• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would add Simon Cron to the Australian list and Simon Raiwalui to the International List (although strong Aus roots)
What has Simon Cron actually done in the way of coaching that would se him in consideration at this time for the Wallabies job? Certainly didn't show any thing special with the Force last year. And splitting hairs, but is he Australian. I seem to recall he came over from NZ - not that that matters but I question only why he would be on the Australian list?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What has Simon Cron actually done in the way of coaching that would se him in consideration at this time for the Wallabies job? Certainly didn't show any thing special with the Force last year. And splitting hairs, but is he Australian. I seem to recall he came over from NZ - not that that matters but I question only why he would be on the Australian list?
It's because we have no professional coaching pathways and that has resulted in, shock, no professional coaches. So we throw anyone who kinda sorta looks like one up as an option.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You'd probably have to kidnap the bloke. He's reportedly not even slightly interested in being an elite coach again. That said, with a new generation of players and not the ones he had to coach last time you never know. But seriously, I doubt it.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Would add Simon Cron to the Australian list and Simon Raiwalui to the International List (although strong Aus roots)
we Need a top notch high performance director too. Nucifora obviously the first name but I think hansen would also be excellent. Lost him up in Sydney with a few caseloads of grange and I reckon he’d be happy. 18 months to review and outline what needs to be done. He could go and coach Fiji for 2027 World Cup after that.

Rassie also has done this before with SA.

agree I think thorn could be a great u20 coach.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
All we can say is thank god for that, he wanted to stay a week ago so obvious the board said go or be sacked so he left
- 2/9 record (22%) worst wallabies Coach
- 0/7 tier 1 nations - record since 1995
- 30 points conceded per game (worst ever)
- 6 captains in 9 tests
- last place in rugby champs (1st time ever)
- largest loss to SA since 2008

and then the RWC
- 1st wallabies team to never get to the finals
- 1st loss to Fiji
- largest loss to wales
- 2 massive wins against powerhouse rugby nations Portugal and Georgia
- worst ranking of 10th in the world

wow he certainly set some records, only thing all ones you don’t want! Was there actually anything good he achieved? Only had to look at the 2 sides in the final who were the most (Experienced) sides in the RWC
It’s actually laughable how far backwards he took the side
I would also add that yes he picked a young squad for the cup but even in the pre cup games when he had experience in the squad - what was the game plan? I just couldn’t piece it together at all and am probably of the mind he’s passed it. If that was a semblance of the “Australian way” we don’t want it!
His possession rugby is dead line I think got pretty disproved at the World Cup in a lot of those games barring sa v england.
I won’t say what a cluster and we should’ve kept rennie….

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I say, I hope for rugby's sake there is finally some sense somehwhere in RA after this shitfest. When Rennies was fired and Eddie taken on I kept reading on rugby sites and press from Aus (including a fair few in here) it was great, Eddie had arrived and was getting rugby in the papers and everyone talking. I am assuming it still in papers, and probably the NRL press etc will be having a ball , and rugby maybe in press, but maybe not as anyone wants! Especially Eddie reminding everyone that RA couldn't get PE money as they said etc, if that is good press for the game well f*** me. And then Hamish motormouth coming out saying we will still be good because we goy money from Lions and WC coming is all starting to sound like someone who is making sure he is not held to account!
God help me I hope there is a careful and considered approach to whoever else gets looked at for the job, and if they play guitar and sing kumbaya or anything, but are prepared to stick around and be loyal to team, just get everyone behind the man whoever he is! RA doesn't need anymore headline grabbing coaches (or f***en chairmen for that matter) just good people who want to put the game/team ahead of their own egos!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Cron is being rated on potential over performance at this stage.

In reality he's won less than Coleman. Cron got his start by getting Norths a Shute Shield title. I think he is a good coach and in 15 years it will show. I wish he had of got the NSW job when they gave it to Gibson and we may be speaking differently about him.

Our coaching pathways are as busted and limited as the players.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Cron is being rated on potential over performance at this stage.

In reality he's won less than Coleman. Cron got his start by getting Norths a Shute Shield title. I think he is a good coach and in 15 years it will show. I wish he had of got the NSW job when they gave it to Gibson and we may be speaking differently about him.

Our coaching pathways are as busted and limited as the players.

I am coming to the conclusion that a good coach is born with the right attributes. Obviously practical experience and achievements are important.

Cron showed a lot of creativity, and very good man management skills with Norths. These qualities are vitally important. I wonder how many of the purported candidates have them?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Press sounding like its
Cheika
Foster
Larkham
Mckellar

Andy friend being touted for high performance in a couple places.

Cheika clearly a good coach but Argentina was not firing at all this tournament so a hard time thinking he’s the man. They were great under ladesma with him as assistant but have gone a little backwards for whatever reason.

foster - I don’t like him that much but he’s clearly a good coach.

Mckellar probably better choice now than larkham.

I think Hamish is a bombastic idiot but we need to get reform done and it may be that we need him to be here for the next 12-18 to get the bulk of that done tho he is chairman and I’d like to see him STFU and let CEO run things

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I am coming to the conclusion that a good coach is born with the right attributes. Obviously practical experience and achievements are important.

Cron showed a lot of creativity, and very good man management skills with Norths. These qualities are vitally important. I wonder how many of the purported candidates have them?
Absolutely. You're after a behavioural mentor over a pure Xs & Os guy at this level IMO. The fact our fundamentals are behind others reflects more on the coaching the players are getting on their way to the international level.

I'd be putting odds at
$1.25 Mckellar
$1.60 Chieka
$2 Larkham
$3.50 Other

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Genuinely, why would we go back to Cheika? It screams quick fix that gets us absolutely nowhere in the longer term.

It would be revisionist to suggest the last few seasons of Cheika's tenure were anything but lacklustre. We've seen what he can do - with what was probably a stronger playing group - and it wasn't enough.

At the risk of blowing smoke up Eddie's arse, I truly hope his tenure has been the catalyst for change. He's blown the place up, but we need to ensure we rebuild smartly - we need fresh faces, fresh ideas, and genuine top-down alignment - not the same old shit that gets us back to a sometimes successful but ultimately disappointing team.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Genuinely, why would we go back to Cheika? It screams quick fix that gets us absolutely nowhere in the longer term.

It would be revisionist to suggest the last few seasons of Cheika's tenure were anything but lacklustre. We've seen what he can do - with what was probably a stronger playing group - and it wasn't enough.

At the risk of blowing smoke up Eddie's arse, I truly hope his tenure has been the catalyst for change. He's blown the place up, but we need to ensure we rebuild smartly - we need fresh faces, fresh ideas, and genuine top-down alignment - not the same old shit that gets us back to a sometimes successful but ultimately disappointing team.
While this is true, but there is a reasonable chance he has improved as a coach since then

I certainly wouldn't have him as the top pick, but he's clearly a good coach that has had success all over the world

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
While this is true, but there is a reasonable chance he has improved as a coach since then

I certainly wouldn't have him as the top pick, but he's clearly a good coach that has had success all over the world
Yeah, don't get me wrong, this is no sleight against Cheika - and we could certainly do a lot worse - however it feels to me like it would be a missed opportunity.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It will be interesting now that the RWC is done if Cheika opens his mouth at all about the courtship from the Reds. I've heard he was a clear 1st place to get their HC role but simply didn't have the time/interest to properly interview whilst the Argies prepared for the RWC and so the role was given to Kiss. By all accounts Kiss has been going great in very early days.

I feel like Cheika might be over the politics side of things with rugby in Australia. And it sounds like he's got a few offers on the table to coach NRL teams.