• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
While we sit 12 points outside Barker at 6th in Barraclough, the Quinns still believe we can get it done. We have two games in hand vs Lindfield and Iggies, before a favourable 2nd round against Briars, Blacktown and Beecroft.

In Div 4, the top 5 looks set, but has anyone noticed the late season charge at Rouse Hill? 4 wins in a row.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In Div 4, the top 5 looks set, but has anyone noticed the late season charge at Rouse HillRenegades Rugby? 4 wins in a row.

Fixed ;) #rebrand

First half of the season we played against sides mainly in the top of the table. Since then we've had a string of clubs fighting more at our level, and our selections have been more consistent, which helps.

We're 6th right now but Mac Uni are 2 points back with a game in hand.

We play them next weekend for our Round 4 washout. Winner is in outright 6th at that point.

After that, we've got Epping (running 3rd) and Savers (2nd) so big hill to climb if we want to keep 6th spot.

Mac Uni have a slightly easier road, with Canterbury (12th) and Chatswood (9th), as well as needing to play their washout from the weekend against Raptors (8th). At this point you'd say they are near-certainties to beat Canterbury and a good chance at beating Chatswood and Raptors.

Optimist me says we can do it. Realist me says Mac Uni probably get there.

We always knew it would be tough, playing Epping and Savers twice. However, that's no excuse for our form at Chatswood and failing to shut out the Redfield game.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Grose Cup: our seconds put the pressure right back on themselves with the loss to Chatswood. However that part of the table is very congested and, with all clubs bar HAC having a game in hand (Saints with 2), the last finals spot is still up for grabs for basically any of the 5 clubs.

We've got 8 bonus points this year: 2BP wins, 3 from close losses, and 3 x 4 tries elsewhere (1 draw and 2 losses). Could be in outright 6th bar a kick here or a missed tackle there - consistency!

1658647519526.png

Last edited:

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
While we sit 12 points outside Barker at 6th in Barraclough, the Quinns still believe we can get it done. We have two games in hand vs Lindfield and Iggies, before a favourable 2nd round against Briars, Blacktown and Beecroft.
Rallying subbies to take action on barker only fielding 1 side might be easier than beating linfield. Good luck.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Where does this forum fall on former (disgraced?) professional rugby league players playing in Subbies?

Do we welcome it or is it frowned upon or is it pending the division/grade?

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
To clear it up, he’s not contracted and hasn’t been since last year to the best of my recollection. So as far as I can see it’s not as if the club has done something egregiously wrong, perhaps just morally wrong.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
could just be a bloke with the same name scoring 2 tries at outside centre
Also, posted to his Instagram of him watching the game yesterday. Can’t really see that being the case unless they’re extremely unfortunate to have that be the case.

Attachments

• F500494B-E43F-4AF6-BFC1-87EF610037A4.png
    F500494B-E43F-4AF6-BFC1-87EF610037A4.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 224

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Does it fit under the rule that you have to wait a year after having a professional contract? NRL counts!

100% him playing!

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Haven’t got a clue about that, I think it only ever referred to Union contracts but not sure.

If it was at the Kentwell/Barraclough level, I could MAYBE understand it (hell, a few years ago Ryan Cross, Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell were playing in that competition).

But in the Jeffrey Cup, it seems a little bit like overkill...most of the clubs there are at about 3rd or 4th grade level. A tad unfair...

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Have they found a date for Iggies? Lindfield takes up your last wet weather week according to the current draw.

We are trying our best. I believe we have a tentative booking at Woollahra for a night game midweek, but whether we can get Iggies to come out and play it I am not so sure.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Does it fit under the rule that you have to wait a year after having a professional contract? NRL counts!

Looking through the Subbies Ops manual, it does not mention the terms "league", "rugby league", or "NRL" at any point.

The term "contract" is only used in this context (two different sections but same content):

a) No player having held a professional rugby union contract in the previous or current calendar year may be registered. Dispensation may be requested via the Integrity Committee.

The term "professional" is used in the above and in the Not Permissible section of Expenses under the Amateur conditions:

"Any expenses not directly associated with playing for the club, including services in kind (e.g. landscaping, professional services, travel expenses) cannot be paid."

So there is literally nothing about rugby league players.

In my experience, you'll probably find a few around different clubs who get paid on Sunday for their league club but play Saturday with their mates for fun. It doesn't breach any of the Amateur terms because the Subbies club isn't paying them.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
In my experience, you'll probably find a few around different clubs who get paid on Sunday for their league club but play Saturday with their mates for fun. It doesn't breach any of the Amateur terms because the Subbies club isn't paying them.
Without a doubt this is the case at many, I would say a majority, of clubs. There’s nothing wrong with that at all. It’s more having a person that SHOULD be at the professional level playing against guys who are there on the weekend for a casual run around.

If the person in question was late 30s and retired from professional sport or late teens/early 20s and a former rep then fair game. But by all rights this guy should be in the NRL and is only playing park footy because of an ongoing investigation and court case.

Again, if he played Kentwell or Barraclough it probably wouldn’t get things too fired up because the playing level is such that at least the guys he’s playing with and against train 2 nights a week and are generally pretty damn good players in their own right.

Speaking as someone who has played in the Jeffrey competition before, it’s a shit mix of guys who probably wouldn’t be out of place in a Kentwell/Burke or Barraclough/Stockdale environment (I.e. 80 min rugby fit, well drilled, footy smart) and some guys who honestly would struggle for a starting spot in any given 4ths or 5ths side.

It just doesn’t sit right.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
To clear it up, he’s not contracted and hasn’t been since last year to the best of my recollection. So as far as I can see it’s not as if the club has done something egregiously wrong, perhaps just morally wrong.
Don’t understand why he shouldn’t play. We don’t do background checks on every player in Subbies.
What does he do? Get on the piss and get into fights.
If it wasn’t in the papers, we wouldn’t know about it. I can tell you there are guys playing Subbies who have been in trouble with the law and we don’t kick up a stink about them

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Without a doubt this is the case at many, I would say a majority, of clubs. There’s nothing wrong with that at all. It’s more having a person that SHOULD be at the professional level playing against guys who are there on the weekend for a casual run around.

If the person in question was late 30s and retired from professional sport or late teens/early 20s and a former rep then fair game. But by all rights this guy should be in the NRL and is only playing park footy because of an ongoing investigation and court case.

Again, if he played Kentwell or Barraclough it probably wouldn’t get things too fired up because the playing level is such that at least the guys he’s playing with and against train 2 nights a week and are generally pretty damn good players in their own right.

Speaking as someone who has played in the Jeffrey competition before, it’s a shit mix of guys who probably wouldn’t be out of place in a Kentwell/Burke or Barraclough/Stockdale environment (I.e. 80 min rugby fit, well drilled, footy smart) and some guys who honestly would struggle for a starting spot in any given 4ths or 5ths side.

It just doesn’t sit right.

Which club were you with and are you with now Mangoman?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TBH I think you're far more likely to be seriously injured by some amateur gumby with a bad attitude than a recent/ex pro who knows how to go up and down the gears in what is a glorified training run.

Also, outside the pro environment they tend to lose peak fitness and strength fairly quickly, so a lot are found to be mere mortals in a team sport.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You're on the Subbies committee Pfitzy, what would be their take on this? No problem being corrected if Subbies have raised this and dealt with it...

Technically speaking this matter would be handled in the first case by the Integrity Committee. The Board might require the Integrity Committee to meet to discuss a particular issue if required. There are then rules around whether their recommendations go to the Board etc.

Have a look at this PDF - start on Page 64 for Integrity Committee ;)