• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Crazy conspiratorial theory:

- Everyone is amazed he turfed Hooper and Cooper and has repeatedly referenced their character
- Private confidant he refers to a lot could be Link
- Random poster on here said Hooper was part of the whole McKenzie/Beale affair
- Has Link finally got his revenge by telling EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) to boot them?
From what Quade says about McKenzie I'd be shocked if their relationship was in a poor place. He is a deity to Quade and was the only coach to convince him to play a style for like 7 years until Rennie.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Crazy conspiratorial theory:

- Everyone is amazed he turfed Hooper and Cooper and has repeatedly referenced their character
- Private confidant he refers to a lot could be Link
- Random poster on here said Hooper was part of the whole McKenzie/Beale affair
- Has Link finally got his revenge by telling EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) to boot them?

I can get behind this. Full Logan Roy vendictiveness as well.

Hooper was the intended recipient of the infamous pig gif wasn't he?

But Link liked Quade so hard to say why he would tell Eddie not to take Quade n

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cron is being rated on potential over performance at this stage.

In reality he's won less than Coleman. Cron got his start by getting Norths a Shute Shield title. I think he is a good coach and in 15 years it will show. I wish he had of got the NSW job when they gave it to Gibson and we may be speaking differently about him.

Our coaching pathways are as busted and limited as the players.
Ghost, I've no idea about his age as Wiki has nothing but if he's in his mid forties then if you're correct he'll be sixty before he can coach an international team.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some people called for his knighthood to be be removed haha he’s not coming here

in general I’m weary of AB coaches that haven’t really been successful anywhere else. The talent NZ have to pick from has been so good
And their attitude to training, team support and approach to winning.

Pone's Mullet

Ron Walden (29)
If they can convince him, Joe Schmidt is the perfect candidate - Ireland's success now has a direct link to his time in charge and it's no coincidence the ABs uptick in form happened after he arrived.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Ghost, I've no idea about his age as Wiki has nothing but if he's in his mid forties then if you're correct he'll be sixty before he can coach an international team.
That’s not what I’m saying. I think he will coach internationally and in 15 years we’ll see what he has achieved.

I just think he falls at an awkward stage for us right now as not experienced enough for the job but he could get another in a couple of years.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rassie Erasmus was 44 when appointed to HC of SA. Sometimes I feel we have a focus on older coaches that have been out of the game a bit long.

Bernie is currently 49. How'd he go in Munster?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Rassie Erasmus was 44 when appointed to HC of SA. Sometimes I feel we have a focus on older coaches that have been out of the game a bit long.

Bernie is currently 49. How'd he go in Munster?
Yeah age doesn't matter so much, but professional experience does. Rassie has been a professional coach since 2004

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
From what Quade says about McKenzie I'd be shocked if their relationship was in a poor place. He is a deity to Quade and was the only coach to convince him to play a style for like 7 years until Rennie.
Yes, very bizarre comment unless Dctarget is found to have the memory of a goldfish.. since it's widely documented that Cooper along with Genia, Leali'ifano, Moore, Tomane, alongside many others, all backed McKenzie during the Beale saga...

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yes very bizarre comment unless Dctarget is found to have the memory of a goldfish.. since it's widely documented that Cooper along with Genia, Leali'ifano, Moore, Tomane, among many others, all backed McKenzie during the Beale saga...
TBF this was 10 years ago, so pretty impressive gold fish. I've actually always been amazed at your impressive memory for the most niche, irrelevant facts from a decade ago.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Farrell had been coaching for 9 years.. King Link had 8 years before HC in his 40s. Borthwick 11 years etc etc.
Yes, but all had really top level roles to cut their teeth. I like Cron but his resume is pretty weak right now

Farrell was involved with Saracens, England, The Lions & Ireland as an assistant before he got the Ireland job. Link was involved with the Wallabies and Brumbies as an assistant before coaching the Waratahs, Stade Francais & the Reds before he got the Wallabies gig

It's why the more I think about it the more I want McKellar to stay in England and grow as a coach

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Cheika is a change merchant. An impact player - he can CLEARLY turn a team around.

So 2 years is great - 4 not so much. Give the next guy a 2 year deal to B&I tour and then review again.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Honestly the thought of Cheika gives me a conniption. The only coach in the world who can match Eddie in the petulance stakes. Has already been the Wallabies coach and it wasn't very good.

Why hire a guy for two years when its a four year job. Surely we'd be better off assessing the massive pool of coaches worldwide than limiting ourselves to former Brumbies or Wallabies coaches. Seem quite bizarre parameters to set to me.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Honestly the thought of Cheika gives me a conniption. The only coach in the world who can match Eddie in the petulance stakes. Has already been the Wallabies coach and it wasn't very good.

Why hire a guy for two years when its a four year job. Surely we'd be better off assessing the massive pool of coaches worldwide than limiting ourselves to former Brumbies or Wallabies coaches. Seem quite bizarre parameters to set to me.
It was good. It was the best wed been since the 2000s really.

But it was less good once his impact waned. I guess you can only get motivated by a grown man yelling at you so many times.

He shouldn't have been given the 2019 world cup, but it was understandable in the context of the team Raelene was trying to build for 2023 and the contract issues by the end.

Would be a very RA move to reappoint him now. When its the exact opposite of what we need.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Myes... let's look at the parallels:

- Randwick
- never played Test Rugby
- erratic
- says "mate" a lot, even to people who are clearly NOT their mate
- had the gig before....

1698712098133.png