• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tapuai to Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

How's Taps at 13? Inman has been solid this year without ever really lighting the world on fire. Beale - JOC (James O'Connor) - Taps would be a tasty looking midfield.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one Dumbledore. I think Mitch has been a more than solid contributer for the season and now that he is on the end of both Beale and an improved Phipps's ball work, he has been in the top 5 players consistently.

I suppose I am a little biased in that he is your typical smash and bash 13 in the mold of Mortlock, which is what I like in a 13.

I take your point though, and if he is really a player on the up and up, this time next year we should be talking about Inman as a Wallaby contender.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Would be a fucking stupid signing by the rebels when they have one of the best centres in the world in the team already and a couple of very capable options at 13 as well.

Sign some front rowers, a new flanker and a young flyhalf and a winger.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks like theres not much talent coming through Melbourne Rugby, much rather spend the money on Developed players then spending money on blokes coming through the School boys down there.... Young fella's who bust there guts playing for his school and club down there get a punch in the Guts because he wont put bums on seats..

In 2007, Ben beat out fellow Queensland rep James O'connor to the Australian Schoolboys No.12 Jersey
Beale has 10 leaves 12 if he leave who will win this one

And blah blah blah what the other say.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position is 12, as someone else said he overplays his hand at 10 and isn't as good a distributor as Quade or Kurtley.

In 2007 for Qld Schools, To'omua played 10, Tapuai at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 13. It would be interesting to see how JOC (James O'Connor) would play at 13 in a few matches if played alongside Taps at the rebels.

In case anyone was interested the back three contained Joe Tomane (brumbies), Luke Morahan (Reds) and Aidan Toua at 15 (reds). Not a bad schools state backline...

D

daz

Looks like theres not much talent coming through Melbourne Rugby, much rather spend the money on Developed players then spending money on blokes coming through the School boys down there.... Young fella's who bust there guts playing for his school and club down there get a punch in the Guts because he wont put bums on seats..
In 2007, Ben beat out fellow Queensland rep James O'connor to the Australian Schoolboys No.12 Jersey
Beale has 10 leaves 12 if he leave who will win this one

And blah blah blah what the other say.

Hey, don't worry biggsy; the Melbourne club and schoolboy talent is available to all who want them. Make an offer.

If you think these kids are good enough to play super rugby and by recruiting them it will put an end to the Rebels needing to poach talent from other areas, let me ask you this: How many of these Melbourne kids who you think deserve a shot does your team have on the books?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position is 12, as someone else said he overplays his hand at 10 and isn't as good a distributor as Quade or Kurtley.

In 2007 for Qld Schools, To'omua played 10, Tapuai at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 13. It would be interesting to see how JOC (James O'Connor) would play at 13 in a few matches if played alongside Taps at the rebels.

In case anyone was interested the back three contained Joe Tomane (brumbies), Luke Morahan (Reds) and Aidan Toua at 15 (reds). Not a bad schools state backline...

That was me, although I still believe he should be developed as a future 10, even if he plays a bit at 12. This is regardless of whether players like QC (Quade Cooper) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are in front of him in the pecking order or not. For mine, he would be better suited as a flyhalf in future rather than a centre at test level.

- But I acknowledge that others have different views on it (and after all, that's why we're on these forums). :)

IMO, JOC (James O'Connor) can learn to coordinate and set-up the players around him better with time. It's easier for a player who already has it, to turn the level down on a running game, than it is for a player who doesn't have it, to turn the level up.

At the Rebels, JOC (James O'Connor) may now have to hone his skills at 12 or in the back three, as KB (Kurtley Beale) looks like he will settle into the 10 position. But I also think there are other players (now and coming through) who will be better suited for test matches at 12.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
According to the Aus, Boland has knocked this on the head. However, I believe it's just being down played.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Not sure we've seen enough of JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 to make that judgment?

Probably true, but Kurtley is starting to prove himself very well at that position. While JOC (James O'Connor) is a good passer, his key skills to me (at least at this point in his career) are his pace, tackle-busting and stepping into space. Kurtley has that rare ability to create space around him and put teams on the backfoot due to the uncertainty of whether he will pass, run or kick. That, to me, makes him more of a "natural" 10 than JOC (James O'Connor). Personally, I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) focus on 12 or 13 in the long run, but he could be a revelation at 15 at this point in his career.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 is like Giteau at 10. Their options are limited to using feet and speed to wrong foot the defence. Both score a lot of tries themselves at 10 from individual skills. KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper) are better at making the ball do the work. When they score tries from 10 it is more likely to be through backing up.

