• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

oldmate11

Allen Oxlade (6)
May as well offer some predictions

Grade games seem pretty open and shut this week. Lindfield, Newport and Hills should win throughout.

Great colts fixtures however with some heavyweight clashes leading into finals time.

Easts (3rd) vs Lindfield (1st)

Both teams have showed their class throughout the year but Easts will need to step up in a big way if they want to knock off a flying Lindfield outfit. They came out of the blocks very slow against Beecroft and paid the price with 3 early tries creating too big of a gap to overcome despite doing well to fight back into the game in the 2nd half. From what I saw they’re a good side when the game is in an arm wrestle but fold quickly when momentum doesn’t go their way. Lindfield have class across the park with a dominant set piece and a win here could just about wrap up the minor premiership for them.

Beecroft (6th) vs Newport (2nd)

Don’t let Beecroft’s position on the table fool you, they have games in hand and are making an impressive charge towards finals. A good win against Easts last week solidifies themselves as contenders and have a backline with pace to burn often killing teams on the outside when playing on the front foot. Main weaknesses still lie in their scrum which will need to be fixed come finals time. Newport are always good at this level and have a side built on fitness and good structure. Both teams will think they have a shot winning this, should be a cracker.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Knox forfeiting all grades but Colts tomorrow v Waverley. High time they were relegated. Surely they can’t weasel their way out of it this year.
Are we sure they are just not protesting about COVID like they did last year? This is a stain on Kentwell. It doesnt sit well with anyone

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
Here

Here he is back again, first the referees now the clubs. Sit behind your computer and complain all day- sook !

Knox and Forest are unfortunately a rabble and not up to the requirements of Div1. Will there be any action taken by subbies in the off season? Pfitzy you seem to be in the know what can we expect?

9CAB8197-9039-4D18-AC54-5642DE6FECD4.jpeg

TWW.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Here

Here he is back again, first the referees now the clubs. Sit behind your computer and complain all day- sook !

I, probably like many others here, can live with your defence of refs. Riddle me how you can defend Knox here. They have forfeited 4th Grade most of the year. They stack their 3rd Grade for ‘back to’ or ‘old boys’ day to get a hollow victory at Lofberg. It’s laughable they have the pride to send a Colts team to Waverley to try and keep their one premiership hope alive. This isn’t a new trend from Knox. They have been shirking tough games for years. The sooner they go the better for everyone.

At the start of the year Knox must have told a few fibs to Subbies. They plainly can’t field the requisite numbers for Div 1 (and haven’t for years). Epping, for instance, were honest at the start of the year and we all know how that one ended. Not for a second do I think Epping would compete in Div 1 but they’d at least show Waverley the courtesy of showing up and stick around for a boat race.

Of recent times the two most recent clubs to be relegated from Division 1 have been St Pats (end of 2017) and then Hunters Hill (end of 2018). Neither St Pats nor Hunters Hill forfeited a full round of grade games in their relegation year. They showed up and took their medicine.

Zero sympathy for Knox - good riddance to bad company in 2023.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
I, probably like many others here, can live with your defence of refs. Riddle me how you can defend Knox here. They have forfeited 4th Grade most of the year. They stack their 3rd Grade for ‘back to’ or ‘old boys’ day to get a hollow victory at Lofberg. It’s laughable they have the pride to send a Colts team to Waverley to try and keep their one premiership hope alive. This isn’t a new trend from Knox. They have been shirking tough games for years. The sooner they go the better for everyone.

At the start of the year Knox must have told a few fibs to Subbies. They plainly can’t field the requisite numbers for Div 1 (and haven’t for years). Epping, for instance, were honest at the start of the year and we all know how that one ended. Not for a second do I think Epping would compete in Div 1 but they’d at least show Waverley the courtesy of showing up and stick around for a boat race.

Of recent times the two most recent clubs to be relegated from Division 1 have been St Pats (end of 2017) and then Hunters Hill (end of 2018). Neither St Pats nor Hunters Hill forfeited a full round of grade games in their relegation year. They showed up and took their medicine.

