• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
And here's another training shot. Hooper (I think) has got a 7 singlet, but the others have RB & SS. If RB is running back, then continuing with the grid iron theme maybe SS is strong safety?

wallabies-coach-michael-cheika-talks-to-players-during-an-australian-picture-id479743430
Its Cheika's way of telling the players to pick up their game. The bib denotes where they'll be playing next year if the don't perform:
SS: Shute Shield
7: 7s
RB: Rebels

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Can anyone shed some light on why Tom Robertson has leapt all other contenders to the top of the props list?
I think he has a lot of potential but he is still young and i don't think he is ready (nor has earned the right) to be a starter.

I was watching him around the park in the test against Fiji yesterday and he didn't really seem to have much impact in either attack or defense.

Not to say he was useless, just that his hits were all fairly soft and he just sort of ambled from ruck to ruck with all the pace and intensity of a geriatric wombat.

He also doesn't look fit, there was a lot of standing around with hands on hips sucking in big ones after even minor involvements. After 15 rounds of Super Rugby he should be at peak conditioning, not looking like his first pre-season hitout after Christmas.

I thought Toby Smith had a lot more impact when he came on to replace Robertson, and his scrummaging seemed better to me too.

Am I missing something? Does Cheika see in Robertson the makings of the next Franks or Cole?

I just don't see it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Robertson was OK, and our scrum performed pretty well against a big Fiji pack (worth noting we really struggled against them in the set piece at the RWC).

It's always easier to look good off the bench, as the game is slower and the opposition more fatigued.

Sio is still clearly our best LHP, but I think Robertson and Smith are pretty even in the race for the #2 spot.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I remember thinking a few years back that James Slipper at the rate he was going could conceivably be our highest capped Wallaby ever.

Sadly with injury and form etc it seems like he's been put out to pasture.

I hope he can return to form because at his peak, IMO, he's Australia's best LHP by a mile.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Robertson is solid, nothing more, nothing less. Does his core duties, offers some work around the field. Once sio and slipper are back he will drop to 3rd maybe 4th on the list. It was a good game to play him in and earn some experience.

T

TOCC

I remember thinking a few years back that James Slipper at the rate he was going could conceivably be our highest capped Wallaby ever.

Sadly with injury and form etc it seems like he's been put out to pasture.

I hope he can return to form because at his peak, IMO, he's Australia's best LHP by a mile.

I think Slippers injury will do him the world of good in the longer term, I remember reading an article where he hasn't been able to training upper body weights for 12 months or more, Reds and Wallabies need to give him some real time off to get his body right.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Robertson is solid, nothing more, nothing less. Does his core duties, offers some work around the field. Once sio and slipper are back he will drop to 3rd maybe 4th on the list. It was a good game to play him in and earn some experience.
Depends if Slipper gets back to his form 2-3 yrs ago when he was one of the Wallabies best before getting injured. IMO his form in the last 18 mths has been well below his best.
Like TOCC says - I hope he takes the time to recover properly but that is not
really the modern way where plays invariably come back as soon as they are
physically able, and generally take some time to get back to form.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Robertson was OK, and our scrum performed pretty well against a big Fiji pack (worth noting we really struggled against them in the set piece at the RWC).

It's always easier to look good off the bench, as the game is slower and the opposition more fatigued.

Sio is still clearly our best LHP, but I think Robertson and Smith are pretty even in the race for the #2 spot.

Nup. I'm with follower. The Scrum was scratchy against a team that would not test the best first tier scrums. Worthwhile experiment, let Robertson gain further experience when the opportunity presents, like against Fiji.

But lets stop fucking around with the pack BEFORE we meet Scotland.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Current Australian props

I've been thinking about this for quite a while, Robertson in particular, and I've come to the conclusion I'm watching Oz rugby through a telescope rather than a microscope (although with the current state of Super/Rugby/Wallabies, etc, I might be better advised to use a periscope......... boom/tish).

2016 was Tom Robbo's first year in Super Rugby, an opportunity arose due to Kepu's absence and Ta'avao's disappointing performances early in the year. Tom grabbed the opportunity with both hands and played remarkably well for a novice in the most demanding position on the field. This allowed Ryan to concentrate on the LH side, someone who also grabbed the offered opportunity and played well. Paddy has some technical issues at THP leading to him kissing the dirt far too often, especially when he first comes on as a second half replacement. Ryan NEEDED to get a lot of time at LHP this year to continue developing, but he's been relegated to the bench, again. Back to Robertson: this is Tom's second year at the top level and it should be expected he'll catch some sort of dose of second year blues. Let's not forget he's also doing a medical degree on top of pro rugby.

I'm not around training at either the Tahs or Wallabies so I can't comment about front row matters. But I can't help thinking Robertson and Ryan should've been left to develop their skills at 3 and 1 respectively. We always need depth at THP in Oz rugby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Nup. I'm with follower. The Scrum was scratchy against a team that would not test the best first tier scrums.

I can't remember our scrum being under any pressure, except once on our own line (for which Fiji were penalised). I can remember us winning one scrum against the head, and one where we pushed Fiji back and won a penalty.

