• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Brumbies. Give us a hand mate? 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
After all the gnashing of teeth and crying following Giteau's "Fuck off I Captain this vessel" episode against the Reds, should the Brumbies

a. Be a mate and hand over the points? i.e. Forfeit
b. Participate as a token gesture but play like they did in the first 12 rounds, shake hands and leave for Toulon, Canberra and other exotic destinations.
c. Turn up angry and give it horn, tooth and claw.

Doesn't matter whether you are inside the Matt Burke sphere of rugby knowledge or live out in the cold like most of us. Your view is valued among the mortals.

For those who whined after Fuckoffgate, is there a difference here? Brums have nothing to gain but pride and all that.

Discuss.

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the Brumbies players have targeted their last 3 games against Australian sides to restore some of their pride. That's why I didn't think they would have a post-big game let down against the Rebels, and I don't think they will do anything but their utmost best against the Tahs as well. It wasn't just a "get up for the Reds", but rather a "finish the season well and show you are better than you have been playing".

Of course, against the Tahs the home team usually wins, although from memory the one time the Brumbies won away against the Tahs was at finals time. The Tahs had been sailing along, but rested players against the Crusaders and were flogged, and never got back up again, going down to the Brumbies the following week.

The Tahs seem to struggle the most when they are worried about losing, and I think that will be playing heavily on their minds this week. If the Brumbies start well I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tahs tighten up and struggle to score, plus it really makes no difference to the Brumbies if they lose.

Playing against a team who have suddenly found some confidence in a game that your opposition can afford to lose, but you can't, is a recipe for extreme pressure.

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
And, as Brumby Jack says, the whole history of Brumbies Waratahs rivalry would not allow anything but a C.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It's gotta be 'C'. Can't wait to see the Brumbies claw at the Tahs. Surely Gits will be fired up for this one.

U

Utility Back

The brums would be doing the tahs a disservice to make attaining the finals easy for them. How easy do they expect the finals to be?
Was the same against the reds, when Gits went for the kick i just thought 'Good on you, you bastard,' i wasnt angry with gits or took it personally, from pressure diamonds are made...or some shit like that.

The one thing that annoys me about Super Rugby is that people see it as 3 countries going at it, instead of 15 individual clubs who need to look after their own.
Want to play in the finals? Fuckin earn it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Something the League fans never get either. It's a club comp not representative teams.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Should we not also be having a discussion about the Highlanders lying down against the Blues to secure them a home final (for the good of NZ rugby).....

Lets look for recent examples where the potential for debate about teams lying down exists:

1. Reds - lost of the Bulls by 89 points in Rd 14 of 2007 season... Wtf? 89 points?
2. Bulls - rest half their team in Rd 14 2010 to gift a home semi final to the Stormers.
3. Stormers x 2 - Did they actually turn up in Rd 14 of either 2005 & 2006 against the Bulls?

Personally, I think this is pro sport and no side should turn up and give a half-arsed effort.

I expect that it will be a (C) from the Brumbies but on the back of the recent form shown by Kurtley Beale, the Tahs will be far too good for them.

It was interesting the Hickey commented that the Tahs won't be chasing a bonus point this weekend. Why not when it could mean the difference between finishing 4th or 6th?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Should we not also be having a discussion about the Highlanders lying down against the Blues to secure them a home final (for the good of NZ rugby).....

Lets look for recent examples where the potential for debate about teams lying down exists:

1. Reds - lost of the Bulls by 89 points in Rd 14 of 2007 season... Wtf? 89 points?
2. Bulls - rest half their team in Rd 14 2010 to gift a home semi final to the Stormers.
3. Stormers x 2 - Did they actually turn up in Rd 14 of either 2005 & 2006 against the Bulls?

Personally, I think this is pro sport and no side should turn up and give a half-arsed effort.

I expect that it will be a (C) from the Brumbies but on the back of the recent form shown by Kurtley Beale, the Tahs will be far too good for them.

It was interesting the Hickey commented that the Tahs won't be chasing a bonus point this weekend. Why not when it could mean the difference between finishing 4th or 6th?

1. Ask the Reds
2. Debatable. The Bulls took a decision to rest their players for the final. I'm on the fence on this one.
3. Yes. They did. See above re Brums vs Tahs history. If you watched last night's Bulls Stormers clash you will see why these teams will never stand down for one another. It goes back 120 years and is a rivalry akin to very few others in any sport.

All valid questions to ask though.

I don't think any team will help another. Was genuinely interested in people's views after The Brumbies / Reds game.

Hickey says some weird things.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I want to see a real contest. I'd rather see a hammer and tongs struggle with the Brumbies winning than the Ponies lying down to get Tah'd.

Will they still be pissed off about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s no-try at Homebush last year?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's no doubt the Donkeys will be up for a huge effort against the Tahs next Saturday, will that make them the Mules, or the Asses?

How about we fans match it? We haven't had a post-match get together this year, Saturday will probably be the last Super game in Sydney for 2011, who's up for a few beers pre and post-match?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I guarantee this will be an epic shitfight, the spite levels will be at record levels. Brumbies will throw everything they have at us, they will dig deep.

Tahs by 25.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i was against gits decision to kick the goal because i felt with the game already won it was a spiteful decision made not to benefit the brumbies but to hurt the reds. this is no way to suggest the brumbies should have done them anyone any favours up until the result is decided.
i would expect the brumbies to play to the best of their abilities till the result is decided. but if the same situation was to occour and git taking a penalty would decide if the tahs got a bonus point that would take em through to the finals> fuck what the saffas and kiwis think of us (schoolboys?) we need to win this comp for the first time in a decade> and if this gives us another chance at the title, we need to take it

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I hope its C, but with a Tahs win.

For the good of Australian rugby and all...

Oh, and I also hope that the Tahs decide to play expansive running rugby. However, I would suggest I would need to spot a flock of pork first.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
i was against gits decision to kick the goal because i felt with the game already won it was a spiteful decision made not to benefit the brumbies but to hurt the reds. this is no way to suggest the brumbies should have done them anyone any favours up until the result is decided.
i would expect the brumbies to play to the best of their abilities till the result is decided. but if the same situation was to occour and git taking a penalty would decide if the tahs got a bonus point that would take em through to the finals> fuck what the saffas and kiwis think of us (schoolboys?) we need to win this comp for the first time in a decade> and if this gives us another chance at the title, we need to take it

This.

I think the brumbies will take the game to them as they should, just like they did against the reds. If the waratahs are good enough they will come out of it with a win. No point making the finals unless you are good enough to actually challenge for the title.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Tahs seem to struggle the most when they are worried about losing, and I think that will be playing heavily on their minds this week.

Really? What about the last two rounds last year when they needed to win their last two matched to make the finals and took 10 points away from the games against the Chiefs and Hurricanes? If there was ever a time to be worried about losing, that would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.