• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
5B00DB56-D5B0-4274-A3EE-66121B4E6181.jpeg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
LOL. I know you're not really being serious, but why would World Rugby have to allow someone to be eligible to play test rugby for a second country if they were a refugee?

Like anyone changing nationality, you are only eligible if you haven't played for a previous country.

I think they would allow the change and there would be plenty of Pro-Bono lawyers prepared to fight for the cause.

Imagine some kid who played Rugby for Afghanistan and flees the country because the Taliban are going to kill him. He seeks and gets asylum in Brisbane and makes it in Super Rugby as a starting player. He publicly declares he wants to represent his new country.

Do you think the IRB would not allow him to play?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think they would allow the change and there would be plenty of Pro-Bono lawyers prepared to fight for the cause.

Imagine some kid who played Rugby for Afghanistan and flees the country because the Taliban are going to kill him. He seeks and gets asylum in Brisbane and makes it in Super Rugby as a starting player. He publicly declares he wants to represent his new country.

Doesn't this happen all the time already with the Olympics, where they play for non-country team or something. I'm sure it could've happened with soccer as well.

S

sidelineview

Actually, I'm aware of that one.... she was a contractor who wasn't an employee of the company.

So there's that one example, but like those few extreme examples in Aurelius' above post doesn't quite paint a picture of the poor persecuted Christian people.

And Chick-fil-A isn't receiving public backlash because they donated money to the Salvation Army.....

It's more the Christian faith rather than the poor old persecuted Christians.
Or anyone who takes a stand against politically correct tolerance.
For example, the baker in the States (or Canada?) who refused to make a wedding cake for a same sex couple because of his beliefs. That was his right, right? No, he was dragged through the courts for discrimination. He stuck to his guns and eventually won the right to refuse service to the couple.

As a Christian, does Izzy have the right to express his views even though they conflict with that of his employers?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

That’s a pretty extreme example that I think the whole rugby world would be prepared to grant an exemption if it happened!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As a Christian, does Izzy have the right to express his views even though they conflict with that of his employers?

When those personal views are made in a public setting.........

And includes discriminatory comments.........

And those comments are in contrast to the policies set out by his employer...............

And violate the terms of his contract..............

And he's received prior warning............

Then no, he does not have the right.......... or rather, he does but has to face the consequences of his actions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Unlike the Baker, Australians like Izzy don't have the right of freedom of speech
Correcto. I am curious. Here you can usually contract out of a legislative right. I wonder if you can contract out of a constitutional right in the US? i guess probably not.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That’s a pretty extreme example that I think the whole rugby world would be prepared to grant an exemption if it happened!
There would surely be some discretionary power written into the rules for this kind of situation. Theres always a backdoor written in.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s interesting to look at his twitter account. He only follows 43 others - a heap of other players, a few sponsors, the governing bodies and a couple of bible bashing mobs. No random followees whatsoever..

Status
Not open for further replies.