• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone just made an interesting point to me - the only people who he intended to see it were the people that follow him. The media were the ones who distributed it.

Of course as a high profile athlete it would be naive of him to not expect it to get out, but it’s the intent that’s relevant. He wasn’t directing his post at homosexuals and drunks and thieves, only those that are interested in his views.

In context, if I were to post on my Facebook page ‘ if those vegan freaks set one foot on my land I’ll chase them all off with my 12 gauge’, my intent would really be to only get heaps of likes and stir up conversation with my other farmer mates, but if the media got hold of it I’d be portrayed as a potential murderer!

Are you a high profile public figure whose social media is viewed openly and shared by hundreds of thousands of people, including kids?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Are you a high profile public figure whose social media is viewed openly by hundreds of thousands of people including kids?
I made that point albeit subtly, I’m not excusing it. As someone else said earlier, I think he is a genuinely humble person and possibly doesn’t even realise the reach he has. And it was his private page, not his public one. I also agree with whoever it was that said h shouldn’t wear his employers kit on his private page.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I disagree. I think they did the right thing by making their position clear particularly when that position has broad public support.

Folau was always going to challenge it. He needs to at least indicate that he wants to stay to improve his legal chances of winning a good payout.

I agree with Barbarian that his position is pretty much untenable in terms of returning to play. I would still sue in that position though.

Rugby Australia is in a far better position publicly than any other option they could have taken in my opinion. It would do them no favours to not have at least won some public support and still have to pay him out.
Why? i don't think this is relevant. Unfair dismissal cares only about what he would have been entitled too under the contract.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he is a genuinely humble person and possibly doesn’t even realise the reach he has.

He might not be the smartest person around, but Folau definitely knows what kind of reach he has on social media.........

And it's a public page.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I made that point albeit subtly, I’m not excusing it. As someone else said earlier, I think he is a genuinely humble person and possibly doesn’t even realise the reach he has.
Was he not paying attention last year when this all happened before, and he was warned about it, and given councelling and educated?

S

sidelineview

Well said Aurelius.
Its true: the so called tolerant society becomes intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them or doesn't comply with the politically correct status quo.

The lawyers should do ok out of this.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why? i don't think this is relevant. Unfair dismissal cares only about what he would have been entitled too under the contract.
No braveheart is right. It can only be unfair dismissal if he shows he gave a fuck about the job in the first place. There will be heaps of precedents along those lines.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On the subject of how Izzy said idolators are going to hell, so many questions here..

Isn’t god an idol, so by virtue isn’t Izzy an idolator himself?
Also, I’d say a fair chunk of the rugby fan population are idolators as well, through not only idolising their teams like the Waratahs, but players like Folau himself.

So isn’t Izzy encouraging idolisation by playing rugby? How does he rationalise that concept with his beliefs?
Im pretty sure idols are inanimate objects under this interpretation. Not 100 though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I made that point albeit subtly, I’m not excusing it. As someone else said earlier, I think he is a genuinely humble person and possibly doesn’t even realise the reach he has. And it was his private page, not his public one. I also agree with whoever it was that said h shouldn’t wear his employers kit on his private page.

No It wasn’t on a private page, it’s a certified profile with public settings open for all to see.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

That argument might fly if his page was private, but it's not it's public. I can't imagine there's any room for an argument of ignorance on this, given the previous issues either.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No It wasn’t on a private page, it’s a certified profile with public settings open for all to see.
I think we’re both right - I’m not on Instagram so I don’t know how it works, but the one on Twitter was his private page I believe.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
"When I am troubled I seek answers in the good book" is exactly the same as "Gees, I have had a rough day. I know - I'll go watch some videos of Ben Shapiro owning the leftard noobs. That always cheers me up" or "Gees it's been a rough one. I might spend a couple of hours on reddit getting the real truth about what Moneybags McFatcat has been doing to screw us all over"

They're all religions. Except each and every one of them will say that the others are, while theirs is not.
At least in theory the examples you have described are verifiable claims, therefore not religious. Though i think in practice they aren't.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was just googling and last years incident was the same time. Something to do with Easter I suspect..

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Here we go. Is that ridicule or intolerance?
We dare not be intolerant of the gay community, inclusivity is the catch cry, but Christianity is fair game.
He's fine to ridicule Christianity for (ridiculously) believing the earth is 7000 years old because (i assume) his employment contract is not conditional on him adhering to a christian social media presence.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well said Aurelius.
Its true: the so called tolerant society becomes intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them or doesn't comply with the politically correct status quo.

The lawyers should ok out if this.
No one has to be tolerant. Ever. The only reason it's an issue for Izzy is because his intolerance is contrary to his employment contract.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And that all led me to twitter. There’s certainly division over this in the professional rugby world, there’s high profile players all over the world supportive of him, not necessarily his views, I need to differentiate.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out, there’s a real can of worms in all this that many would rather left unopened..

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think we’re both right - I’m not on Instagram so I don’t know how it works, but the one on Twitter was his private page I believe.

No, his Twitter is also public and verified - if you can see it without first following and being approved it's public.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Public twitter, wearing a Waratahs jersey and posting things like this on behalf of sponsors

Screenshot_20190412-212413.png

Status
Not open for further replies.