• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Code: Life with the Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Waratahs documentary worth a look
Darren Walton
May 13, 2011 - 3:29PM

AAP

Rugby followers could do worse than tune into The Code: Life with the HSBC Waratahs, an insightful eight-part documentary offering fans entry to the inner sanctum of the NSW franchise.

Producer Nick Piper takes viewers behind the scenes of the Super Rugby team as they prepare to take on the world's toughest provincial competition.

The Code is a refreshing look at the inner workings of a professional sporting team, the personalities within the squad and its quest for on-field glory.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Rather than sitting through countless scrum re-sets, upset losses to the Cheetahs and other drab games at the Sydney Football Stadium, the documentary reveals the personal journeys of several players as they experience the highs and lows that wins, defeats and injuries bring.

The Tahs hope that footage of tough prop Al Baxter at Nippers with his children, skipper Phil Waugh frolicking with his kids, Dave Dennis playing golf and Wallabies superstar Kurtley Beale focusing on aboriginal artwork rather than his famed footwork will bring fans closer to the team.

"Hopefully after they see this, the players won't seem so distant to fans who might feel more comfortable approaching them for an autograph or chat," Beale told AAP after Thursday night's premiere.

"Most of the guys had already seen it, but this was my first look and I was really impressed.

"I think it's important. Anything that can bring fans closer to the players is good."

The documentary, months in the making after production began during the pre-season, also highlights the lighter side of life at the Tahs, with several players proving real characters.

"It might open up a few acting opportunities for some of the guys," Beale said.

"Luke Burgess was my favourite. He had the Aviators (sunglasses) and all.

"But, really, we're like most other nine-to-five workers. We spend a lot of time at work, going to meetings, preparing for games, doing physio ...

"It's good that the fans can get to see this."

This starts on 26 May on Fox Sports for eight weeks.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
interesting idea. there have been a few like this in the states following basketball and ice hockey teams around and they've been very successful. personally, i really enjoy watching them.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Seeing David Denis playing golf? Bloody brilliant! If that doesn't bring the crowds back then I'm all out of ideas.

This is a great line but not really to the point. The Tahs opened the door to Fox to try, with the inevitably limited resources that they have, to bring the players closer to the fans. That's an excellent idea and a real smart way to have someone else do the spending to promote the Tah brand. It puts a human face on the team and allows fans a close look at their heroes. The excruciating "minute in the maul" and "piggies and princesses" on the Rugby club and "meet the team" fan days are attempts to do the same thing but this potentially will be way better. Whoever pulled it off for the Tahs deserves a pay rise.

The fan forum has a totally different objective. Its being put in place so that fans can vent their pent up frustrations at the way the Tahs are playing. Credit to the CEO for realising that the fans are frustrated. But its a wholly wrong way of going about it. The underlying root cause of the frustration is the way the Tahs are playing and that can only be fixed by the playing and coaching team. If the Tahs slaughter the Lions, get two wins in SA and come back to get two bonus point wins in Sydney in the final two games then a huge amount of frustration will disappear. Not all, but a huge amount. If they were to then make the final on the back of that you'd hardly hear a peep out of any of the fans and the organisation would have a massive base to build on next year, when with a better draw we would have a much better chance of drawing big crowds.

So hats off to the Tahs for opening themselves up for this TV program. Its a great initiative!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hope that this “insightful eight-part documentary”lives up to its potential. In particular I trust that the Waratahs’ media department have been extensively involved as consultants while “Producer Nick Piper takes viewers behind the scenes of the Super Rugby team as they prepare to take on the world's toughest provincial competition.” Love their work. I almost cack myself when I read their player interviews in the match programs. “Who’s the worst roommate you’ve ever had?” How do they think these things up? People sitting next to me often move to other seats when they see me giggling like a schoolgirl as I read some of these gems of wit.

But already I feel I have been conned. Darren Walton talks about “offering fans entry to the inner sanctum of the NSW franchise.” Aha, I thought. At last someone has had the smarts to bug the Waratahs’ boardroom and expose how many of them get stuck into the free grog too lavishly before and during board meetings or sleep right through them. That at least would refute the alternative hypothesis of contagious stupidity.

