the lower divisions.
I was out there on Saturday, HH look to be in pretty good form, maybe the best form of the comp right now. Thought the game turned in that period in the second half with HH up 20-10 and Petersham on their line for 5 minutes. Eventually got held up over the line, knocked on soon after the dropout and next minute HH are scoring up the other hand. 20-17 becomes 25-10. Games can turn on small things.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
There's some talk about Div 1 being a 9 team comp next year - 16 games, every team gets 2 byes so no need for the guaranteed byes. Same length season. I don't think subbies have any real appetite to send Drummoyne down. They had a tough season but at least they kept rolling out 5 teams every week and weren't being beaten by 100. Same for Petersham. I think there are a lot of conversations to be had before the final makeup for div 1 is resolved next year.

and Knobs down to Div4 to start their rebuild?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I guess my first question with Knox: *why* are they forfeiting?

Is it simply that they've run out of guys able to play at First Grade level due to injury or absence? Saw a lot of clubs lose players in July/August to Euro holidays.

If you can't get your First Grade on the field, the cascading effect on every grade can be dangerous. So 28-nil might be preferable to more injuries and long-term departures from the club.

Personally speaking, I wasn't thrilled to be playing a lot of First Grade this year given my age and fitness. I can't imagine what it is like against some of those First Div teams.

Numberthree

Frank Row (1)
I guess my first question with Knox: *why* are they forfeiting?

Is it simply that they've run out of guys able to play at First Grade level due to injury or absence? Saw a lot of clubs lose players in July/August to Euro holidays.

If you can't get your First Grade on the field, the cascading effect on every grade can be dangerous. So 28-nil might be preferable to more injuries and long-term departures from the club.

Personally speaking, I wasn't thrilled to be playing a lot of First Grade this year given my age and fitness. I can't imagine what it is like against some of those First Div teams.
They were down to 1s, 2s and colts from pretty early in the season. They had 2 guys red carded at the end of 1s for abusing the ref in the game against Petersham (which they lost at the death) and that was it for the season. Guess that was the straw that broke the camel's back for them, don't know much more than that.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2 Semi Finals Preview

1st grade
UNSW vs Hawkesbury V
: Only clash this year resulted in a 45-21 victory to HV. Can see a similar result coming Saturday with a strong HV result, as along with Newport these two teams are a class above in Barraclough
Newport vs Lindfield: Lindfield will be praying for rain all week to try and nullify Newports sparkling backline. Sefton was a bog last week and is not at semi final standard. Newport victories 41-10 and 29-17, the last game being 3 weeks ago when Lindfield scored two late tries in last 5 mins. But having watched Gordon beat Norths yesterday anything is possible in finals footy. Newport should win and win well with a Breakers victory by 15+ (unless it pisses down and it will be closer).

2nd grade
UNSW vs Newport:
UNSW edged out a tight victory in the teams only clash but Newport were down signifcant cattle with a covid outbreak impacting players across the grades. UNSW late season form has been strong and they will go in justifed favourities but think if Newport are at full strength they can overcome this challenge. My blue eye says Breakers but I will go with UNSW in a very tight affair.
Lindfield vs Hills: Old Soldier were deserved Minor premiers and go in heavy favourites. My only concern is game fitness as they havent played for 3 weeks but they should have enough talent to see of a gallant Hills outfit.

Colts
Lindfield vs Hills:
Old Soldier edged out a 8-5 victory mid season and Hills will like their chances of an upset. Question marks remain over Lindfields backline defence but I think a forward game beckons with Lindfield heading to the big dance.
Newport vs Easts: Easts inflicted one of only two losses for the Breakers and are a real chance of getting the biscuits here. This game will come down to a touch of class from someone to secure a victory. Head says Easts but heart says Breakers...just by 1

3rd grade
Newport vs UNSW:
Minor premiers should have too much firepower for UNSW and should grind out a solid victory even though their only season loss was to the students. Saturday will have a very different Newport side to that mid season loss.
Hills vs Lindfield: Hills will be way too tough for old soldier and a 10+ victory awaits for Hills.