• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The defence of Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Giteau has been an excellent player. But he is a shadow of what he used to be. Im hoping its a confidence thing, and so when his confidence returns he will once again be world class. When playing at his best, he is one of the best 12s around, and the way he directed the Force around in 2009 shows that he can play at 10 as well.

However, Giteau is one player. If the way the team is moving is away from his strengths, then a player that better matches the skills required should be picked.

However, as someone said earlier, the way that team unrest seems to follow him around is concerning.

And to the person who said that QC (Quade Cooper), Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Genia had bad years, have a think again.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has put his hand up as one of the best 13s in the world at the moment, up there with Fourie and Smith.
Mitchell was probably the best 11 out there this year gone by.
Genia didnt have his best year, but it was still good enough to make him one of the top international half backs.
QC (Quade Cooper) has very big defensive issues, and these are not new. But if you look at the polling for the internationals this year on this site, he is in the top handful of players.

Giteau was very poor compared to these guys.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Genia didnt have his best year, but it was still good enough to make him one of the top international half backs.

I'd say he was 4th or 5th best half-back this year.

QC (Quade Cooper) has very big defensive issues, and these are not new. But if you look at the polling for the internationals this year on this site, he is in the top handful of players.

Given this is an Australian rugby site why isn't this surprising???

And I'll think you'll find that there were even some people here suggesting that QC (Quade Cooper) be put on the bench on the EOYT.

T

Tank

To me it was a different style under Brumbie in 2006, very structured and Gits was a baby then with Mortlock, Larkham & Gregan around him.

and perhaps, just perhaps, maybe his ego swelled a bit after Larkham and Gregan et al left the scene.

Look I absolutely agree that a top form Giteau is one of the best but as many have said, we have not seen that for some time.

Personally, I cannot stand watching him play 10 and hope like hell he does not play there again - albeit I am sure he will for someone because, rightly or wrongly I think he really wants to play 10 because in his mind the "best" player plays 10. Maybe I am being too harsh and have read it wrong.

I will leave you with one thought - one of the best players of all time was Tim Horan (any disagreements??). does anyone remember him playing 10? Yep, not memorable...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I find the proposition that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell didn't have outstanding seasons to be absolutely laughable.

Genia and Cooper you could certainly make a convincing case that they were not consistently good, but not the other two blokes. Even so, I don't believe we can win the big prize this year without both of the Reds halves.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I find the proposition that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell didn't have outstanding seasons to be absolutely laughable.

Genia and Cooper you could certainly make a convincing case that they were not consistently good, but not the other two blokes. Even so, I don't believe we can win the big prize this year without both of the Reds halves.

I'd agree with that - that's why I only talked about Genia and QC (Quade Cooper).

I still find it laughable that someone has suggested that the AB fear Giteau at 10?!?! I can't think of one game where he has been dominant against the ABs or has been the key player or even strongly featured.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
No. i'm saying Larkham knew what he was doing. QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't.

When playing 10 yes. when playing with QC (Quade Cooper) he's been lead around by a headless chickhen.

That's QC (Quade Cooper)'s style. He doesn't lead a backline like a traditional 10: he creates opportunities for it. The best player are those who know how to run into the opportunities he creates.

That's why Barnes is a good complement to Cooper. Many of Cooper's long passes go straight to the x-factor players outside, then Barnes steps in to provide structure when it is needed, as well as solid defence.

Giteau, unfortunately, can't provide that. He's an out of form x-factor player.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Weepu, Youngs and yes Cown - and I'm not fan of Cowan at all but off the international form of 2010, I think he was better than Genia. Of course I'm a bit biased but I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to say that he wasn't at least as good as Genia was. Despite being a bit of a dick.

I thought SA should have played Hougaard at halfback more too....

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The only two Wallabies to have consistantly great seasons were Sharpe and Pocock. Others had their ups and downs. Lots of those players found their form at the end of year and that is what stands out the most. Mitchell was dropped which is hardly the mark of a great year. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was flat at the beginning then found his rythem at 13.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd agree with that - that's why I only talked about Genia and QC (Quade Cooper).

I still find it laughable that someone has suggested that the AB fear Giteau at 10?!?! I can't think of one game where he has been dominant against the ABs or has been the key player or even strongly featured.

The only one I think comes close would be the Sydney test in 2008.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The only one I think comes close would be the Sydney test in 2008.

Hmmm...maybe. But that's my point.....you have to think pretty hard and grasp at a few straws don't ya??

Was that the first AB game under Robbie??

As a Henry supporter I though I would never hear the end of it after that game.....9 trans-tasman Tests later though it was a bit quiet from the Robbie/Cantab/Henry-hater die-hards ;)

C

chriss555

Aussie are postioned well with options at 10 ... As for the AB`s they are one injury away from another 2011 world cup disaster " if Carter is injured "she will be all over red rover" I wonder wot Henrys plan B will be ????, wots laughable is Henry using Crudin, Donald ahead of Slade.....Donald cracking in HK test giving us a sniff/win .....Crudin stuggling in run on test, in fact i think he was replaced and the AB`s sneaked in with a win... Heres hoping King Henry picks SBW as backup 10 "can he Kick a ball? Henry will say "he is a fast leaner" just look at his boxing....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Aussie are postioned well with options at 10 ... As for the AB`s they are one injury away from another 2011 world cup disaster " if Carter is injured "she will be all over red rover" I wonder wot Henrys plan B will be ????, wots laughable is Henry using Crudin, Donald ahead of Slade.....Donald cracking in HK test giving us a sniff/win .....Crudin stuggling in run on test, in fact i think he was replaced and the AB`s sneaked in with a win... Heres hoping King Henry picks SBW as backup 10 "can he Kick a ball? Henry will say "he is a fast leaner" just look at his boxing....

Dancing backwards under pressure will be a crucial skill against this year's resurgent Wallabies. ;)

R

Richard D. James

Dancing backwards under pressure will be a crucial skill against this year's resurgent Wallabies. ;)

Also known as "The Mils" :p

[video=youtube;wDpSJG0JdK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpSJG0JdK4[/video]

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Jeez that was a beautiful move. It was simple, but the quality of passing, angles of running and pace of all those bodies in motion makes that pretty hard to defend. I could watch it over and over again.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Jeez that was a beautiful move. It was simple, but the quality of passing, angles of running and pace of all those bodies in motion makes that pretty hard to defend. I could watch it over and over again.

How many times have we seen that Beale --> someone move down the touchline? It's so hard to defend against Beale when he hits the line at pace and times his pass so well.

And Mitchell ran it in from a long way out. He got the ball on the 22. Showed some real speed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The key was the attack straightened once past Toeava? leaving options wider that defenders also had to worry about leaving that bit of space. Nobody crabbed Mitchell into the sideline.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I still find it laughable that someone has suggested that the AB fear Giteau at 10?!?!

Likewise. They had ample opportunity in Christchurch to see him at 10 while Cooper was suspended, and the only people who feared Giteau at 10 were wallaby supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.