Instead the highlight of the eight episodes is apparently “tough prop Al Baxter at Nippers with his children”. Now for an architect Al Baxter comes across as quite an estimable individual and presumably his children are similarly inoffensive, but it’s hard to imagine the Baxter and brats segment spanning across two episodes. I’m not anti-kid but 10 seconds would be close to exhausting my tolerance. Not that I’m your average viewer. I’m told that more than a few people actually sat right through a documentary about a wedding in England. I’m not strong enough for that. I would be scared of having flashbacks to a similar disaster I myself suffered decades ago, then tumbling to the floor, pounding the carpet, screaming: “What the fuck were you thinking of, Bruce?” But I digress.

No offence to Nick Piper but I’d have hired Bob Connolly and his missus to do “Rats in the Ranks II”, centred on the inmates of Driver Avenue. Many people may recall the original documentary some 15 years ago. This achieved international exposure including being reviewed by The New York Times from which I quote:

The nicely barbed Australian documentary ''Rats in the Ranks'' may be local in outlook, but it illustrates a universal political maxim: watch your back. Bob Connolly and Robin Anderson, the husband-and-wife team who produced and directed this film, have made the most of their extraordinary access to political infighting in a small municipality outside Sydney.

all the sneaky, double-dealing players in this real-life drama.

''I think it's in his own interest if he's not Mayor next year,'' offers one of Mr. Hand's colleagues with typical generosity. ''Because somewhere along the line he's going to have to give all this up and get a real job.''

slanderous asides, strategic meetings and Machiavellian soliloquies

the element of expediency in this election, which turns on scheming, behind-the-scenes deal making

A female colleague ruefully agrees, ''Such a low game.''

the dauntless energy and sheer Shakespearean conniving it takes to stay afloat in such shark-infested waters.

What better sequel than to take viewers back to the machinations of Waratahs 2008. Who backstabbed Link? Who double crossed Louden? Why do the principal perpetrators still have their noses in the trough?

Already there’s an obvious sequel. “Rats in the Ranks III” will cover Brumbies 2011.

This is the way forward for our code. Who would even bother watching actual games when there is so much blood and gore being spilt in the boardrooms?

B

bazzamacca

8 part documentary? luke burgess in his aviators, talking about his massive "achievements"? oh, how i cant wait to read Kurtley Beale's autobiography. what a rocking read that will be....

the levels of undue self-absorption of the sydney white boy gps type are stratospheric (not me of course). this translates directly into the Tah culture and ther oft-discussed sense of entitlement. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

G

GC

Sadly Robin Anderson has passed away Bruce. I'd hire Michael Moore.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Whats with all the hate? I have seen Nick Piper going around filming and I think that this documentary will be great... He has been at every game with the team and was filming Chris' talk in the sheds after the game V Force (may have been in the others too, but I was there as well)

The point is, its not all rugby, its not all personal lives, it is a balance of the 2.

And I am debating weather to watch this or the premier of the Hangover 2 on the 26th, and this may just be winning.

Fan of Tahs

Frank Row (1)
I think this will be great. I just wish that it could have ended up on free to air - but I am aware of why that would never happen.

I'm not too sure about convincing some of the blokes down at the pub (I'm in Rabbitohs territory) to turn the volume down on Sky Racing so I can hear it. I have a hard enough time when its a big leaguie weekend just getting one of the TVs to play the rugby.

Is there a chance that it would somehow end up on Youtube each week? Surely the TahTV page would screen some of it?

T

TOCC

I think this would be really interesting to watch.. say what you want about the Tahs style of play, at the end of the day they are still the most successful Australian side in recent history, so there is obviously some lessons to be learned from them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm also not sure why there is so much hate. Other shows that I watched like this on ESPN back in the day have been pretty interesting viewing. A bit of a moot point for me though, given that I don't have Foxtel.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Of the five franchises, the Tahs would have to be the most boring one to do a show like this on. The rise and piecing together of the Rebels franchise would be far more interesting. The re-incarnation of the Reds would be interesting. The concept is good but the choice of test subject is poor. I would expect to see an overedited, artificially manfactured piece of propanganda screened which tells the viewers that all in the Waratahs is fine when on field results and public sentimant clearly demonstrate it is not.

By accounts on this forum, maybe they can just focuss on a fan waiting in line at the bar or dunny. They would have enough footage for an episode.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm also not sure why there is so much hate. Other shows that I watched like this on ESPN back in the day have been pretty interesting viewing. A bit of a moot point for me though, given that I don't have Foxtel.

Tahs should take a lesson from the ESPN 30 for 30 docos... The best sports docos you will ever see.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fans of behind-the-scenes documentaries should ahve a look at an HBO series called 'Hard Knocks'. It is a great look at an NFL team in pre-season, it is really thorough, access-all-areas stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.