• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The TV Broadcasting of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Storm of change: coming soon to TV

http://www.smh.com.au/business/storm-of-change-coming-soon-to-tv-20121019-27wrn.html

This is interesting stuff, Sanzar is in the box seat in being a content creator, hopefully they'll wield this power better in future to allow us more flexible access to it rather than being beholden to 9 and Foxtel. 9 has treated Rugby followers with disdain and Fox only allows one way to access when it also owns the Internet streaming rights.

It's strange that Fox don't have the internet stream. With their sister company up here Sky Sports I could actually watch more S15 than was available by watching on TV. Between their 4 main sports channels they broadcast about 90% of S15 games all of which were available online to subscribers as the sports channels are part of their live streams. Then those games they couldn't be show on the main channels were available on Sky Sports Xtra via the website so that every S15 game from this year was available on the website. As I was abroad for much of the S15 season I would have been completely Rugby-less without the streaming.

Hopefully Fox follow suit and get something similar in place for Aus Rugby fans. When Sky Sports came into the market in Ireland/UK initially I was one of their biggest detractors as I thought they would ruin the game. But I have to say they've been excellent. I can still see WC, most 6Ns games etc. on FTA but with Sky I can watch S15, TRC, ITM, Currie Cup etc. all competitions that FTA had absolutely no interest in showing, that's on top of them having HEC, Aviva Premiership, Amlin Cup, Lions Tour. Doesn't sound like Fox is giving Aus Rugby fans such a good deal though and that's a shame.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tweet from Balmain Rugby just now:

Nice to see Channel 10 taking a step into rugby again. Perhaps they won't just stop there........ They couldn't, could they? Stay tuned....

Interesting.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Comments from Tens head of sport

"We are just rapt to have a major sport," said Ten's head of sport, David Barham. "We think it is one of the great sports in this country. It has one of the most popular international teams and I think we can do a good job with it." . .

"The Lions tour will be fantastic, and I think the game on Saturday night was great," he said. "The fact that the sport will be a major part of our network will make a really big difference to the sport, and make a big difference to us. It will be one of our major priorities."

Sounds positive

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/rugby-switches-to-network-ten/story-fndpt9s1-1226501331457

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Years ago the four football codes ended up with one FTA broadcaster each, was it AFL at 7, league at 9, rugby at TEN and local soccer and club rugby at the ABC? Without running foul of the ACCC why can't the broadcasters and sports bodies realise it's in their collective interests to end up with a scenario like this?

Whom should I make my invoice out to? How much should I charge?

T

TOCC

Whom should I make my invoice out to? How much should I charge?
Because that removes the competitive of the market place...

If every sport negotiated with a specific channel, then sports would be likely to receive less for their broad cast rights

kronic

John Solomon (38)
There's always the perception of competition. Much like League players threatening to head to Rugby.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Has anyone deciphered if there is a FTA broadcast of the Spring Tour ? Or is it exclusive to FoxSports?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
At least Ten is showing the tour live, so they already have done better with the rugby than Nein. It will be interesting to see who the commentary team is too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would prefer the local commentators, presuming that there is an English language commentary available for the French and Italian matches. ABCKM. "Anyone but Clarke, Kearns, and Martin".

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
All games live on FTA on Ten and will be using the local English speaking commentary.

Fox will have Greg Clark.

N

NormanRalph

Does anyone know if the wallabies vs France game is being shown in NZ? I can't find it in the Sky Sports TV guide anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.