• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Press sounding like its
Cheika
Foster
Larkham
Mckellar

Andy friend being touted for high performance in a couple places.

Cheika clearly a good coach but Argentina was not firing at all this tournament so a hard time thinking he’s the man. They were great under ladesma with him as assistant but have gone a little backwards for whatever reason.

foster - I don’t like him that much but he’s clearly a good coach.

Mckellar probably better choice now than larkham.

I think Hamish is a bombastic idiot but we need to get reform done and it may be that we need him to be here for the next 12-18 to get the bulk of that done tho he is chairman and I’d like to see him STFU and let CEO run things
Cheika is a short term man motivator. Argentina excelled with a little Cheika fire up their arse and exceeded expectations for a while.

But it never lasts. Cheika is a farcry from what this Wallaby team needs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It will be interesting now that the RWC is done if Cheika opens his mouth at all about the courtship from the Reds. I've heard he was a clear 1st place to get their HC role but simply didn't have the time/interest to properly interview whilst the Argies prepared for the RWC and so the role was given to Kiss. By all accounts Kiss has been going great in very early days.

I feel like Cheika might be over the politics side of things with rugby in Australia. And it sounds like he's got a few offers on the table to coach NRL teams.
Wish we had a coach that was intrested in preparing a side for the WC exclusively.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RA have confirmed

Rugby Australia can confirm that it has accepted the resignation of Wallabies head coach Eddie Jones, and he will depart the position on 25 November 2023.

Rugby Australia thanks Eddie for his commitment to the Wallabies in 2023, and wishes him the best in his future endeavours.

Announcements regarding the future of the Wallabies coaching staff will be made in due course.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Crazy conspiratorial theory:

- Everyone is amazed he turfed Hooper and Cooper and has repeatedly referenced their character
- Private confidant he refers to a lot could be Link
- Random poster on here said Hooper was part of the whole McKenzie/Beale affair
- Has Link finally got his revenge by telling EJ (Eddie Jones) to boot them?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Cheika is a short term man motivator. Argentina excelled with a little Cheika fire up their arse and exceeded expectations for a while.

Id be inclined to agree and I have a hard time seeing RA go back to him.
Would be great to get him at a super club or u20s

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Super maybe but U20s I don't see unless he wants it because he will have offers.

He's a big time coach
Leinster - Won the Heineken Cup
Stade Francais
Waratahs - Won Super Rugby
Australia
Argentina

He did the DoR thing in Japan right for a Club?

He seems to want to be a coach though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What was Steve Hansen's official title with the Wallabies? Advisor?

Wonder what kind of interest he would have with a Director type role. I know it was seen as a bit of a bastard move by some in NZ. Does he still have anything to do with the Bulldogs? I reckon Phil Gould would have zero interest in him.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

I agree with the sentiment, but I feel Cheika is a smarter tactician than he is given credit for

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

Wonder what kind of interest he would have with a Director type role. I know it was seen as a bit of a bastard move by some in NZ. Does he still have anything to do with the Bulldogs? I reckon Phil Gould would have zero interest in him.
Some people called for his knighthood to be be removed haha he’s not coming here

in general I’m weary of AB coaches that haven’t really been successful anywhere else. The talent NZ have to pick from has been so good

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)

It would be a huge admission of failure for us to appoint a Kiwi as Director of Rugby. The gutter press would have a field day.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It would be a huge admission of failure for us to appoint a Kiwi as Director of Rugby. The gutter press would have a field day.
we've had Rennie, Deans and Castle. I think we're used to it.

Also.. I would've thought 2023 was a bigger admission failure.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I honestly can't see any universe where Steve Hansen would accept an ongoing role in Australian Rugby.
What about Hans Stevesen?

hs.jpg