• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

bowralhighlander

Bob McCowan (2)
HAC in particular were struggling for numbers last year. Think Harlequins were OK but using Easts Colts - not sure that is sustainable.

Not sure about Hills going down but as BJT said above:

It would be a 2-horse race and that creates the danger of stacking from Round 1. Not that an 8-club division wouldn't have that problem either I guess, but a shellacking twice a year would be preferable to thrice.

Some form of grading system for grades would be an administrative nightmate across Divisions. Rugby League have grading but their squad system is much more tightly managed, involves a lot of money, and altogether reduces clubs down to win-or-die at senior level.

Hunters Hill in particular have ruined Division 2. St Pat's are strong (stronger than a few Division 1 clubs) but I can understand them not wanting to move up as they have not won the competition in top grades the last few years. You raise a strong argument. If the three reported teams have moved down, how would someone like Lindfield feel going out to get baconed by Hunters, Pats, Newport, before a winnable but yet hard game against UNSW. Then the cycle restarts itself. Try doing that three times and Lindfield will be getting beat by 70+ by Round 7.

bowralhighlander

Bob McCowan (2)
In saying all that I have said, I have heard Hills will not go down which would mean they are targeting a 6 team competition. It would still be a big ask for a few clubs to front up in that competition.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In saying all that I have said, I have heard Hills will not go down which would mean they are targeting a 6 team competition. It would still be a big ask for a few clubs to front up in that competition.

Even numbered divisions is critical to avoid bye rounds. We were in a 7-club comp one year and a bye up against a wet weather weekend sucked mightily.

The primacy of 1-2 clubs in a Division isn't unheard of, but the size of the gap back to the chasers can be the issue. It ebbs and flows and nobody has had it their own way all the time.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Relocated cities so been a while since I last posted.

I think clubs refusing to go up is a significant problem. A harsh but simple solution is they can stay but won't be allowed to contest the finals...in any grade.

They can parade their "power" all year but won't get any silverware. The Club's will either fold/get weak as players can't play for the title or bite the bullet and step up.

Another option could be if Subbies won't act on this, maybe all the other clubs should just forfeit whenever they play said team. It would embarrass the club, piss off their players getting no games and Subbies might just do something to avoid the debacle.

P.S. On the Shute Shield suggestion...picked a fight with that thread a few year's ago. A mule's stubbornness cannot measure up when discussing any changes to that competition.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very harsh solution - could destroy a club if no silverware is on offer, so it is a far bigger stick than the carrot in my opinion.

The other way to look at it: what if a club refuses to come down a Division? Knox, for example, was running very skinny on numbers and results last year (9 wins from 40 matches, 4 of which were Second Grade). They want to stay by the looks.

HH by contrast got up into First Division and got bounced a few years back I seem to remember. It can be a hard slog, and even ambitious clubs can come off worse for wear after an unsuccessful venture up the divs.

I've long believed that more than 3 Grades + Colts in the competition starts to become too much weight for many clubs to bear. The issue being players won't simply go to another club; they'll quit

Last edited:

bowralhighlander

Bob McCowan (2)
Subbies need to be firm. They telll Knox that they have been relegated and Hunters Hill they have been moved up. Simple. If Hunters email debating this then ignore the email. Send the draw out and that is where your playing. What can they do from there really?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies need to be firm. They telll Knox that they have been relegated and Hunters Hill they have been moved up. Simple. If Hunters email debating this then ignore the email. Send the draw out and that is where your playing. What can they do from there really?

You know it isn't a dictatorship, right? :)

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Tim is considering a variety of options at present. I would not be so sure a 6 team Division 2 will go ahead. The feedback from the clubs was r negative about and Subbies have been asked to look at another option. The 1st Division Draw was meant to be out by January 13th but we still have not seen it. Apparently "everything is on the table" at the moment and this could be bigger than we anticipated. To say there is a hard word put on Hunters Hill would be an understatement.

bowralhighlander

Bob McCowan (2)
Newport finished 2nd in the Mick Curry 7s. Newport were the best team there winning all their group games by 30-40+ and their semi final 36-0. Merewether fought them out in the final to score on the final play 17-12. Newport looked very strong and had a lot of talent though. I predict a big year for them and think they can compete with Hunters Hill.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Been keeping my ear to the grindstone and this is what the Woodsman has for you all:
1. Subbies is a sh!tstorm at the moment with lots of teams scrambling, however, one club that has been historically good is having a large revivial due to an improved relationship with their "Tartan-wearing kin". I've been told that they are making a play at re-entering from, hear this, Division 6 to Division 2.
2. Clubs in Division 3 will not touch Division 2 with a '10 foot pole' as long as two clubs, who have been long thought to provide exytra incentives to players, are moved on.
3. No one in Subbies land can believe that Knox survived the cut from Division 1. However, Subbies cards were dealt at the AGM when the Division 1 Rep was chosen.....
4. Newport employed a coach to take their 7s program, who is assisting Todd Louden at Southern Districts. They have been targetting the 7s course for a while, and I'm hearing a blockbuster 1st grade clash for the Breakers may be played at Rat Park before Warringah 1st grade, such is the relationship between the clubs.
5. The merger of two close clubs that involved a University has been quashed. On close inspection of the other club, the first determined the risk too high and not enough reward.
6. Subbies are pushing for the top three divisions to include 8 clubs each and this is what it may look like:
Division 1(4 grades & colts) - Colleagues, Mosman, Drummoyne, Blue Mountains, Waverley, Forest, Hunters Hill, Knox
Division 2 (4 grades & colts)- Petersham, St Patricks, Newport, UNSW, Hills, Old Ignatians, Lindfield, (mystery club from point 1 or Western Raptors).
Division 3 (3 grades & colts optional) - Barker, Beecroft, Epping, Hawkesbury Valley, Briars, Northern Saints, (mystery club from point 1 or Western Raptors).

Last edited:

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Newport finished 2nd in the Mick Curry 7s. Newport were the best team there winning all their group games by 30-40+ and their semi final 36-0. Merewether fought them out in the final to score on the final play 17-12. Newport looked very strong and had a lot of talent though. I predict a big year for them and think they can compete with Hunters Hill.
Merewether took it out in golden point extra time after finishing the game at 12-all.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Been keeping my ear to the grindstone and this is what the Woodsman has for you all:
1. Subbies is a sh!tstorm at the moment with lots of teams scrambling, however, one club that has been historically good is having a large revivial due to an improved relationship with their "Tartan-wearing kin". I've been told that they are making a play at re-entering from, hear this, Division 6 to Division 2.
Mystery club from point 1?
Untitled.png

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi Woody,

Ned here.

I don't know where you get your information from but there is certainly no division 6 club who has been invited to play in 2nd division. This is the information we have in email, so you can tell your advisor they are wrong:

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 5.22.31 pm.png

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Nothing is confirmed but it looks like it is heading this way. Hunters Hill are the ones slowing it down. They are refusing to go up to Division 1, but at the other end of the spectrum, Lindfield are refusing to stay in Division 2 if its a six team competition (Which would mean it would go to 5 teams).

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hi Woody,

Ned here.

I don't know where you get your information from but there is certainly no division 6 club who has been invited to play in 2nd division. This is the information we have in email, so you can tell your advisor they are wrong:

View attachment 13010
Interesting Ned. Your 'official' email seems to be in Arial font...... Emails from the office of NSW Rugby are in Calibri......

Ned, my suggestion is that you ask Hunters Hill if this is going to happen. They seem to be calling the shots.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hearing that alot of phone calls are happening between clubs. Might be time for representatives from all clubs to sit down and nut this thing out.