• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tactics for the Trinations Final in Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Instead of having digby defend at 10, I'd like to see quade put in there. My logic being that carter will get through him every time, then run in behind McCabe who can sometimes be a bit slow to turn, only to be isolated and simultaneously smashed by Ioane and Fiangaa.

False sense of security, followed by a beating.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I seem to recall Anthony doing this in his first Test against the All Blacks. Rushing out of the line isn't necessarily smart football at Test level.

'Leading the charge' and 'rushing out of the line' aren't exactly the same thing.

Reactions: daz

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Depends on the style of defense you are wanting to employ. I suspect that both centres plus our sub defending 10 will want to come up as one, rather than an umbrella though.

As an aside, the suspension of JOC (James O'Connor) allows us to play the defense slightly differently. Instead of moving Ioane straight to 10, they can shift one spot in with McCabe at 10, Fa'ainga at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Ioane at 13. I don't think they will, but it is an option.

Reactions: DPK

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I seem to recall Anthony doing this in his first Test against the All Blacks. Rushing out of the line isn't necessarily smart football at Test level.

The thing is: in that second AB try he had a part in, he rushed, or rather wandered, into space - on defence - and passed Nonu as though they were ships in the night. Didn't fire a shot. Did better in Durban recently though - good lad.

Agree with Mica earlier - test matches are about building pressure to earn those things that eventually gain points - and likewise, they are also about stopping the other team doing the same.

Now and then you get a test match wherein a few brilliancies allow you to escape opponents pressure cheaply and even win the game, but they don't occur that often against good teams and seldom against the Blacks.

Then if pressure has been applied and the quality of the ball is at least as good as that of the other team you can't expect to beat them with the clumsy play the Wobs had at Eden Park, as others have mentioned.

We didn't suck opponents into the middle of the field and it's no wonder they had enough to line up patiently waiting for us to run into them out wide. Sometimes they outnumbered us, they had so few at the rucks.

Pick and drive a few times will keep them honest and so will the Reds speciality of inside balls - curiously lacking last time and partly because the runners didn't make themselves available.

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
the suspension of JOC (James O'Connor) allows us to play the defense slightly differently. Instead of moving Ioane straight to 10, they can shift one spot in with McCabe at 10, Fa'ainga at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Ioane at 13. I don't think they will, but it is an option.

I quite like the idea of that.

We will still struggle with a ball player at 1st receiver after quick turnover though. Man I wish Quade could become a noted defender. How many years can we keep going this way?

A

antipodean

If the weather is as expected, the tactics from both teams will be tight forward work and kicking for territory.

A

antipodean

Depends. The Blackness' wet weather rugby is a known quality, but Deans' pack, although mobile is pretty solid. Obviously handling would be negatively impacted, but Suncorp is an excellent ground and it would have to be teeming down for both teams to resort to 10 man rugby.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Can't wait to see these two packs go head to head. Even thought the NZ pack may be considered depowered, they're always immense.

For once it seems Deans has picked the biggest, meanest, ugliest and strongest forward pack in the land.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't wait to see these two packs go head to head. Even thought the NZ pack may be considered depowered, they're always immense.

For once it seems Deans has picked the biggest, meanest, ugliest and strongest forward pack in the land.

Huh?

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Antipodean might have a better idea of the tactics for tomorrow's game seeing he was invited to the ABs captain's run this afternoon, although they generally don't give too much away at those sessions. Hope he enjoyed the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.