• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Myes... let's look at the parallels:

- Randwick
- never played Test Rugby
- erratic
- says "mate" a lot, even to people who are clearly NOT their mate
- had the gig before....

Chubby has used his bag of tricks up. He was good for the Tahs at the time, got them fit for one thing. Let's not go around this merry-go-round again, please. Let's get a coach with a new bag of tricks.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Putting aside literally everything else about that particular game, I have a thought experiment

Bernard Foley misses the final kick against Scotland in the '15 Quarter final, who had played some thoroughly average Rugby, losing comfortably to RSA, scraping a win over Samoa and getting Japan on the short break.

Is Chieka still seen as a net positive for the WOBs?

His consequential final record against T1s would read something like:

Argentina: 7-1
England: 1-8
France: 1-1-0
Ireland: 1-4-0
Italy: 2-0-0
NZ: 3-10-0
Scotland: 1-3-0
RSA: 3-3-2
Wales: 4-2

for a total of: 23-32-2, a win% of under 42%

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Or if Joubert just hadn't made the openly wrong call lol. I'd contend that up until this year Cheika was the worst performing coach we'd had since going professional, especially when cattle he was working with are taken into account. Closely followed by dull dave.

Luckily for them Eddie bottomed out so hard it seems like plenty of rose tinted glasses are being applied to their tenures at the moment.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Putting aside literally everything else about that particular game, I have a thought experiment

Bernard Foley misses the final kick against Scotland in the '15 Quarter final, who had played some thoroughly average Rugby, losing comfortably to RSA, scraping a win over Samoa and getting Japan on the short break.

I mean, surely not. His reign outside that world cup run was terrible.

But it was a good world cup run and Foley did slot that last minute penalty. Just as he did against the Crusaders (also helping to pad out Cheika's reign).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Or if Joubert just hadn't made the openly wrong call lol. I'd contend that up until this year Cheika was the worst performing coach we'd had since going professional, especially when cattle he was working with are taken into account.
People put undue weight on that one decision (which was wrong) because of when it happened. But refs make hundreds of mistakes across the entirety of a world cup campaign in our favour and against. On balance it was still a very good run.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Or if Joubert just hadn't made the openly wrong call lol. I'd contend that up until this year Cheika was the worst performing coach we'd had since going professional, especially when cattle he was working with are taken into account. Closely followed by dull dave.

Luckily for them Eddie bottomed out so hard it seems like plenty of rose tinted glasses are being applied to their tenures at the moment.

As a Scotland fan first it's not reasonable for that to the the starting point of any WOBS related issue. :p

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Myes... let's look at the parallels:

- Randwick
- never played Test Rugby
- erratic
- says "mate" a lot, even to people who are clearly NOT their mate
- had the gig before....

View attachment 17836
1698714083656.png

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
People put undue weight on that one decision (which was wrong) because of when it happened. But refs make hundreds of mistakes across the entirety of a world cup campaign in our favour and against. On balance it was still a very good run.
No doubt it was a very good run Derpus. But equally it would never be seen that way were it not for such a tiny margin. Such is sport and a coaches lot.

Think we are in agreement about how we see Cheika anyway.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

And you take away the 6 wins at the 2015 RWC and his percentage is below 40.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

I was led to believe at 38% was “making positive gains” so 42% would surely be great?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hard to track which 'Aussie' coaches are around - heres a bit of a list to consider - not suggesting they will be available/interested.

Billy Millard – Director Rugby Performance - Harlequins

Jake White – Director of Rugby – Bulls (SAF)

Pete Wilkins – Head Coach – Connacht

Dan McKellar – Head Coach – Leicester

Peter Hewat – Head Coach – Black Rams Tokyo

Robbie Deans - Head Coach – Saitama Wild Knights

Scott Fardy – Defence Coach – Connacht

Michael Todd - Defence Coach -Edinburgh

Julian Salvi – Breakdown Coach – Benetton

Dan Palmer - Scrum Coach - Leicester

James Kent – Skills Consultant – Stade Français

Ruaidrhri Murphy – something - Black Rams Tokyo

Matt Tyalor – something (defence I assume) - Black Rams Tokyo

Matt Lucas – something - Black Rams Tokyo

Ollie Richardson – Head of Physical Performance – Leicester

John Pryor – S&C Advisor - Suntory

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Hard to track which 'Aussie' coaches are around - heres a bit of a list to consider - not suggesting they will be available/interested.

Billy Millard – Director Rugby Performance - Harlequins

Jake White – Director of Rugby – Bulls (SAF)

Pete Wilkins – Head Coach – Connacht

Dan McKellar – Head Coach – Leicester

Peter Hewat – Head Coach – Black Rams Tokyo

Robbie Deans - Head Coach – Saitama Wild Knights

Scott Fardy – Defence Coach – Connacht

Michael Todd - Defence Coach -Edinburgh

Julian Salvi – Breakdown Coach – Benetton

Dan Palmer - Scrum Coach - Leicester

James Kent – Skills Consultant – Stade Français

Ruaidrhri Murphy – something - Black Rams Tokyo

Matt Tyalor – something (defence I assume) - Black Rams Tokyo

Matt Lucas – something - Black Rams Tokyo

Ollie Richardson – Head of Physical Performance – Leicester

John Pryor – S&C Advisor - Suntory
To see the drain of talent listed out like that is pretty confronting - especially considering it's not a 100% extensive list

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
We cannot keep doing what we have been doing and expect different results, therefore we need to accept:

1) Due to lack of planning, systems, and twenty plus years of issues there is no Australian coach ready to take on the job whether we like it or not or whether it is palatable with the players, supporters and the RA mafia or not.

2) We need to get in our heads that their is no "Australian style of play" it is made up spin. I have yet to see at lower levels players and / or even overseas teams being told to play the "Australian style of play".

Watching the world cup our players lack the same skill set, physicality and rugby IQ that the top five or six rugby nations have so we need a coach for the long haul that will start building, and the goal has to be to make small incremental measurable improvements each match / year. We cannot expect to be world beaters in a few months.

The coach also needs to tell it like it is to the supporters/media and not the marketing spin we have been fed for decades.

We need to improve our reality and set lower expectations.

I believe that the next coach needs to be either South African or a New Zealander as rugby IQ is part of their DNA