• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I just cannot agree that supporting same sex marriage made people choose Qantas as an airline

I've never ever seen any friend that's gone on an overseas holiday ever choose an airline based off their social positions

In fact many of them fly with state owned airlines from countries that have abhorrent human rights records

The market evidence including focus groups suggest people fly with airlines almost entirely on price followed by service

It's worth noting if QANTAS really believes in all of this stuff as it alleges, why does it have such an astonishingly comprehensive partnership with Emirates, which is the state owned airline from a corrupt autocratic regime that is completely anti-democratic, where homosexuality is illegal and where women are treated as second class citizens.

The simple answer is QANTAS' position is morally and intellectually bankrupt

Hear, hear.

I thin a lot of this posturing by big companies like Qantas is either done out of opportunism or, frankly, cowardice. I don't know what it is in Qantas's case but one thing's for sure, Christians are far softer targets than oil-rich Arab oligarchs.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
RA has sacked Isreal Folau. Apparently hes not returning calls from them.

Pandaram on twitter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holy shit! He's gone.

D323O-HUIAArPUl.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fuck me sideways, all things aside that sucks for the Wallabies and Waratahs. What a narrow minded prick, given an absolute gift and he wastes it away. Bonehead of the highest order.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Now to see the fall out in terms of Izzies supporters within the Super rugby playing field.

It is broader than Folau right now.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Well, it certainly sounds like he was warned so I can't blame them for taking this action.

I wonder what good it'll do for the game, though. Were people really going to be driven away from the game because of Folau's social media posts? Will disaffected fans come back because RA's taking this sort of stand? I doubt it. I suspect that instead he'll just go back to League, be welcomed there with open arms, and RA will have lost probably their biggest drawcard when this whole controversy could probably have been weathered in about a week.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Now to see the fall out I terms of Izzies supporters within the Super rugby playing field.

It is broader than Folau right now.

I reeeeallly hope not. That would suck if we had some bizarre walk out of solidarity.
Sorta confirms this was a much more calculated punt by Israel than initially thought.

Also DHP must be thanking god now, his worth to RA just skyrocketed.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fair play to RA. Didn't think they'd actually go through with it. I was instead expecting, as others have suggested on this thread, a fine and maybe a suspension.

Also think someone at the Blues or NZR needs to quietly have a word with Caleb Clarke -- who I saw he was listed as one of those liking the post -- to be more careful with social media.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
RUGBY AUSTRALIA AND NSW RUGBY UNION STATEMENT REGARDING ISRAEL FOLAU
APRIL 11, 2019
Rugby Australia Chief Executive, Raelene Castle and NSW Rugby Union CEO, Andrew Hore have issued the following statement in relation to Israel Folau.

"Rugby Australia and the New South Wales Rugby Union have made repeated attempts to contact Israel both directly and via his representatives since 6.30pm on Wednesday, and at this point he has failed to communicate directly with either organisation.

"Whilst Israel is entitled to his religious beliefs, the way in which he has expressed these beliefs is inconsistent with the values of the sport. We want to make it clear that he does not speak for the game with his recent social media posts.

"Israel has failed to understand that the expectation of him as a Rugby Australia and NSW Waratahs employee is that he cannot share material on social media that condemns, vilifies or discriminates against people on the basis of their sexuality.

"Rugby is a sport that continuously works to unite people. We want everyone to feel safe and welcome in our game and no vilification based on race, gender, religion or sexuality is acceptable and no language that isolates, divides or insults people based on any of those factors can be tolerated.

"As a code we have made it clear to Israel formally and repeatedly that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.

"In the absence of compelling mitigating factors, it is our intention to terminate his contract."

ENDS

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I reeeeallly hope not. That would suck if we had some bizarre walk out of solidarity.
Sorta confirms this was a much more calculated punt by Israel than initially thought.

A walkout seems unlikely. Despondent individuals likely.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well that solves that. Unfortunately it was the only real outcome I could see. I have to say though, a bit concerning that he posts that and then hasn’t been in contact with anyone. Greater things at play maybe.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Well, it certainly sounds like he was warned so I can't blame them for taking this action.

I wonder what good it'll do for the game, though. Were people really going to be driven away from the game because of Folau's social media posts? Will disaffected fans come back because RA's taking this sort of stand? I doubt it. I suspect that instead he'll just go back to League, be welcomed there with open arms, and RA will have lost probably their biggest drawcard when this whole controversy could probably have been weathered in about a week.

I would be surprised if RL touch him. Their image is deplorable at the moment and they cannot afford the this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Did it? A lot of Folau's value was in his marketability and profile particularly outside of diehard rugby fans.

DHP has none of that. He clearly becomes a more important player to the Wallabies now but I don't think his dollar value increases substantially.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Did it? A lot of Folau's value was in his marketability and profile particularly outside of diehard rugby fans.

DHP has none of that. He clearly becomes a more important player to the Wallabies now but I don't think his dollar value increases substantially.

You reckon, I don't see many dependable fbs after DHP and IF in Aus.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I can't remember the last time I felt like RA made.a corrageous and right decision. Kudos to them. Wasn't the easy option

I think it was necessary. I don’t think it had to be though and that their management of the issue from the start painted themselves into a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.