• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tactics for the Trinations Final in Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snow

The Wallabies will kick to the corners alot and try and build pressure at the lineout. Other than that they will just aim to muscle up at the breakdown and force errors, with the aim of counter attacking off turnover ball.

Yep - this and smarten up the defence around the ruck and bring more patience into our pick and drive. Of course this requires attitude... lets hope Horwill gees them up enough to come up with the goods!

Another thing that concerned me in Auckland was our ability to respond to Carter's short kicks in behind the ruck. Too short for our fullback to counter and too long for the ruck defenders to turn around and chase in time. It will be interesting to see how our back three improve their defence of this tactic.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep - this and smarten up the defence around the ruck and bring more patience into our pick and drive. Of course this requires attitude... lets hope Horwill gees them up enough to come up with the goods!

Another thing that concerned me in Auckland was our ability to respond to Carter's short kicks in behind the ruck. Too short for our fullback to counter and too long for the ruck defenders to turn around and chase in time. It will be interesting to see how our back three improve their defence of this tactic.

Genia is supposed to be the floater for the short ball

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is probably genias and pocks jobs to snuff that short kick out. The will need support from the back three for the offload then counter attack though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The team that can play WC final rugby should take this one. Ginea and Cooper can do it. They need the help of their pack to achieve it. Easy as that. You dont win these playing running rugby from all over the park. Both teams will be highly motivated and the hunger one should take it. Wallabies my bet.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
In Auckland, the All Blacks had 2 things that I hadn't seen from them before. They were both out of Australian coaching manuals.

Firstly, they tackled low like TPN. This created a bit of stress for the Wallabies. Are there tactics to employ to counter this e.g. ball carriers be ready to be grassed and look for support runners and runners expect the ball from off the deck. Anything else?

Secondly, they employed short attacking kicks like the reds did this year.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If we can start well, get a bit of breakdown dominance and back it up with good support play round the field I think we will be in with a chance.

I'd like to see cooper kicking to the corners to get the abs on the backfoot like he did for the reds.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'd like to see cooper kicking to the corners to get the abs on the backfoot like he did for the reds.
He sure have a huge role to play, you dont want his ballet dances on his own try line. I rated the All Blacks scrum untill last saturday. Cant remember when last the Springbok scrum dominate them like that in the past. Your scrum went more then well against us the previous week but then we had Smit in the fatties. If you can even them in the scrums and breakdown they will need some extra magic from their backs to give them the upperhand. Dunno if they have it against the Wallabies in the backs.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I expect the AB's to do the opposite to Eden Park. Without JOC (James O'Connor) our attacking credentials have gone down a notch and with Samo and Vicks in our phyiscality will go up a notch, so I think they will try and take us in tight and make us throw it wide. It needs to get through both Fainga'a's and McCabes hands to get to a wing, and this is exactly what we need to do. I think the Eden Park game plan can work in Brisbane.

If i'm wrong we just need to pick and go and make sure the players who make the break take the tackle and recycle the pill, no miracle balls.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He sure have a huge role to play, you dont want his ballet dances on his own try line. I rated the All Blacks scrum untill last saturday. Cant remember when last the Springbok scrum dominate them like that in the past. Your scrum went more then well against us the previous week but then we had Smit in the fatties. If you can even them in the scrums and breakdown they will need some extra magic from their backs to give them the upperhand. Dunno if they have it against the Wallabies in the backs.

A scrum without Thorn is like a scrum with 7 players and scrum with Thorn is like a scrum with 9 players. Take nothing from it imo

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
file this whole thread under "aussie wishful thinking 2011"

Why? Is it impossible that the Wallabies could win? Is it inappropriate to consider they might have tactics designed to achieve that? Are the ABs invulnerable?
Are you a troll?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Why? Is it impossible that the Wallabies could win? Is it inappropriate to consider they might have tactics designed to achieve that? Are the ABs invulnerable?
Are you a troll?

Told you , look at that Canterbury batch at the bottom. Vokken arrogant that lot.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
To lift a line from the late, great, Bill Hicks; Let's Hunt and Kill Jaquade Cooper.

