• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The TV Broadcasting of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree with Arthur, though I can find no mention of 'across the country'.

“We are delighted to deliver live coverage of rugby union to fans over the next three years. The Wallabies showed on the weekend that a new generation of players is emerging and we look forward to helping grow the game by showing Tests live and on free-to-air television for all Australians to enjoy," Ten chief operating officer Jon Marquard said in a statement.

I'm guessing this is the bit he's referring to Barbarian. That was my first impression on reading that, but it may be drawing a fairly long bow to count on it.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Keep in mind that Fox owns all the rights, and on-sells them to FTA. Hence they will ensure that Ten is not a genuine competitor to their offering.

A genuine FTA competitor to Fox will only arise if one of the networks - presumably Ten - can afford to bid big bucks when the SANZAR rights come up next - 2015? JON's replacement would have to convince NZ and SA to take a significant pay cut if they split the rights between Fox and Ten, because Fox pays a lot to have exclusive rights over Super Rugby - it drives subscriptions. That would be a big call.

S

Sumon

Hopefully the 2 remaining EOYT games, Italy and Wales, get shown on FTA. Would be great if SBS had another go after last years EOYT broadcast worked so well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.... JON's replacement would have to convince NZ and SA to take a significant pay cut if they split the rights between Fox and Ten, because Fox pays a lot to have exclusive rights over Super Rugby - it drives subscriptions. That would be a big call.
He would have to convince his own board first. Can't see any decision makers voting for a reduced fee, they are relying on tv money to keep the wheels turning ATM.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Did JON have anything to do with FTA rugby being on Nein?

Will any or all matches be available in HD?

Will the Ten network do a better job than the Nein network?

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hopefully the 2 remaining EOYT games, Italy and Wales, get shown on FTA. Would be great if SBS had another go after last years EOYT broadcast worked so well.

So does that mean the first two eoyt games v France,England are definitely on FTA?.

I agree SBS did a good job broadcasting the end of year game against Wales last year.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sweet, it's very exciting news. Geez nine sucked balls. Hope ten do well with what scraps they get from fox.

This was in a presser ten realeased today:

In a thinly veiled swipe at Channel Nine, Channel Ten said in a statement trumpeting the deal: 'With Ten as the Wallabies free-to-air broadcaster from 2013, Australian rugby union fans can now look forward to getting consistent free-to-air television coverage across the country, which, in turn, will help the code thrive and develop.'

S

Sumon

So does that mean the first two eoyt games v France,England are definitely on FTA?.

I agree SBS did a good job broadcasting the end of year game against Wales last year.

in the articles, they only mention the first two games so im assuming they are definitely being broadcast, but with this seeming enthusiasm from 10 i would guess that they would also broadcast the other two.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Would love to see a weekly program also, similar to the game plan for League. Perhaps on a Wednesday night?

More analysis, than comedy, compared to the Rugby Club.

S

Sumon

With 10 coming on board with such excitement, one would assume they would also be keen to broadcast more rugby content - hopefully in the form of any sort of Australian domestic competition. I hope that the fact channel 10 and foxsports are owned by same people doesn't influence 10 negatively.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I didn't expect Suncorp to be sold out for the same reason, but Queenslanders surprised me once again.

I've had a few non-rugby mates comment that they watched the game. I think it may be a reasonable figure.
I would have thought it was sold out ages ago and the results of previous games this season would not have any effect on the attendance

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Glad to get rid of Nine. They deserve to go broke the way the joint is run.

Hopefully the ARU can squeeze the finals series of the club comps onto ONE HD.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I would have thought it was sold out ages ago and the results of previous games this season would not have any effect on the attendance
I thought that too LB. A couple of years back I tried to get tix to the first Bled in Brisbane for 10 years or something. It sold out in less than 20 mins. Still 51,888 in a 52k seat stadium is great!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be great if they could show Super rugby games, delayed obviously, probably even weeks delayed but better than nothing. I'm sure Fox wouldn't mind.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
It would be great if they could show Super rugby games, delayed obviously, probably even weeks delayed but better than nothing. I'm sure Fox wouldn't mind.
We are more likely to get a match of the round live, similar to what the A-League is getting with SBS.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Congratulations on your new FTA agreement, obviously much needed.
Can we expect new commentary teams? (much needed in both NZ and Aus)

If only we could have cloned Bill McClaren...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is a net positive for me. Just have all tests on live in a market like Sydney is a step forward. C10 did the 2007 RWC didn't they, and from memory they did a good job showing both live games and reasonable time replays.

Status
Not open for further replies.