• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As I not on twitter or anything so haven't followed Izzy or anyone, can someone who follows him answer a question? How often does he post religious stuff often? not sure if it true, but Marto was saying on radio yesterday that this was his first post since last one that caused grief. If so he has done it on purpose to cause shit, if he posts regularly on religious shit, he just stupid for not being more careful, but if this indeed the only posts he does he up to something!
Anyway while watching tv was interested ti hear Drew Mitchell who seems to be pretty tight with Tahs players, seeming to say they pissed with him because they seem to have to be answering questions about it. Anyway if even NRL are saying they won't touch him, if RA don't go through with threat , they going to do some damage to their brand!

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Marto is (as usual?) wrong. There have been please try of religious posts of Instagram and a couple on twitter in the last 6 months. First time he's touched on same-sex and or gender issues though, and to do both on the same day on seperate platforms?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
People can speak their looney ideas, it's when those looney ideas target another group or 'discriminate' against another group that it begins to become an issue, especially when it's against a minority group still fighting to release itself from long term discrimination.

People can speak their looney ideas, but it doesn't mean other people have to listen, agree or conform to those ideas, not does it prevent people from responding with their own ideas.

People can speak their looney ideas under freedom of speech, but freedom of speech doesn't means freedom from consequences.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He's quoting the Bible.

Although he isn't actually quoting the Bible at all. He (or somebody who has taught him this stuff), has placed their own meaning on a whole book of the Bible and reduced it to a few simplistic (and incorrect) lines.

The context of the Book of Jeremiah (upon which Folau and his sect seem to rely) is that after their escape from Egypt the Israelites (or some of them) have begun worshipping Baal. Their leaders and many of the people aren't following the Jewish faith and are threatend with punishment if they don't change.

Homosexuals aren't mentioned or even alluded to at all, nor are Christmas trees or some of the other things which Folau has said.

For example
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+8&version=GNT

The Lord told me to say to his people, “When someone falls down, doesn't he get back up? If someone misses the road, doesn't he turn back? 5 Why then, my people, do you turn away from me without ever turning back? You cling to your idols and refuse to return to me. 6 I listened carefully, but you did not speak the truth. Not one of you has been sorry for your wickedness; not one of you has asked, ‘What have I done wrong?’ Each of you keep on going your own way, like a horse rushing into battle. 7 Even storks know when it is time to return; doves, swallows, and thrushes know when it is time to migrate. But, my people, you do not know the laws by which I rule you. 8 How can you say that you are wise and that you know my laws? Look, the laws have been changed by dishonest scribes. 9 Your wise men are put to shame; they are confused and trapped. They have rejected my words; what wisdom do they have now?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
People can speak their looney ideas, it's when those looney ideas target another group or 'discriminate' against another group that it begins to become an issue, especially when it's against a minority group still fighting to release itself from long term discrimination.

People can speak their looney ideas, but it doesn't mean other people have to listen, agree or conform to those ideas, not does it prevent people from responding with their own ideas.

People can speak their looney ideas under freedom of speech, but freedom of speech doesn't means freedom from consequences.

Although, he didn't in this instance target any particular group, he targeted just about everybody (including homosexuals)

Among the others he condemned to eternal damnation include; drinkers, catholics, people who have Christmas trees, atheists, adulterers etc, etc, etc,.

He's seriously misguided and doesn't really understand what he's saying.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I really don't want to get into the whole religion thing here.

So looking at it from an employer POV, this is what it looks like when you open his Instagram page. Big shot of him in his Tahs jersey next to his most recent post.

It will be hard for him to do the contrite, I'm sorry thing as both posts are still up.

He has over 100K followers on Twitter and over 300K on Insta so he knew the reach of his posts.

Capture.JPG

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
- he has to have complete separation of his sporting career and his religious beliefs on social media while he is under contract
Good idea, but it will fail.

Imagine if he had a separate account and had a post that read "The views expressed in this post in no way reflect the views of Rugby Union- [insert atrocious comment about homosexuals going to hell and deserving death penalty etc]

Would the outrage be any less because it is a personal account as suggested.

S

sidelineview

Good idea, but it will fail.

Imagine if he had a separate account and had a post that read "The views expressed in this post in no way reflect the views of Rugby Union- [insert atrocious comment about homosexuals going to hell and deserving death penalty etc]

Would the outrage be any less because it is a personal account as suggested.

Deserving the death penalty? where did that come from?

S

sidelineview

It's a common theme running through the Bible to which he refers. Repent and be forgiven and saved. It's the evangelists mantra. His lack of subtlety in delivering his message leaves a lot to be desired; not all Christians would communicate in this manner, but still ...

For example: 1 Corinthians 6-12. New Testament
Or do you not know that the unrighteous2 will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: xneither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,3 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And ysuch were some of you. But zyou were washed, ayou were sanctified, byou were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

So yes, he was referring directly to the Bible.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's a common theme running through the Bible to which he refers. Repent and be forgiven and saved. It's the evangelists mantra. His lack of subtlety in delivering his message leaves a lot to be desired; not all Christians would communicate in this manner, but still .

For example: 1 Corinthians 6-12. New Testament
Or do you not know that the unrighteous2 will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: xneither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,3 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And ysuch were some of you. But zyou were washed, ayou were sanctified, byou were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

So yes, he was referring directly to the Bible.

You said in your post "quoting" which he wasn't.

And yes, the mainstream Christian message is most certainly repent and you will be forgiven and saved. That has never been the question.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is it true that Izzy is performing "baptisms" in his own backyard? What next? Domestic circumcisions?

S

sidelineview

You said in your post "quoting" which he wasn't.

And yes, the mainstream Christian message is most certainly repent and you will be forgiven and saved. That has never been the question.

Let's not go the road of semantics to win an argument.
The fact is he's quoted, paraphrased or referred to the Bible.
I don't agree with the way he worded it and delivered the message but still ... it's from the Bible to which Christians subscribe.

S

sidelineview

Is it true that Izzy is performing "baptisms" in his own backyard? What next? Domestic circumcisions?

If he's an ordained Minister of his church then he can perform baptisms wherever is appropriate.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You can prove just about anything with a quote from the bible. So what?

BTW, in case you have missed it, Jews, and Muslims also subscribe to the bible. Not all of it, but certainly the Old Testament, which is where most of the blood and guts stuff (and all the myths, legends, and poetry) can be found.

The overwhelming tenor of the New Testament, (much of which Muslims are comfortable with) is one of love and acceptance. Love your neighbour. Threatening stuff like that.

S

sidelineview

BTW, in case you have missed it, Jews, and Muslims also subscribe to the bible. Not all of it, but certainly the Old Testament, which is where most of the blood and guts stuff (and all the myths, legends, and poetry) can be found.

The overwhelming tenor of the New Testament, (much of which Muslims are comfortable with) is one of love and acceptance. Love your neighbour. Threatening stuff like that.

You need to prepare your replies more thoroughly.
You cant prove just about anything through a quote from the Bible.
To infer Islam is comfortable with the New Testament or Christianity in general is false.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Thank you Wamberal. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
While I was a fan of folau for his rugby prowess, I am not a fan of how much damage his latest social media post has done and has to go and want him gone.

Unfortunately this is set to drag out which I doubt Folau is fighting to stay but rather fighting to appear to want to stay to get a bigger payout.

For me this is a simple breach of an employment contract and just has to be shown the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.