• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thank god we have some rugby back this week
Div 1 shaping up ok this week - Although clear favs in all the games.

Knox - Petersham - Hopefully the sun will help Lofberg return as the best surface in subbies. Everyone loves playing on an angled synthetic cricket pitch when play Kentwell games. Reminds me of how horrid Yattenden is as a ground. Knox are finished for the year. Petersham have been poor in recent weeks, so expect a dour game. Petersham by 14
Colleagues - St Pats - Pats were put back in their place by a strong Waverley on another poor surface. For a club with all that money to play on a ground as bad as Hudson - I wonder where that money goes..... Back to the rugby. Colleagues are fresh after an easy win over Knox and last week off. Colleagues to win this by 20.
Forest - Mosman - Mosman will make this trip look easy. Expect the sideline to be pretty quiet at Melwood as they dream of better times when they burgled a premiership in 2019 after being the 5th best side in the comp. Mosman are coming good at the right time of the year. Mosman by 20
Drummoyne - HH - Short trip for the boys across the bridge. Unsure how to take the dirty reds or if the girls have kissed and made up which has the boys back on track. We should take this by 10+
Waverley- Blueys - Bus Trip brings the best out of Blue Mountains - So they might stay close to Waverley for 60 minutes. This could get ugly late. Waverley 30+
Hudson Park is owned and managed by Strathfield council.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Thank god we have some rugby back this week
Div 1 shaping up ok this week - Although clear favs in all the games.

Knox - Petersham - Hopefully the sun will help Lofberg return as the best surface in subbies. Everyone loves playing on an angled synthetic cricket pitch when play Kentwell games. Reminds me of how horrid Yattenden is as a ground. Knox are finished for the year. Petersham have been poor in recent weeks, so expect a dour game. Petersham by 14
Colleagues - St Pats - Pats were put back in their place by a strong Waverley on another poor surface. For a club with all that money to play on a ground as bad as Hudson - I wonder where that money goes..... Back to the rugby. Colleagues are fresh after an easy win over Knox and last week off. Colleagues to win this by 20.
Forest - Mosman - Mosman will make this trip look easy. Expect the sideline to be pretty quiet at Melwood as they dream of better times when they burgled a premiership in 2019 after being the 5th best side in the comp. Mosman are coming good at the right time of the year. Mosman by 20
Drummoyne - HH - Short trip for the boys across the bridge. Unsure how to take the dirty reds or if the girls have kissed and made up which has the boys back on track. We should take this by 10+
Waverley- Blueys - Bus Trip brings the best out of Blue Mountains - So they might stay close to Waverley for 60 minutes. This could get ugly late. Waverley 30+
If my home ground was Boronia Park I wouldn't be talking about anyone else's ground.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Forest - Mosman - Mosman will make this trip look easy. Expect the sideline to be pretty quiet at Melwood as they dream of better times when they burgled a premiership in 2019 after being the 5th best side in the comp.
Still bitter about that loss hey? Appreciate you letting us live rent free in your mind for this long.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK so Div 4 McLean Cup this weekend - some wet weather to catch up on:

Mac Uni v Renegades - we're down a few in both grades and the Mac Uni Fijians look pretty strong in First Grade. If we got up it would be a heck of an effort given I'm probably starting ;)

Chatswood v Saints - could be a good, fast match with the weather forecast to bake Beauchamp dry. Saints will have their Colts up at Wakehurst at the same time 2s kick off.

Looking ahead there are no wet weather weekends left with Rounds 13 and 14 to play, and the following games to catch up:

Redfield v Saints - both grades to play, and getting a midweeker going will be tough according to both clubs.
Harbour v Saints - First Grade only - I think a midweek game at Woollahra similar to Iggies v Quins could work, but Saints in particular will be looking at trying to make 2 games as well as their scheduled matches against HAC (@ Saints) and Raptors (@ Raptors) and thinking that is a lot of minutes.

Mac Uni v Raptors - First Grade only. Another midweeker that could challenge the scheduling.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Keep the pitch reports coming EC.

I will give my assessment of Boronia in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Still bitter about that loss hey? Appreciate you letting us live rent free in your mind for this long.
Whenever you lose a GF it stings - luckily we have had success since. Not sure Forest have
If my home ground was Boronia Park I wouldn't be talking about anyone else's ground.
Boronia is better than most of the fields in Div 1 - Drummoyne is the obvious standout. Our cricket pitch isnt a mess like others though.
Keep the pitch reports coming EC.

