• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
By the way IS, sorry mate if I gave the indication that I thought you got info from papers, but that was inference I got as I never heard of IRB banning singing of Waltzing matilda outside of WC, or the singing of it by the crowd at WC, but had read about it in papers. If this is true please accept my apologies, and by all means let me know where I can get correct info so I don't stuff it up again.

No sweat - there was a link to the parliamentary debate in one of my posts

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought it was French

edit

Sorry you're right. English.
Someone took the time to create a wikipedia page for it.

Only reason I knew ir Pom was I heard pommy supporters doing it in 83, they did as call and reply, ie one would yell Oggie etc, then the rest would respond Oi Oi Oi

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No sweat - there was a link to the parliamentary debate in one of my posts

:lmao: maybe I need more than Parliament IS, I do think they tend to debate on headlines.:lmao::lmao:

Anyway, the only erason I posting on this thread is because I bored as I have had no rugby for 3 DAYS. I hate off season!!!:(:angryfire:

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
They can request it. Won't make any difference though - like in Cardiff 06, it's up to the home union as to whether they allow the AB's to perform the Haka on the AB's terms but that doesn't mean the home union gets to compel the AB's to perform it on any other terms.
When Wales made you perform the haka behind closed doors it provoked a diplomatic incident with the NZ commisioner whinging. Heard Buck Shelford talking about the one with Willie Anderson and he said that was his best haka experience so why not allow people to get involved rather than have directives and fines FFS. A load of bollix anyway, 100 years might seem a long time but it is not long enough for something to become part of the culture unless it is with reference to yoghurt. We aren't allowed our 2 anthems which are actually very important at a political level given that bombs are still going off in the North of Ireland, but France get fined for reacting to your gurning little morris dance. IRB needs to take a look at itself, disgrace!!!!!! Hope all the NZ players wind up being bought by french clubs in revenge!!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
:lmao: maybe I need more than Parliament IS, I do think they tend to debate on headlines.:lmao::lmao:

Anyway, the only erason I posting on this thread is because I bored as I have had no rugby for 3 DAYS. I hate off season!!!:(:angryfire:

You try watching your son's cricket for 14 hours on Sundays if you want "bored in the off season"

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
100 years might seem a long time but it is not long enough for something to become part of the culture unless it is with reference to yoghurt.

What the fuck are you talking about here?

I find your little lectures about NZ being crass, ignorant etc rather ironic, given the rudeness, arrogance and ignorance being shown by you above tops almost everything else I've written or read since the RWC.

I wouldn't want 100 years to be a long time either if supported a team that hadn't beaten us in the last 106 years!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
When Wales made you perform the haka behind closed doors it provoked a diplomatic incident with the NZ commisioner whinging. Heard Buck Shelford talking about the one with Willie Anderson and he said that was his best haka experience so why not allow people to get involved rather than have directives and fines FFS. A load of bollix anyway, 100 years might seem a long time but it is not long enough for something to become part of the culture unless it is with reference to yoghurt. We aren't allowed our 2 anthems which are actually very important at a political level given that bombs are still going off in the North of Ireland, but France get fined for reacting to your gurning little morris dance. IRB needs to take a look at itself, disgrace!!!!!! Hope all the NZ players wind up being bought by french clubs in revenge!!!

Why so angry Paddy? Take a deep breath and think to yourself "is it right that I am so worked up over this?"

Spite will just make your life shorter (and seem longer).

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
An honest question: what do Kiwi's say the throat slitting gesture in the newer haka is supposed to signify again? Isn't it supposed to be the player taking in life/mana or something similar? If so, Nonu performing it and pointing directly at a French player kinda debunks that, no? Apologies if this has already been brought up.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I got an out-of -office Autoreply, so not holding out hope that they will spring into action and meet my demands that the French team's fine be canceled.

Same here, although I sense that they meant "This is an 'out of office/having fun elsewhere' autoreply"!!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Why so angry Paddy? Take a deep breath and think to yourself "is it right that I am so worked up over this?"

Spite will just make your life shorter (and seem longer).
There is no spite, actually very funny to see so much of the NH press devoted to NZ and their preciousness over tha Haka. Shame for the players that the last memory of the RWC 2011 will be France getting fined for 'disrespecting' the NZ morris dance.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
The Haka should just be viewed as a piece of pre kickoff theatre. I thought the France response was fantastic,and I note the AB'S thought so as well. Compelling opposing teams to stand like wooden dummies is the wrong approach. If we are to have the haka then let it all hang out and not be so bloody precious about it.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
An honest question: what do Kiwi's say the throat slitting gesture in the newer haka is supposed to signify again? Isn't it supposed to be the player taking in life/mana or something similar? If so, Nonu performing it and pointing directly at a French player kinda debunks that, no? Apologies if this has already been brought up.

Any kiwi's want to answer this question for us? I'm genuinely interested in your response to this.

J

Jay

Any kiwi's want to answer this question for us? I'm genuinely interested in your response to this.

It is something like drawing energy or air into the lungs, but to be honest all I'm going on is what I've heard AB sources say on the matter.

From my middle class western perspective, running a thumb across the throat while poking out your tongue and rolling your eyes back in your head obviously looks like pantomiming a cut throat, as both of those gestures suggest a person being killed to me - but they may have a different significance in kapa haka. However, occam's razor would suggest that even if there is an alternative meaning to those gestures, the players are well aware of the meaning that will be taken by the recipient and play it up.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Following criticism after it was first performed the guy who wrote it is supposed to have said that the throat slit represented the cutting edge of sport. That is what was reported in the papers. They seemed to tone that bit down for a while but now seem to have gone back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.