• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
DIV 2 ROUND 7 PREDICTIONS

Beecroft vs UNSW

First game at Headen since round 1 will inspire the boys to get up and stay competitive in this match. However, UNSW will be too classy and they need a response after a loss to valley. UNSW by 20

Lindfield vs Hawkesbury Valley

Match of the round. I’m going with the momentum and choosing valley for this one. They beat UNSW comfortably and Lindfield will get up and make this a tight affair. Valley by 5

Blacktown vs Briars

Briars make it two on the trot and bring a bit of life back into their season. Not looking good for Blacktown. Briars by 21

Newport vs Old Barker

Newport will blow BOBS off the park. Happy to be proven wrong though. Newport by 35

Hills vs Sydney Harlequins

Interesting encounter between two big packs, game to watch if you love set pieces. Hills got their season on track last round against BOBS and I expect that to continue at home this week. Hills by 8

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

Beecroft vs UNSW: Cricket score pendng, UNSW by 50+
Lindfield vs Hawkesbury: HV way too polished for an improvng Old Soldier, HV by 30+
Blacktown vs Briars: A yawnfest coming here in a high scoring non tackling encounter. I'll take total points over 70 and Briars to just edge out the result 40-36.
Newport vs BOB's: Breakers have some injury concerns that may see this tighter than expected. I'll go with the Breakers at home by 15.
Hills Vs Harlequins: MOTR, this will be brutal in the fowards. Im going to step out on a limb and say this will end in a draw.

O

Old High Boy

The Menai vs Sydney Irish game is a top of the table clash in the Jeffrey Cup tomorrow. I'd say Menai in a tight one, with a few cards to be thrown in as well..
(and what a pity that Clutch don't televise Div 5 matches..)

BJT

Peter Burge (5)
The Menai vs Sydney Irish game is a top of the table clash in the Jeffrey Cup tomorrow. I'd say Menai in a tight one, with a few cards to be thrown in as well..
(and what a pity that Clutch don't televise Div 5 matches..)
Agree, but how many Div 5 clubs would have the $4k (or whatever it is now) to stump up to foot the bill for the coverage?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Clarification: it is $4k per season for those clubs getting three games televised every week (Divs 1-3 get 1st XV, 2nd XV, and Colts as part of the package).

For 4th Division this year with 2 grades / week it is $2400.

Most I've talked to have jumped at the chance to sell the streaming space to sponsors and use the footage for match review and judiciary purposes.

For those clubs in Div 5, I believe they can ask for individual pricing at this point.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Beecroft vs UNSW - My friend is a 2nd grade UNSW flanker and he is not confident. Beecroft by 2
Lindfield vs Hawkesbury - Valley to punch on. No-one is taking them serious or talking about them as a contender except me but they are going under the radar and trust me they are a seriously good team. Valley by 40
Blacktown vs Briars - Briars to grind out an unstructured and hurting Blacktown. Briars by 12.
Newport vs BOB's - BOBs are a little light on this week and Newport will make them hurt. Newport by 40+
Hills Vs Harlequins: - One of the matches of the year. We have been looking forward to this one for a while and will try to use our size over the reds. Hills will try the same thing and naturally aim bash us through the middle, and play off the back of it, spreading the ball out wide and then trying to kick in behind our back 3. Expect this to be a high quality game and both sides up for this. Quinns by 3.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hills Vs Harlequins: - One of the matches of the year. We have been looking forward to this one for a while and will try to use our size over the reds. Hills will try the same thing and naturally aim bash us through the middle, and play off the back of it, spreading the ball out wide and then trying to kick in behind our back 3. Expect this to be a high quality game and both sides up for this. Quinns by 3.

Tough day at the Yatt for your blokes by the looks - missing a few guys or just overwhelmed?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Couple of great games at Kellyville Park yesterday. We were missing all our regular hookers due to injury and illness so lineouts were a bit of a pickle. Redfield got us in second Grade after two late scores from poor kicks by us. It was 12-all in Firsts going into the last ten minutes when Redfield broke upfield and took the lead. Pounded their line for the last 3 minutes of the game and just couldn't crack them. Fair play.

Redfield would be disappointed by the number of breaks they didn't capitalise on with dropped ball, but to be fair there was a lot of pressure in contact both ways.

Last edited:

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Tough day at the Yatt for your blokes by the looks - missing a few guys or just overwhelmed?
Seems like the former (but probably a bit of both) Second rower playing prop and 3 of their typical pack missing. Would hurt considering that’s usually their weapon.

On the replay looks like they got got blown out in the second half, 5 points in it at half time.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

Beecroft vs UNSW: Cricket score pendng, UNSW by 50+
Lindfield vs Hawkesbury: HV way too polished for an improvng Old Soldier, HV by 30+
Blacktown vs Briars: A yawnfest coming here in a high scoring non tackling encounter. I'll take total points over 70 and Briars to just edge out the result 40-36.
Newport vs BOB's: Breakers have some injury concerns that may see this tighter than expected. I'll go with the Breakers at home by 15.
Hills Vs Harlequins: MOTR, this will be brutal in the fowards. Im going to step out on a limb and say this will end in a draw.

- Either Beecroft gave a good account of themselves or wheels have fallen off UNSW as a four point scoreline was not on the radar. Beecorft also knocked them off in 2nds. We will get a clearer picture of where UNSW's finals hopes lie when they host Newport this weekend.
- Old Soldier at home almost caused an upset on the Barraclough favourites with a near miss in 1s.
- Hills 7 try romp over Harelquins made mince meat of my draw prediction.

