• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Will be an interesting matchup next weekend with Ruru up against Gordon or Phipps. Lauwrens and Powell are the top No 9s in the Aus franchises atm. Pity Lauwrens has been injured lately.
If he wasn't injured he was in. He even received a phone call from chek saying that.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Does the wallabies squad sans Brumbies get announced on Sunday? Surely they go into camp straight away in any case....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does the wallabies squad sans Brumbies get announced on Sunday? Surely they go into camp straight away in any case..

Send the buggers on a short tour of New Zealand, let them play against some club sides over there. See if they can learn something for a change.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Will be an interesting matchup next weekend with Ruru up against Gordon or Phipps. Lauwrens and Powell Ruru are the top No 9s in the Aus franchises atm. Pity Lauwrens has been injured lately.

Fixed, Powell is a bench option in Super rugby at the moment

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why isn't ruru being picked in the wallabies. He is clearly the best half back in Australia while Lowrance is injured.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
Because Powells been in the system and knows what they are after. Lowrance would have got a gig, but Ruru is too soon off the rank, give him next year he'll be there or there abouts..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Louwrens if uninjured had the same chance as Gordon. A nice thought and good Super Rugby form, but incumbents get the nod.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In test rugby, I think there is always a lag in selections, but the production line doesn't miss many real test players.

We get a churn of fringe units, some "why the hells" and there is some guys kept on for a few too many games in retrospect, but it is usually as good as we have

I can't think of many, if any, real test standard players not selected.

We can consider Fardy unlucky, but they gave Hanigan the chance. I can understand the logic "give the kid a chance", but I personally don't think either are real test 6s at the moment for different reasons.

I'd go along with that. There are a small amount of players who could consider themselves hard done by, but who can we name playing in Super or domestic footy right now who really should be in the Wallaby squad? Fardy? Yep, but I understand the reasons why he hasn't been there this year. Who else?

D

daz

Nah, Powell is the form 9 this year.

This is not wildly off the mark which sadly speaks volumes for the current state of top-shelf key playmakers in this country right now.

Having said that, in Super Rugby at least, the kid has done some good things this year, and (fingers crossed) will only get better. One to watch for sure.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah.. first we need to learn to kick

Plus the fact Ive seem multiply times by Australia players miss the side line.. its the definition of not being able to hit a broadside of a barn door.. expect 100 metres long and million miles tall..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But he doesn't play for the Tahs. You must be thinking of Phipps or Lucas.

Actually, no, my point was both the Force units have looked far better, more complete units and appear to be the future

But if the choice was between Powell or Phipps? it would be Phipps every day despite his passing issues. Today, he simply has more upside in speed to clear, defense and being that annoying harassing 9 to finish off any Wobs test after Genia has run out of juice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Phipps was apparently close to returning last Saturday so I expect he'll play some role against the Force this weekend.

I would be surprised if Genia and Phipps aren't the 9 and 21 for the first Bledisloe.