I will give my assessment of Boronia in a couple of weeks.
Come find me on the far side of the field for a beer.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Considering no one else does Div 2 ill have a crack - Based off what I have seen. there will be 4 cricket scores tomorrow.
Newport - 50
HV - 40
Hills - 80
Lindfield - 60

Harlequins - Beecroft - Could be a good game pending who turns up for both sides. Is Pennant Hills oval in any decent shape?

oldmate11

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 2 Round 12

Beecroft v Sydney Harlequins - Should be a good game I reckon, the boys from Waterloo will be favourites for sure but anything can happen at home with a couple of weeks rest. Quins by 7

Old Ignatians v Lindfield - Only gets harder for Iggies after a midweek flogging, a season to forget for them. Hopefully they can recoup player numbers in a lower division. Lindfield need to start proving they can hang with the top three come finals time. Need a dominant performance here. Lindfield by 50

Newport v Briars - Newport will be too strong at home. Tough run home for Briars. Newport 35+

Old Barker v Hawkesbury Valley - Valley go on a trip and get the job done here. Valley by 20

Hills v Blacktown - Credit to Blacktown for turning up this season and putting themselves on the line. That being said, Hills by a lot.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
We are at Pennant Hills Park tomorrow for a few must win games. Beecroft have forfeited 3s which keeps us in touching distance of UNSW and Epping.

In 2s, the winner of Quinns/Beecroft moves into outright 6th, while In 1s a win tomorrow can also see us 2-3 points outside 6 and with Barker trembling in both grades (having already forfeited tomorrow), we would be in a good position to make a play for 6th spot.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Another big day tomorrow - heading to Ryde Park to referee Blunt Cup and then over to Mac Uni to see if we can wrestle ourselves into outright sixth place in both grades... at least temporarily!

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
We are at Pennant Hills Park tomorrow for a few must win games. Beecroft have forfeited 3s which keeps us in touching distance of UNSW and Epping.

In 2s, the winner of Quinns/Beecroft moves into outright 6th, while In 1s a win tomorrow can also see us 2-3 points outside 6 and with Barker trembling in both grades (having already forfeited tomorrow), we would be in a good position to make a play for 6th spot.
Surely Barker forfeiting 2nds again has to push them out of Div 2 next season...

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Surely Barker forfeiting 2nds again has to push them out of Div 2 next season...
The week to week drop outs have been horrendous across the board this year. Teams just aren’t fronting up away from home.
Some teams should be disqualified from finals due to the number of forfeited away games.
Subbies aren’t taking away points for forfeits so there are no repercussions for abandoning a game you don’t feel like showing up for.

Thephantom

Frank Row (1)
Why was HV allowed to score over 100 against Blacktown?!

Yes, I get it it that its a game, and there are no mercy rules in Subbies - but what benefit is there to smash Blacktown and rub their noses even further?!

The ref should have called stumps when the scoreline difference was around 70/ 80 - and not let it get to over three figures. Wouldn't all bonus points be accrued earlier?

That result will not help Blacktown at all, and may be a catalyst for them to forfeit some (or all) remaining matches this season...
Bit of a late reply but the game was called off with ten minutes to go the valley captain asked Blacktown multiple times if they wanted to call it off but they wanted to continue
The game they versed iggies was also called off with 21 minutes to go at 79-0

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
The week to week drop outs have been horrendous across the board this year. Teams just aren’t fronting up away from home.
Some teams should be disqualified from finals due to the number of forfeited away games.
Subbies aren’t taking away points for forfeits so there are no repercussions for abandoning a game you don’t feel like showing up for.
Gee hasn't it been a couple of seasons to forget, first COVID ending proceedings early in 2021 and now this year has just had zero flow with the rain

Can't be good for participation long term.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Hoping things will stabilise next year. As you said, rain has been terrible this year + everyone is taking their international holidays after 2 years of being locked up.

Mosman has gone from having 7 Grade teams + 3 colts teams last year to 5 grade + Halligans + 2 colts and there have been blokes backing up to fill the lower grades
Heard the Mosman boys have had to revert from Dom Perignon to Veuve. Tragic.