• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Or if Joubert just hadn't made the openly wrong call lol. I'd contend that up until this year Cheika was the worst performing coach we'd had since going professional, especially when cattle he was working with are taken into account. Closely followed by dull dave.

Luckily for them Eddie bottomed out so hard it seems like plenty of rose tinted glasses are being applied to their tenures at the moment.
What point are you making? Robbie got even more lucky with Bryce gifting him a Quarter Final win back in 2011.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Hard to track which 'Aussie' coaches are around - heres a bit of a list to consider - not suggesting they will be available/interested.

Billy Millard – Director Rugby Performance - Harlequins

Jake White – Director of Rugby – Bulls (SAF)

Pete Wilkins – Head Coach – Connacht

Dan McKellar – Head Coach – Leicester

Peter Hewat – Head Coach – Black Rams Tokyo

Robbie Deans - Head Coach – Saitama Wild Knights

Scott Fardy – Defence Coach – Connacht

Michael Todd - Defence Coach -Edinburgh

Julian Salvi – Breakdown Coach – Benetton

Dan Palmer - Scrum Coach - Leicester

James Kent – Skills Consultant – Stade Français

Ruaidrhri Murphy – something - Black Rams Tokyo

Matt Tyalor – something (defence I assume) - Black Rams Tokyo

Matt Lucas – something - Black Rams Tokyo

Ollie Richardson – Head of Physical Performance – Leicester

John Pryor – S&C Advisor - Suntory
I don't think Matt Giteau would ever appreciate Robbie being labelled an 'Aussie'...

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Andrew Blades was the DoR at Joeys in Sydney for a time.
Cameron Blades HC at Knox
Brian Smith was HC at Scots and now DoR. Has plenty of coaching experience around the world.
Tim Rapp HC Newington

I think these guys are pretty comfortable in their positions though. A guy like A.Blades could be a set piece coach...

I know these schools have deep pockets - but if the drain on players continues and there is a lack of success coming from the top to inspire the young blokes to become Wallabies, maybe some of these guys who are actually worth a crack will need to be pushed to give up the comfort package and do the hard yards.

I don't know enough about the names you've mentioned and their coaching credentials, but I know there is some good rugby IP currently tied up in Brisbane club land who might need a push in the right direction that even though their little pocket seems okay, the game needs those top tier teams to be successful in order to keep attracting young talent.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I know these schools have deep pockets - but if the drain on players continues and there is a lack of success coming from the top to inspire the young blokes to become Wallabies, maybe some of these guys who are actually worth a crack will need to be pushed to give up the comfort package and do the hard yards.

I don't know enough about the names you've mentioned and their coaching credentials, but I know there is some good rugby IP currently tied up in Brisbane club land who might need a push in the right direction that even though their little pocket seems okay, the game needs those top tier teams to be successful in order to keep attracting young talent.
Well even there listed is 3 Wallabies and a Waratah who clearly have an interest in coaching and administration but no involvement higher.

A. Blades and Rapp have been GM at the Tahs tbf. Lots of other floating around who would have skills & knowledge that should be tapped.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well even there listed is 3 Wallabies and a Waratah who clearly have an interest in coaching and administration but no involvement higher.

A. Blades and Rapp have been GM at the Tahs tbf. Lots of other floating around who would have skills & knowledge that should be tapped.

Bladesy is off running a BnB he said at a rugby lunch I attended earlier in the year.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Realistically it’s probably down to
Larkham
Mckellar
Cheika
I’m going to keep Lancaster in and assume he has an international out in contract.
Ronan ogara - first international gig a major turnaround? Don’t see it really.

rassie (could never afford him) but he is the best candidate
Foster - wouldn’t hate it but can’t see RA doing that backflip
Hansen - no chance and couldn’t afford
Crowley - was great with Canada and did well with Italy bar cup results but next gig is probably like USA or something I’d think.
Deans - won’t happen but I am a big fan.
Jake White - I know he got results but my god was his style of play unattractive……

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do we get the impression that part of the agreement with Eddie going is that there will be no negative stuff about him, from what I read of Waugh's staement, he was quite measured (not a critucism) about what he said. Personally I think he must be tempted to say he strung us along etc.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Do we get the impression that part of the agreement with Eddie going is that there will be no negative stuff about him, from what I read of Waugh's staement, he was quite measured (not a critucism) about what he said. Personally I think he must be tempted to say he strung us along etc.
It's not good practice for anyone to publicly bag a former employee on their way out the door

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
It's not good practice for anyone to publicly bag a former employee on their way out the door
It would look poor if they did.
I do wonder if they’ve talked to players and gotten negative feedback which resulted in a pretty quick turnaround from “I’m committed” to “I’m out and I have it a go (lol)”

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eddie sticking with Donaldson.
IMG_4444.jpeg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
that's a great baabaas squad. Awkward for Hoops and the Wallabies boys. Wonder if they're more understanding than us. Would love to hear their opinion.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
that's a great baabaas squad. Awkward for Hoops and the Wallabies boys. Wonder if they're more understanding than us. Would love to hear their opinion.
I think Hooper is likely to be more understanding having separation than the guys that were at the WC and had to put up with him and his vision to see him walk away.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Next coach needs to be from top 3 nations ie: NZ, Ireland, SA. Rassie, Foster, Deans,Farrell etc. Fresh ideas and hopefully get the skills and fitness levels high. Young Aussie coaches as assistants ie Larkham, Hoilles.
Lets not go back to Cheika. He is ok but need new ways. This is going to be a slow build up but hopefully the correct one to the BL and WC.
Can't afford to get it wrong again. Could be Rugby's last chance !