• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Code: Life with the Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Or The Association, which does something very similar to what The Code purports to do it. It's a behind the scenes look at the Boston Celtics 2011 season and easily the most inside-look at an NBA basketball season ever filmed. If The Code gets halfway there, I'm all for it. Hopefully we see another team put their hand up next year!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't hold your breath Richo, given that the bits they have told us about include a day at the kid's nippers.it would appear that it will be a puff piece.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Burgess is a bit of a character. TPN looks like he thoroughly enjoys being annoying to Kurtley!

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah i enjoyed it. The Golf, nippers etc was really just 20 seconds out of the whole show. Was interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes. Particularly the S & C aspects. Although it could have been a little more in depth. I will certainly watch the rest of the series.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was good PR for the Tah's. Would have liked a bit more substance but it wasn't too bad. I think Kurtley has a huge future as a kicking coach.

T

tallboy

I thought it wasn't too bad a watch. Agree with some of you guys that it glossed over things a touch. Could've definitely done with a bit more depth in areas. I was particularly interested in the strength and conditioning stuff but unfortunately other than telling us they were trying to make them "bigger and stronger to play rugby" they didn't really give a lot of insight into what is required. I know they are trying to appeal to a broad audience and don't want to bog it down with too much specifics but sayin they lift weights 4 times a week isn't really a huge surprise or make me feel like I've breached the inner sanctum.
Showing the balance between the human side of the players and the athlete side is great but I think they need to probably emphasize a bit more how hard these guys really work. Episode 1 looked like the cruisiest pre season I could imagine. I hope it gets a little more gritty as the season rolls on.
A good concept though and a reasonable start.

Reactions: Ash

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Fans of behind-the-scenes documentaries should ahve a look at an HBO series called 'Hard Knocks'. It is a great look at an NFL team in pre-season, it is really thorough, access-all-areas stuff.

Fully agree.. Last season focussed on the NY Jet's franchise and their coach Rex Ryan. Ryan has a larger than life personality, and just fires up his squad. Here is a refreshing a refreshing clip of Ryan, who has transformed that underperforming, sorry franchise into Superbowl contenders. It definitely beats the sanitized comments of other coaches for entertainment value..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGqhZ9SnUg&feature=player_embedded

and here is another clip of Ryan chewing out his players for some pre-season training hi-jinks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwouIbYEHmE&feature=related

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
They did something similar in NZ with the Nth Harbour NPC team a number of years ago. Buck Shelford was the coach and he got a bit slammed in the public for a half-time speech that was recorded.

Let's just say that he wasn't too happy with the way the boys were playing.....

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Did anyone think the extreme close ups at the end were necessary? hahaha. Looked interesting, they'd be hoping for a happy ending.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think they released it too late. With the benefit of hindisight I thought they looked silly and very out of touch. The current turbulance in the organisatation does not reflect what they showed last night.

Time will tell if they cover the tough issues as the episodes progress.

T

TheNextBigThing

I think the filmakers would be ecstatic with how the season has gone. There's guaranteed drama, personal and competitive. The emotion of the playing the first match after the earthquake, players reaction to being booed/the loss to the Cheetahs, the fan forum, and now the photo finish of the regular season. There's plenty of stories to fuel the series as it proceeds.

Re. releasing it too late, they should try and speed through the early rounds, to get to the main story of the season which clearly is the relationship with the fans. It'd be awesome if they were up to date by the finals. Although they probably won't do that in case the tahs don't make it. Editing something like this would be insanely stressful week to week.

D

daz

I think they released it too late. With the benefit of hindisight I thought they looked silly and very out of touch. The current turbulance in the organisatation does not reflect what they showed last night.

Time will tell if they cover the tough issues as the episodes progress.

I agree with that Ruggo. It is clear that the timing isn't great. The problem is that in the doco, during pre-season they are talking about being the #1 team in Oz, and S15 Champions. They talk about unity and strength from corporate and public bases. They show coaches that seem to be on top of things and everyone is on the same sheet. We now all know that it does not seem to have panned out that way.

I would have thought that this should have been released closer to real time. Say, within a week or so of filming to make it more relevant and in line with reality. The clear disjoint between Feb/March filming and May/June release is a bridge too far.

*Nit-picking note: The ending closeups seem far more about "art" than anything else. Deep eye colour, lined faces and stubble that you count count hair by hair. I found it a bit like someone standing to close to me and I am sure I was leaning back in my chair..! (And in HD, it just looks wrong. Similar to the makeup and scars on Cannons face during the Rugby Club).

Ok, so, having said all that, one thing I think the doco will do is show some of the more unhappy Tah supporters that these lads are not playing badly by choice. They all seem like decent guys and regardless of the results on the field, you cannot tell me they don't work hard. Not just on the training ground, but also at the huge community/corporate functions. I think they all have pretty full days.

All in all, I thought it was a decent show and I will be IQ-ing the rest of the series. Just remember, happy endings are more a Disney thing..... :)

T

TheNextBigThing

I have nightmares about the High Def faces on the Rugby club. I feel like I didn't appreciate Canno as a player until I saw what professional Footy did to his face.

T

TheNextBigThing

Wow I just read up on his accident. Had not realised that was from a Ford Festiva rather than a Bakkies Botha. I feel bad for joking about it.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I enjoyed it, rugby needs more exposure and could do with us fans getting to know the staff and players a little better. Like reality TV the more you know the characters the more interest is generated. Contrast this with the Brumbies website where you are lucky if they are promoting this weeks game and not one from 2 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.