You know, you just KNOW, BBBT want to go straight through him as a mark of stern, silent disapproval. :D

Z

Zeno

Back in the real world, NZ either start at the same intensity as last time or start lower (they can't go higher). Wallabies may have to weather that storm until they can assert control. Their challenge is to control their own ball in the forwards with patience and not go to the backs before there is space.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Apart from the obvious (must start better, must have right attitude and intensity, dominate the tackle and collisions, must dominate them at set-piece etc.. etc.), what tactics will sway outcome in Wallaby favor if we assume parity at set-piece?

On Defense: I'd argue strongly that Wallabies do not simply increase line speed, but vary it aggressively. Carter is no mug; he manages the game better than any other 10 and orchestrates the attack based upon what the defense is giving him (second man option for width, inside balls to hold drift and take advantage of set-piece dominance, little dinks behind the fast rushing defensive line esp. if cover has been tied down at scrum or breakdown). So, I'd like Fainga'a to call the defense and line speed based on the quality of NZ ball, and even then change it up. Apart from Carter, Nonu is key and seems to be getting more touches in the game than ever before; he really has stepped it up and invariably he delivers quality go forward ball off his charges, but he still has a tendency to make his decisions early and so defense needs to focus in on when he gets ball and collapse upon him.

On attack: NZ wanted Aus to go wide last time and effectively limited Cooper’s options in close. NZ could do so because they achieved supremacy upfront and always seemed to have the extra man because they also dominated collisions. The Wallabies must get the ball in the hands of their more dominant ball carriers early in phase play to ensure front foot ball and to get NZ to commit more players on their defensive ball; this was a primary failure in the last meeting. Palu and TPN will be critical to Wallaby success in the WC even if I think it’s too early for Palu. Moore, Kepu, Elsom, Horwill must all be stronger carriers and everyone else must get in behind to support at the breakdown. As the game unfolds opportunity and mismatches will emerge. Wallabies need to be methodical, patient and not push that extra pass.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
In Auckland, the All Blacks had 2 things that I hadn't seen from them before. They were both out of Australian coaching manuals.

Firstly, they tackled low like TPN. This created a bit of stress for the Wallabies. Are there tactics to employ to counter this e.g. ball carriers be ready to be grassed and look for support runners and runners expect the ball from off the deck. Anything else?

Secondly, they employed short attacking kicks like the reds did this year.

I agree on the short kicking in behind the backline. They have been using it and usually from the 22-halfway.
With Cooper being so deep at full back waiting for a Carter touch finder. In most caes the AB regathered making easy and quick meters putting the hurry up on the forwards to get to the ruck. (if they dont score from it. coopers talking skill is just trying to dislodge the ball) From there the AB get there quick ball.

It's also a good tattic for the wallabies to use close to the AB try line with Cooper and ant fainigga. There done numerous times with the reds and pulled it off. What ever happen I'm hoping for a cracker this game.

And deans uses the bench alot better, last games against the AB subs have been way to late in the game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Kick to the corners which will destroy any attempt at umbrella defence opening up our options. Riptide is spot on in saying variety is the key. Play safe rugby with patients being the key then when the opportunity presents, explode in attack.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Kick to the corners which will destroy any attempt at umbrella defence opening up our options. Riptide is spot on in saying variety is the key. Play safe rugby with patients being the key then when the opportunity presents, explode in attack.

Yes, which team creates the most patients out of the other team should win the day.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Please push up and rush the attacking ball carrier at the breakdown when defending between the 22's. Do not give them time to gain go-forward ball, as well as placing the first receiver under enormous pressure. Yes, just like the Darkness did to you, Genia and QC (Quade Cooper).

Lead the charge and show your team-mates how it is done, Ant.

I seem to recall Anthony doing this in his first Test against the All Blacks. Rushing out of the line isn't necessarily smart football at Test level.

M

Mica

This also gives the Wallabies the opportunity to attack the lineout.
Lineouts are never fun when you are throwing in 5m from your own line; especially if you have lost a couple or have been pinged for "not straight".

Test matches are all about control and building pressure (not flick passes in goal QC (Quade Cooper)!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.