• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The defence of Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It wouldn't have mattered if Toeava didn't slip over, he was done for anyway.

Possibly....probably....I think Beale would have scored it himself if Toeava hadn't slipped. It looked like Beale had gotten outside him anyways.

Toeava slipping really put Mils in a no-win situation....take the ball or the outside man??

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If all were fit, First Wallaby picked would be James Horwill and then I would go Stephen Moore. I like TPN but Moore does the fundimentals so much better.

EDIT - Forgot about Pocock, my bad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are you guys kidding? Pocock is the first Wallaby picked easily. Then Elsom.

TPN is much more valuable than Moore only because the rest of our forwards lack go forward and strong defence. Moore would probably be higher valued in other countries.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gotta have the Rock and the Cock, of that there is no doubt. Added to that, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), KB (Kurtley Beale), Genia (with a slight asterisk after his form dropped last year), Sharpe, Horwill, Mitchell and one of TPN/Moore. Actually, when I think about it, there are several positions in the Wallaby team where blokes practically pick themselves now and that's a good thing.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Is Horwill an automatic pick at the moment?
When in form he is, but he has been crocked so much this last season that we need to see him back in form before getting the call up.
I dont think he has played internationals for over 12 months, and his mate Simmons has started to make the other locking position his (given that Chis is not of test standard).

Id say the incumbents are: Robinson, Moore*, Slipper, Simmons*, Sharpe, Elsom, Pocock, McCalman*, Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, Barnes*, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor)*, Beale

with the * players having their position under threat from players returning from injury - the injured players need to prove that they are better than the incumbents now, and that includes Palu, Horwill, Ioane and TPN. JOC (James O'Connor) will be in the team, its just a case of whether he plays 12 to make way for Ioane or 14.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That a classic NEVER BEEN comment.

Go The Gits

So your argument, if I am reading this right, Chriss555, is that comment is not allowed unless one has played at the same, or higher level than the player / coach in question?
OK, Gagger, Moses, we need to shut this thing down now, we are all unqualified!!!
Except Lee, who has seen and known everyone!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
When in form he is, but he has been crocked so much this last season that we need to see him back in form before getting the call up.
I dont think he has played internationals for over 12 months, and his mate Simmons has started to make the other locking position his (given that Chis is not of test standard).

Id say the incumbents are: Robinson, Moore*, Slipper, Simmons*, Sharpe, Elsom, Pocock, McCalman*, Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, Barnes*, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor)*, Beale

with the * players having their position under threat from players returning from injury - the injured players need to prove that they are better than the incumbents now, and that includes Palu, Horwill, Ioane and TPN. JOC (James O'Connor) will be in the team, its just a case of whether he plays 12 to make way for Ioane or 14.

I'm a big Kev fan, but he is as much an auto-pick as, say, Vickerman, in that he has been out so much over the past few years with injury, we can't say where his form etc is at the moment.
Hopefully after a few rounds there is no doubt.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree with Pocock.....ROFLOL @ Elsom

Which Aus number 6 would you pick first?
You spend your whole time sniping about how crap most of the Aus players are. How about some constructive input?
So you feel the captain ought not be picked, or there is another 6 clearly better than him in Aus rugby?
Fair enough, then, who is it?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

For me Kev, if fit, is automatic. He provides the mongrel and brute force we sometimes lack in the pigs. He is a class above the other candidates to partner Sharpie IMHO.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Which Aus number 6 would you pick first?
You spend your whole time sniping about how crap most of the Aus players are. How about some constructive input?
So you feel the captain ought not be picked, or there is another 6 clearly better than him in Aus rugby?
Fair enough, then, who is it?

My whole time? Wow....

Is it conceivable that someone will this year replace Pocock as the best 7 in Australia?? Not really.

Is it inconceivable that someone could be a better 6 than what Elsom produced last year. Not by a long shot . If he wasn't the captain, would it be so hard to believe that someone else may be replace him as first pick 6 in the Wallabies this year? IMO - No.

Phil Waugh has played some 6 hasn't he? If I was him, I mite consider re-inventing myself if I wanted a starting RWC spot. I mean, who would you rather be competing with for a place - Pocock or Elsom??

But Elsom has that 'C' next to his name.....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My whole time? Wow....

Is it conceivable that someone will this year replace Pocock as the best 7 in Australia?? Not really.

Is it inconceivable that someone could be a better 6 than what Elsom produced last year. Not by a long shot . If he wasn't the captain, would it be so hard to believe that someone else may be replace him as first pick 6 in the Wallabies this year? IMO - No.

Phil Waugh has played some 6 hasn't he? If I was him, I mite consider re-inventing myself if I wanted a starting RWC spot. I mean, who would you rather be competing with for a place - Pocock or Elsom??

So no-one that you can name gets picked at 6 above the incumbent captain? But someone "might"?
OK, fine. As I said.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
For me Kev, if fit, is automatic. He provides the mongrel and brute force we sometimes lack in the pigs. He is a class above the other candidates to partner Sharpie IMHO.

And provides what I have been saying for two years, balance. Sharpe is the best Lineout exponent in Oz bar none, what he has been lacking is a second row partner with a complementary skills sets, instead he has been paired with a similar player in Mumm or the ineffectual (at test level Chisholm). Look at all the best second row PAIRINGS in the world have a Sharpe type lineout master (Matfield) and tight playing TH lock (such as Botha). It is the balance that has been missing.

In fact on most recent form I have to say that Pocock, Sharpe, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are the only sure picks. If fit and at their best you would include, Ioane, Genia, Horne, Mitchell, Robinson, Moore/TPN, Palu and Elsom (and we haven't seen best form from him since before his Irish sojourn).

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If Kev is Fit, he is in form. He just one of those players that always delivers. Pocock and Moore are the same in that sense. Constantly reliable is my criteria for first picked.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My whole time? Wow....

FFS NO! Are you Eddie Jones in disguise. I like Waugh, and he remains in the top three 7's in Oz. He is not a 6. Whatever gains are made around the field and at the breakdown are lost in the scrum and lineout as we have seen in the past.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
FFS NO! Are you Eddie Jones in disguise. I like Waugh, and he remains in the top three 7's in Oz. He is not a 6. Whatever gains are made around the field and at the breakdown are lost in the scrum and lineout as we have seen in the past.

LOL @ Eddie Jones....but yeah - Rocky was huge factor in the scrums last year, can't lose that!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
LOL @ Eddie Jones....but yeah - Rocky was huge factor in the scrums last year, can't lose that!

I know, I am not a Elsom fan as you probably know. I also understand that Deans will not select anybody this year who he has not already had in his squads and the best 15 (in his mind) is pretty much set. There are options but they will not get a run this year no matter how poor Elsom is again in the Super Comp.

(Disclaimer :- Just in case Elsom finally finds his pre-Ireland form, I claim motivational rights)

Status
Not open for further replies.