Zero sympathy for Knox - good riddance to bad company in 2023.
Completely agree - Show up and play football even if you know the outcome isnt going to be pretty.
Appreciate your view on us and Pats in our poor years - but we showed heart, re-grouped and in better spots because of it

Epping weren't horrible when we played them over the past few years. Would definitely do better than Knox and could sneak a win or 2 in Div 1. Have a good 7, 10 and 12 who carry them alot though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy damn feel sorry for your team over 100 points scored against the boys congrats Epping see you next week hopefully

Cheers mate - we were very short on the day and Epping were firing nicely. We weren't about to forfeit a game given we'd driven all that way! My real concern was how many Epping backs would do hamstrings while scoring tries on a pretty heavy track. ;)

There was a bit of doubt over whether Sommerville would be open but I think it held up pretty well. Definitely needs a light rolling to get it back to even after a bit of punishment today, and I'm sure cricket will have a whinge about it. The tyre marks on it are healing fairly well.

Uzi1989

Stan Wickham (3)
Cheers mate - we were very short on the day and Epping were firing nicely. We weren't about to forfeit a game given we'd driven all that way! My real concern was how many Epping backs would do hamstrings while scoring tries on a pretty heavy track. ;)

There was a bit of doubt over whether Sommerville would be open but I think it held up pretty well. Definitely needs a light rolling to get it back to even after a bit of punishment today, and I'm sure cricket will have a whinge about it. The tyre marks on it are healing fairly well.
That’s what rugby is all about mate thinking about forfeiting but then thinking about the inconvenience it would cause big props mate.that full back from Epping was something else today scoring 41 points today in one game my golly. Good luck next week champion

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 5 looking at the scoresheets:

Menai got up over Irish - Irish were hot early but got reined in and overtaken.
Burraneer over Sea Lice - a bit of an arm wrestle but Hammerheads ticked over the scoreboard consistently.
Wakehurst def Brothers - seemed to be a bit each way early but Wakehurst put on some points after a yellow card.
Oatley def Kings OBs - late score to take a 1 point lead and the match!

Next week:
Brothers v Oatley
Irish v Burraneer

Both tasty fixtures.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
that full back from Epping was something else today scoring 41 points today in one game my golly

They bombed a few as well ;) Lot of scrums today despite it not being that wet on the surface. Big eyes I think lol

Uzi1989

Stan Wickham (3)
They bombed a few as well ;) Lot of scrums today despite it not being that wet on the surface. Big eyes I think lol
Oh so your saying they could have scored a few points if they were not bombing tries but hey there’s always next week bounce back renegades

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm hearing whispers of an unsavoury incident that occurred after full-time of 1st Grade between Hunters Hill & Drummoyne a few weekends ago. Things became physical between Hunters Hill coaches and some Drummoyne players/supporters - management at Hunters Hill none too pleased with the conduct of all involved.

Eastcoast, can you shed any light on this?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh so your saying they could have scored a few points if they were not bombing tries but hey there’s always next week bounce back renegades

Nah mate just that some of Epping's execution was little off probably due to their excitement :) TBF they could have probably got to 100 earlier than when they did ;)

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm hearing whispers of an unsavoury incident that occurred after full-time of 1st Grade between Hunters Hill & Drummoyne a few weekends ago. Things became physical between Hunters Hill coaches and some Drummoyne players/supporters - management at Hunters Hill none too pleased with the conduct of all involved.

Eastcoast, can you shed any light on this?
I heard the HH coach called the Drummoyne 2 and 6 weak gutted dogs

Uzi1989

Stan Wickham (3)
Nah mate just that some of Epping's execution was little off probably due to their excitement :) TBF they could have probably got to 100 earlier than when they did ;)
Hopefully they turn up like that when we play them this week at Merrylands should be an absolute cracker in both games