• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So do we really have it that bad here and is Folau's beliefs such a threat?

Yeap we do. Andrew Brennan, a Professional Footballer came out yesterday and provided some pretty insightful words.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...t/news-story/4b1b3859acd5c83e6d1696cd94056829

“There is a bit of stigma within the sport and if people are going through what I went through, (they may think) it’s not okay because of not being accepted.”

“It’s been a big lift off my shoulders and I can just focus on playing football.”

“Since being at Gully especially, it’s always been on my mind that this person doesn’t know or that person does know, what will they think? It’s just a complete mind overload, your mind’s battling yourself. All you want to do is kick a ball about and play.

It highlights how we need to educate Folau and Co that creating a workplace and society that isn't accepting of others isn't acceptable. Hell, I wonder if Folau has compromised one of his teammates from coming out to the team.

S

sidelineview

Illegal abortions, sly grog, SP bookmaking, 6 O'Clock closing, adultery as the only feasible way to get cause for a divorce. Oh, and homosexuality was also illegal. Anybody who looked like a p******** could be bashed on sight. And thrown over a cliff, if one was near.

It can go too far the other way as well.
Thats human nature.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
SLV are you sure you don't just want this to be a bigger or broader issue than it is because you want a point around which conservative/fundamentalist Christians can rally?​

S

sidelineview

Yeah, but, if you actually read the bible and take it at face value it's pretty safe to assume you are kind of stupid. There's all sorts of shit in there that is just insane in a modern context.

Almost no one does this, from the Pope down.

An ill informed opinion. Read the New Testament and work it out yourself.

S

sidelineview

SLV are you sure you don't just want this to be a bigger or broader issue than it is because you want a point around which conservative/fundamentalist Christians can rally?​

No. I genuinely believe its already a big broad social issue and a very important one.
i'm not alone.
We'll see how it turns out and in what direction the momentum of public sentiment goes.

S

sidelineview

For the better?

Don't forget the FFA, CA, NRL, AFL and every other major Australian sporting body...

No, there's no evidence they've done that.

Can you genuinely throw a blanket over it and say our society has changed for the better? Make a list of the social changes and put a tick or cross next to each one.

Other sporting bodies taking a political side doeant make it right. It means dissenting voices get shut down more easily.

Its highly debatable that RA and Qantas have not adopted an inclusive policy but rather an exclusive one and have been intolerant of any dissenting voices.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can you genuinely throw a blanket over it and say our society has changed for the better? Make a list of the social changes and put a tick or cross next to each one.

Other sporting bodies taking a political side doeant make it right. It means dissenting voices get shut down more easily.

Its highly debatable that RA and Qantas have not adopted an inclusive policy but rather an exclusive one and have been intolerant of any dissenting voices.

A group of people who were previously denied the right to get married based on our laws is now allowed to get married. Nothing else has changed.

You're taking the position that a group of the population being denied a right everyone else has should be weighted equally to a group of the population wanting to deny that other group a right.

The right to not be allowed to discriminate (or more realistically, still being allowed to discriminate but being called out for it) isn't equal to the right to not be discriminated against.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Potentially telling development:

"...Folau could be resigned to losing his A$4 million deal with Rugby Australia after electing to remove pictures of himself in Waratahs gear from his Instagram and Twitter accounts. He has replaced them with religious images.

"The main profile picture on both accounts is now an image of a number '1'. It is made up of the word 'god' repeated many times.

"Within the number '1' the words 'God First' are fitted into the image."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...y-star-israel-folau-hints-at-possible-sacking

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Absolutely 100%.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A group of people who were previously denied the right to get married based on our laws is now allowed to get married. Nothing else has changed.

You're taking the position that a group of the population being denied a right everyone else has should be weighted equally to a group of the population wanting to deny that other group a right.

The right to not be allowed to discriminate (or more realistically, still being allowed to discriminate but being called out for it) isn't equal to the right to not be discriminated against.

To be absolutely correct, people within that group you refer to were never denied the right to get married.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

It’s intolerant for Qantas to have an inclusive policy regarding gays,because they ignore the intolerance that is being preached by those dissenting voices?

Seriously.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be absolutely correct, people within that group you refer to were never denied the right to get married.

Ahh yes, gay people weren't denied the right to marry, they just had to marry someone of the opposite sex.

I don't think that really helps your argument.

That's right up there with saying that some Christian groups don't have a problem with homosexuals, they only have an issue when they do homosexual things.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s intolerant for Qantas to have an inclusive policy regarding gays,because they ignore the intolerance that is being preached by those dissenting voices?

Seriously...
It actually is, in a way, intolerance if you refuse to allow people to be intolerant. It's called the paradox of tolerance, the philosopher Karl Popper discussed it.

"The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant."

Basically just means that you shouldn't be tolerant of people who are trying to be intolerant. i.e. Christians who rag on LGBTQI people.

We should tolerate LGBTQI people because they aren't trying to rag on Christians. They just wanna be free to bang each other without persecution, which seems fine to me.

It all gets a bit complicated, but it makes enough sense. It came up a lot in the analysis of the Nazis following WW2.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They were free to marry Derpus, as long as it was a member of the opposite gender.

But we're getting well off track here.

Maybe some people need to take a day off this thread, and maybe return when there has been new information on this case?

I feel like we've been going round in circles for the last 45 pages or so.
That would involve doing work, which sounds awful.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Supposedly he's fallen in with this bloke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Tamaki

But i don't really know how much truth there is in it.

Destiny is a right proper cult in the vein of the hateful American baptist churches. Self-appointed Bishop Archbishop (lol) Tamaki's mob lacks the guns and balls of their American counterparts, so he mostly just sits around scamming (mostly poor) people and sh*tposting on Twitter.

Plus the esteemed self-appointed Bishop Archbishop-and-no-doubt-soon-to-be-self-appointed-pope looks like a Geordie Shore extra. Though he lacks the charm.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Can someone shut this fucking thing down now until there's a sanction. It's now just degenerated fully into a left v right thread, we'll have that debate properly on Saturday, and has lost all relevance to rugby.

Even when there's a sanction can we start a new one and call it the 'Wallabies after Folau' or 'Folau Returns' thread or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.