And I don't know what you base your opinion of the Fijian scrum on, but they fielded a very experienced front row which IMO is very much top tier. And we fielded two very green props.

It wasn't a perfect effort but to win 100% of our ball and a few of theirs, I'd take that every day of the week

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I dont dislike Robertson. I just think we need to get serious against the Scots. Banana skin waiting to happen.

And lets not simply focus there. Back row.

So to reiterate: that was fun. Now let's get serious, bring on the Scots.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I can't remember our scrum being under any pressure, except once on our own line (for which Fiji were penalised). I can remember us winning one scrum against the head, and one where we pushed Fiji back and won a penalty.

And I don't know what you base your opinion of the Fijian scrum on, but they fielded a very experienced front row which IMO is very much top tier. And we fielded two very green props.

It wasn't a perfect effort but to win 100% of our ball and a few of theirs, I'd take that every day of the week

Hey Baba. I seem to be doubling over things but what the hey.

If we rate that Fiji scrum highly, then I understand your POV. I dont, so predictably look at things differently.

Our scrum did not do poorly, sort of 50/50 against Fiji. I'm not expecting that is good enough agin a tough Europe forward based first tier team. Umm second tier perhaps. But gnarly forward based thinking.

We wont imo do well here against the Scots.

With that pack. Not just scrum also ruck. But our L/O I think is ready.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Current Australian props

I've been thinking about this for quite a while, Robertson in particular, and I've come to the conclusion I'm watching Oz rugby through a telescope rather than a microscope (although with the current state of Super/Rugby/Wallabies, etc, I might be better advised to use a periscope... boom/tish).

2016 was Tom Robbo's first year in Super Rugby, an opportunity arose due to Kepu's absence and Ta'avao's disappointing performances early in the year. Tom grabbed the opportunity with both hands and played remarkably well for a novice in the most demanding position on the field. This allowed Ryan to concentrate on the LH side, someone who also grabbed the offered opportunity and played well. Paddy has some technical issues at THP leading to him kissing the dirt far too often, especially when he first comes on as a second half replacement. Ryan NEEDED to get a lot of time at LHP this year to continue developing, but he's been relegated to the bench, again. Back to Robertson: this is Tom's second year at the top level and it should be expected he'll catch some sort of dose of second year blues. Let's not forget he's also doing a medical degree on top of pro rugby.

I'm not around training at either the Tahs or Wallabies so I can't comment about front row matters. But I can't help thinking Robertson and Ryan should've been left to develop their skills at 3 and 1 respectively. We always need depth at THP in Oz rugby.

Some good points here Lindommer, and I agree, Robertson grabbed his opportunity with both hands and has done quite well with it, I just hope he continues to improve at the same rate and doesn't taper off like so many who get celebrated early in their careers seem to do.

Let's not forget he's also doing a medical degree on top of pro rugby.

Just on this, there was an article a little while back about how Robertson had put his medical degree in hold indefinitely, so he's been solely focused on rugby this year.

Here it is: http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/05/16/07/26/waratahs-rebels-robertson

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nup. I'm with follower. The Scrum was scratchy against a team that would not test the best first tier scrums. Worthwhile experiment, let Robertson gain further experience when the opportunity presents, like against Fiji.

But lets stop fucking around with the pack BEFORE we meet Scotland.

Fiji scrum has been of Tier 1 levels for a few years now with their front row playing in Euroland.
Remember this from 2015 - shows the technique and strength very well.

and in case you think the 2015 Wallabies RWC scrum was a poor guide here is them against England laying the platform.
Skip to 4:35

The Wallabies have some issues but I thought they went well against a very good scrummaging unit.

Edit :- Jump forward to 6:15 as well to see the Fiji scrum win the tighthead.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I dont dislike Robertson. I just think we need to get serious against the Scots. Banana skin waiting to happen.

And lets not simply focus there. Back row.

So to reiterate: that was fun. Now let's get serious, bring on the Scots.

Surprised at the love for Higginbotham.
I think that back row we started with is very vulnerable. We got beaten in the turnovers according to ESPN.They had 56% of the possession.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Robertson has been sound at LHP this year, not dominated or been dominated. Worth noting he has the Tahs second highest tackle count after Hooper.
Sio is certainly better, but currently I rate him number 2.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Surprised at the love for Higginbotham.
I think that back row we started with is very vulnerable. We got beaten in the turnovers according to ESPN.They had 56% of the possession.

It has been stated a few times that the tactic was to not go for turnovers, hence so many defensive rucks saw the Wallabies standing off. So that would skew turnover figures. Probably not the game plan for every game, but it was here, for what it's worth.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It has been stated a few times that the tactic was to not go for turnovers, hence so many defensive rucks saw the Wallabies standing off. So that would skew turnover figures. Probably not the game plan for every game, but it was here, for what it's worth.
But I can't see the personnel currently available to play a different game.
I hardly need mention the mess if we repeat those stats of turnovers, possession and territory against the ABs - who are a better side anyway and so presumably would have even better stats.
Higginbotham is a luxury we can't afford - but I see him featuring in MOTM discussion.
I guess Hooper cab play on the ball instead of as a 12 but he hasn't done it for a while.