Chatting to some RAMS players who ran around against Breakers lower grades geez subbies absolutely stiched them up this season. A club that can field 4 grades gets punted to the lower divs yet a club that can field 2 grades and a colts roams around in Div 2. Apparently Breakers put $500 on the bar for BOBs who to their credit got a bus down Mona Vale road to make the most of ladies day and their awesome clubhouse.
But subbies politics appears to be a joke, Knox perpetually in Div 1 yet western Sydney clubs get the shaft. A broom definately needs to get put through the board and administrators at seasons end. The raptors debacle should of been enough for them to fall on their swords.

BJT

Peter Burge (5)
- Either Beecroft gave a good account of themselves or wheels have fallen off UNSW as a four point scoreline was not on the radar. Beecorft also knocked them off in 2nds. We will get a clearer picture of where UNSW's finals hopes lie when they host Newport this weekend.
- Old Soldier at home almost caused an upset on the Barraclough favourites with a near miss in 1s.
- Hills 7 try romp over Harelquins made mince meat of my draw prediction.

Chatting to some RAMS players who ran around against Breakers lower grades geez subbies absolutely stiched them up this season. A club that can field 4 grades gets punted to the lower divs yet a club that can field 2 grades and a colts roams around in Div 2. Apparently Breakers put $500 on the bar for BOBs who to their credit got a bus down Mona Vale road to make the most of ladies day and their awesome clubhouse.
But subbies politics appears to be a joke, Knox perpetually in Div 1 yet western Sydney clubs get the shaft. A broom definately needs to get put through the board and administrators at seasons end. The raptors debacle should of been enough for them to fall on their swords.
Its worth acknowlegdging here that late in the piece the Rams were offered the option between being Div 2 without a colts or the current circumstances and they chose the latter.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Its worth acknowlegdging here that late in the piece the Rams were offered the option between being Div 2 without a colts or the current circumstances and they chose the latter.
Do we know when they were offered this option? Was it before or after the start of the season? If it was after the season had started- then who can blame them for not wanting to drop everything?

Onwards to Div 1 though. Very pleasing weekend for the HH boys. Forest were absolutely abysmal in 1's. Sitting 3rd in Kentwell feels good. A few teams seem to be losing interest in the competition. Might be the start of the UNSW stack job for the end of the year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sitting 3rd in Kentwell feels good. A few teams seem to be losing interest in the competition.

Would have put a few concerns to bed, no doubt. Gave good account against Colleagues in the only loss so far and wins over Knox and Petersham must feel good. Some challenges in the back half of the year with Waverley and Mosman still to come, as well as another one against Colleagues.

Drummoyne have dropped off a little so they might be ripe for the picking.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Do we know when they were offered this option? Was it before or after the start of the season? If it was after the season had started- then who can blame them for not wanting to drop everything?

Before season definitely as there was a lot of shifting around with clubs to get Div 1 and then 2 sorted.

Logically it would have made sense to ask them if they wanted to swap when Raptors came down, I suppose? Try and keep Div 2 at even numbers. As it was, Div 4 ends up with 12 which is great except I was going to make plans the week we had spare :(

In Epping's eyes I guess they needed to balance up the inconveniece of playing at 2-3 locations every week, versus the level of competition they'd come up against in Div 2. Some very handy clubs there, and they weren't exactly setting Division 2 on fire last year before Covid hit (Blunt Cup 3rd - 6th in Firsts and Seconds and 8th in Colts and 4th Grade).

McLean Cup they're 5-1-1 (loss to Savers, draw with Redfield). Grose Cup they're first with 7-0-1 (loss to Savers).
They'll face Oysters in a couple of weeks with Merrylands again in Round 14 as the main challengers.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In fact, looking at our draw, I'm kind of filthy we have to play Epping and Savers twice ;) that's the way the cookie crumbles.!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Before season definitely as there was a lot of shifting around with clubs to get Div 1 and then 2 sorted.

Logically it would have made sense to ask them if they wanted to swap when Raptors came down, I suppose? Try and keep Div 2 at even numbers. As it was, Div 4 ends up with 12 which is great except I was going to make plans the week we had spare :(

In Epping's eyes I guess they needed to balance up the inconveniece of playing at 2-3 locations every week, versus the level of competition they'd come up against in Div 2. Some very handy clubs there, and they weren't exactly setting Division 2 on fire last year before Covid hit (Blunt Cup 3rd - 6th in Firsts and Seconds and 8th in Colts and 4th Grade).

McLean Cup they're 5-1-1 (loss to Savers, draw with Redfield). Grose Cup they're first with 7-0-1 (loss to Savers).
They'll face Oysters in a couple of weeks with Merrylands again in Round 14 as the main challengers.

Let's clear something up. Epping was offered the opportunity to save Subbies some embarrassment and move back to Division 2 on the Thursday night before Round 1. At 10pm at night, after training had finished. With the expectation we would change focus to being a Division 2 club straight away.
Obviously a move that late to Division 2 would have been disastrous for Round 1.
After Round 1, we tossed up the options. We had already lost a number of high end players (new and returning) due to the farcical nature of our grading. We knew we had the player numbers to go up in terms of first to fourth grade, but definitely not the colts. We saw the move as a chance to regroup and, to be honest, our player group had come to terms with what the decision was. That's not to say that players don't make themselves unavailable when the club is split, but we are working through it.

We are managing the inconvenience of 2-3 locations because we have great people at our club. People who dig in. We have had, and will have some tough weeks. This past weekend, for example, saw our first grade captain's bucks party, 1s and 2s at Mac Uni and 3s and 4s at Newport. 22 absolute fucking legends rolled out to Newport and dug in for two tough grades of footy. Tell me that other clubs would manage it.

This week, we finally get to open at Somerville. For those in the know, that was another kick in the guts to our great club. But as they say, its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.