• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The defence of Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I know, I am not a Elsom fan as you probably know. I also understand that Deans will not select anybody this year who he has not already had in his squads and the best 15 (in his mind) is pretty much set. There are options but they will not get a run this year no matter how poor Elsom is again in the Super Comp.

(Disclaimer :- Just in case Elsom finally finds his pre-Ireland form, I claim motivational rights)

I hate it when you slag a player and they end up being pretty awesome (F**ken Conrad Smith)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Rocky is clearly the best 6 in the country. Furthermore, if we can get the Rock back to his best, he's the best 6 in the world. The only other candidate for Wallaby duty of anywhere approaching his class is potentially Hodgson, though he is wholly unproven at test level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Kev is Fit, he is in form. He just one of those players that always delivers. Pocock and Moore are the same in that sense. Constantly reliable is my criteria for first picked.

TPN will be the Hooker if he is available IMHO, Moore is great, but TPN has that ex factor that can change games and was the best Aus tight forward in last years S14 and what Aus lacked was the right balance in the forwards last season.

We lacked guys who could put on dominant tackles, that stopped momentum, and who could get over the advantage line consistently whilst collecting two or three defenders.

I see Palu and TPN - or players with their attributes really important to get that balance right.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
TPN will be the Hooker if he is available IMHO, Moore is great, but TPN has that ex factor that can change games and was the best Aus tight forward in last years S14 and what Aus lacked was the right balance in the forwards last season.

We lacked guys who could put on dominant tackles, that stopped momentum, and who could get over the advantage line consistently whilst collecting two or three defenders.

I see Palu and TPN - or players with their attributes really important to get that balance right.

What about Gits, he stopped plenty of our momentum?

Oh wait, you mean stop the oppositions momentum.:frans As you were then

T

TOCC

Is it possible Elsom hasn't recaptured his Ireland form because he is playing against better oposition??

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not Slipper, with Alexander on the bench?

Dunno yet, THP is the most contentious position to me, Alexander either starting or bench; but Slipper? Maybe (I want to see him start and play the season), but also maybe Weekes ( a very good THP) & Baxter (unlikely but was the form Aus THP last season) and the smokey Palmer (if he can work on his mobility)

At the moment Alexander if he plays the season

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Does no-one consider JOC (James O'Connor) an automatic pick?
For me he has to be in the team.

Where is just the issue.

T

Tank

Personally, I cannot stand watching him play 10 and hope like hell he does not play there again - albeit I am sure he will for someone because, rightly or wrongly I think he really wants to play 10 because in his mind the "best" player plays 10. Maybe I am being too harsh and have read it wrong.

I know I am quoting myself, but the latest article on foxsports obviously doesn't surprise me given my comment from yesterday...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...per-rugby-season/story-e6frf4qu-1226004470588

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Does no-one consider JOC (James O'Connor) an automatic pick?
For me he has to be in the team.

Where is just the issue.

The question is where?

My back three would be

Beale
Mitchell
Iaone

JOC (James O'Connor) would be next choice

12? maybe if he plays there for the Force, and shows he can cut it up in the line (I think he can)

I think he may be on the bench with everyone back, and that would give us real strike power as they get tired.

R

Richard D. James

so who takes the kicks if JOC (James O'Connor) is on the bench? Barnes, Beale?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think Mitchell might draw the short straw with a back three of Beale, Iaone and O'Connor. I would much rather let our depth work for us and let these questions be sorted out through Super 15 form. Same for the THP spot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think using Alexander at THP for the Wallabies again is a terrible idea. The Brumbies Mafia, correctly, have stated that he won't be playing at THP, and why would he with Palmer and Ma'afu in the squad?

Some tall THPs like Carl Hayman are able to scrummage on the right hand side of the scrum but Alexander is not able to do so in a low scrum. He goes down too much. We all talk about the need to get the hit with shoulders above hips but the point with Benny is that his arse is too high, too often. It's all very well to say bend the knees more but some props can't do that and prosper.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of the femur in relation to the length of the tibia or some other area in his morphology or musculature that is skew, or maybe his feet are too far back - I don't know.

Agree with the rest of the post.

Just quietly I don't think he was great at LHP in the scrums either last year and nothing I have seen in viewing some of my 2010 Brumbies archived games recently contradict that.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
2011 Wallabies
1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom (C)
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu

9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Drew Mitchell
15. Kurtley Beale

The 2009 Forward Pack combined with the 2010 Backline. I really hope this gets on the park at some point this year.

It'll be interesting to look back after the Super 14 to see if this is still the form Aussie team.

Status
Not open for further replies.