• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think at the end of the day he had great success with us up til 2003 final and down hill fast after that.
Japan - he beat South Africa. A huge upset but not much else tho don’t take away from that. SA were complete shambles that year admittedly but it would be like us losing to Tonga right now or something.
England. He had them firing into the 2019 final and then disaster.
I don’t really count South Africa as he was an assistant coach and really an advisor of sorts.

to me it’s kind of a mixed record.
Good with wallabies until it was an absolute disaster.
South Africa a wash for me
Japan - yes a great great game
England 2 years solid and then a disaster
Australia a complete disaster
Success with Brumbies. Absolute disaster with qld.
Like that doesn’t scream “WE MUST HIRE HIM” to me. You’d think, he is a coin toss and we need certainty.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon I could have inherited that same Brumbies and then Wallabies from McQueen with that standard of player, strategies, winning culture and had a similar record. And I’ve never coached. Kidding, of course.
But seriously, how could rugby Australia have looked at the maniac arguing with fans at the SCG and thought he was a good fit????

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I think at the end of the day he had great success with us up til 2003 final and down hill fast after that.
Japan - he beat South Africa. A huge upset but not much else tho don’t take away from that. SA were complete shambles that year admittedly but it would be like us losing to Tonga right now or something.
England. He had them firing into the 2019 final and then disaster.
I don’t really count South Africa as he was an assistant coach and really an advisor of sorts.

to me it’s kind of a mixed record.
Good with wallabies until it was an absolute disaster.
South Africa a wash for me
Japan - yes a great great game
England 2 years solid and then a disaster
Australia a complete disaster
Success with Brumbies. Absolute disaster with qld.
Like that doesn’t scream “WE MUST HIRE HIM” to me. You’d think, he is a coin toss and we need certainty.
Those periods of success highlighted prove it requires a strong assistant to ensure Eddie's maniacal tendencies remain limited, are kept somewhat in check and prevented from destroying everything at such a rapid pace, case in point Eddie's Wallabies 2001-2003 before Link left - as everything promptly unraveled after his departure.

Similarly, England's success rate under Eddie with Borthwick is 78% compared to post-Borthwick Jones era 45% (2020-2022).
Borthwick was also his assistant during the 2015 World Cup while he was coaching Japan.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I reckon I could have inherited that same Brumbies and then Wallabies from McQueen with that standard of player, strategies, winning culture and had a similar record. And I’ve never coached. Kidding, of course.
But seriously, how could rugby Australia have looked at the maniac arguing with fans at the SCG and thought he was a good fit????
Great point and Robbie inherited an incredibly streamlined Crusaders machine/winning culture expertly refined by Wayne Smith.

Ewen McKenzie took a basket case Reds side with journeymen like Beau Robinson still working part-time jobs to their only title.

Cheika was fortunate to win the 2014 final by 1 point, even with a dozen international players, over half of what McKenzie had available. Rennie took a bunch of stragglers at the Chiefs to consecutive titles, much like McKenzie defied odds at the Reds.

McKenzie and Rennie, arguably the only Wallabies coaches since McQueen that haven't been underqualified for the task at hand. Unfortunately they were both burnt by incredibly poor luck, regular injuries to key players, external circumstances, etc... hence they never got a fair and proper shot at it when Cheika and Deans certainly did!

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So we haven't learned from the past 22 years of being average,

"Aussie coaches dont work we need the best, just get a kiwi"
"they dont understand our system get an aussie"

Rinse repeat.

Anyone ever thought of looking without tunnel vision & see how the game is played now days?

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
The thing that always shits me is when a coach starts talking about playing with an “Australian identiy”. They’re already wearing the national colours and our coat of arms and singing our anthem - it’s such a cop out.

Half of these players wouldn’t be able to characterise the successful national team’s identity from around 2000 because they weren’t alive or weren’t in the Aus system anyway.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
It used to mean that we ran the ball a lot. Worked for us when we played the Poms in the 1991 RWC Final. We played it tight and they never got into the game.
I always interpreted it as being wily, adaptable, and generally trying to find any way to score, which is where the running comes into it I suppose.

I can’t cope when we just chuck the ball around a bit and lose only to have the coach say that we have to keep playing that way.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the modern running game doesn't work without the threat of a highly competent tactical kicking game. The modern player has the fitness (or substitute available) and hours of footage to combat most systems which are possession heavy.

You don't need to kick all the bloody time, just enough at a sufficient quality that if the opposition ignores it, you'll punish them with it. Chip kick against a rushing defence, drill a ball deep into the 22 when the winger's up too early, kick it to the openside winger if the defence is too narrow, nail a penalty 45m out in the first 10-15 minutes to set the marker for where you "can" score from.

Top to bottom there seems to be some level of willful misunderstanding of that aspect of the game.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Roar are reporting that Joe Schmidt has the Wallaby job

If true I suspect it will be seen in hindsight as a case of "be careful what you wish for". I'm not sure the current generation of Wobs & potential Wobs are ready for what JS will be bringing to the setup: ruffled some peacock feathers in Ireland & can see him doing the same with your blokes.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If true I suspect it will be seen in hindsight as a case of "be careful what you wish for". I'm not sure the current generation of Wobs & potential Wobs are ready for what JS will be bringing to the setup: ruffled some peacock feathers in Ireland & can see him doing the same with your blokes.
That might have been the case if he was succeeding Rennie, but after Eddie I think the peacocks have already been plucked. Bigger question might be how centralisation/alignment fits in and what Schmidt is looking for there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I don't mind a straight shooter in the role at the minute.