Generalisations of course, but my view.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure we've seen enough of JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 to make that judgment?

Playing 10 is often about being a facilitator, about making those around the 10 look better by providing them space and direction.

JOC (James O'Connor) today, plays for himself too often - he will pass @ 10 only after he has had a go and the hole has closed.

Let JOC (James O'Connor) play 15 (assuming Taps is there), JOC (James O'Connor) is an excellent opportunist, kick return threat and can play the 2nd 10 as did/does from phase like Beale and swap about.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
REBELS boss Steve Boland has categorically ruled out any prospect of Reds Test centre Ben Tapuai joining the Melbourne franchise next season.
There had been speculation the Reds midfielder was in the Rebels' sights and Boland confirmed that, as a matter of course, the club regularly contacted Super Rugby players who have an affiliation with Victoria. But he said the conversation with Melbourne-raised Tapuai did not progress beyond first base.
"I asked Ben if he was interested in coming back to Melbourne and he replied 'Not really' and that was basically that," Boland said. "He will not be joining the Rebels."

In today's Australian newspaper.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
In today's Australian newspaper.

Full article for anyone wanting to read:

REBELS boss Steve Boland has categorically ruled out any prospect of Reds Test centre Ben Tapuai joining the Melbourne franchise next season.
There had been speculation the Reds midfielder was in the Rebels' sights and Boland confirmed that, as a matter of course, the club regularly contacted Super Rugby players who have an affiliation with Victoria. But he said the conversation with Melbourne-raised Tapuai did not progress beyond first base.
"I asked Ben if he was interested in coming back to Melbourne and he replied 'Not really' and that was basically that," Boland said. "He will not be joining the Rebels."
Reds coach Ewen McKenzie told The Australian yesterday he had made an offer to Tapuai in January but that the 22-year-old was not prepared at that point to make a commitment.
Tapuai, who made his Test debut against Wales in Cardiff on the Wallabies' end-of-year tour last December, is hardly on his own in baulking at making a commitment. There is no clarity in the ARU's contracting system, with no one knowing at what level the salary cap will be set and until the chaos is resolved, players and franchises are reluctant to lock in arrangements that could come to be seen as wildly inappropriate.
That said, the franchises cannot afford not to push ahead with their recruitment and retention programs and the Reds are fast approaching the point where they need an answer from Tapuai, who is still recovering from a broken collarbone. McKenzie said he had "not too many" spots left on the 2013 roster.
Meanwhile, McKenzie is likely to name 23 players today for Saturday's vital Australian conference showdown against the Brumbies in Canberra, with openside flanker Beau Robinson joining an otherwise unchanged 22 from last weekend's Lions match.
It isn't surprising the Reds, who have been nursing Robinson through an ankle problem preferring to play him at 100 per cent every second or so week, should bring him back for this clash.
He and fellow ball pilferer Liam Gill started together for the first time this season against the Brumbies on April 6 at Suncorp Stadium and utterly dominated the breakdown, claiming 14 turnovers. Significantly, that was the last match for which Brumbies dynamic opensider Michael Hooper was named on the bench.
Such has been the standard of Hooper's play ever since that it would not surprise if the Reds double-teamed him on Saturday night, although McKenzie would be loath to omit blindside flanker Jake Schatz whose exceptional workrate around the ground makes it possible for Gill and number eight Scott Higginbotham to shine.
Fullback Ben Lucas is likely to be named in the side, even though he didn't run at training on Tuesday because of a groin problem. His presence will mean the Reds will not have to make any special arrangements for Quade Cooper in defence, although McKenzie insisted that was never a problem.
"We've defended for all but 40 minutes of this season without Quade so we've pretty much worked things out."

something

Jim Clark (26)
yew taps is staying with QLD, thats what i like to hear. In regards to the beale, JOC (James O'Connor) fullback fly half thing you could always do what reds do, beale is attacking 10 and defensive 15 and vice versa.

i guess it limits o'conners ball & makes him tackle more but i find his defence is really good, and beale's counter attacking is best in the world. Also in attack, Beale is more of a 10 and o'conner could play that second fly half role that a lot of 15's do play out wide where you are allowed to have a bit more of a running game.

it sounds weird but it does play to both their strengths pretty well

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Stiles was born in Melbourne. Maybe they could get him there as a coach?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Stiles was born in Melbourne. Maybe they could get him there as a coach?

I think Victorians are clever enough to see a Victorian born and Victorian grown person are different.

Taps for example was born in Brissy but raises from very young till 16ish in Melbourne, that's very different to Rocky Elsom and Liam Gill who were both born here but never played here.

Status
Not open for further replies.