• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
As someone who's halfback has been ordinary at best, let me clear some of the confusion here.

Genia = Australia's best and undisputed at that, any other argument is just silly. Let's all not forget he was Australia's best from the rugby championship last year. He's had one horrendous half against Scotland and suddenly he's a disaster. Fickle thinking if you ask me.

Powell = best of the Australian 9s in super rugby this year if you run the span of the season

Gordon = the highest ceiling of the aus 9s. His best could/would/should be better than the other up and comers

Ruru = the toughest, you get more around the park with him as he doesn't mind hitting rucks when needed

Louwrens = was the form aus 9 prior to injury but smaller sample size. Great promise

Stirzacker = needs a new coach as he's not as good a player as he was 2/3 years ago. Why?

Phipps = Phipps

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, Genia was average to poor across all three tests..............

Fantastic last year, but his form in the previous few years wasn't very good which saw him behind White or Phipps or both of them at times.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As someone who's halfback has been ordinary at best, let me clear some of the confusion here.

Genia = Australia's best and undisputed at that, any other argument is just silly. Let's all not forget he was Australia's best from the rugby championship last year. He's had one horrendous half against Scotland and suddenly he's a disaster. Fickle thinking if you ask me.

Powell = best of the Australian 9s in super rugby this year if you run the span of the season

Gordon = the highest ceiling of the aus 9s. His best could/would/should be better than the other up and comers

Ruru = the toughest, you get more around the park with him as he doesn't mind hitting rucks when needed

Louwrens = was the form aus 9 prior to injury but smaller sample size. Great promise

Stirzacker = needs a new coach as he's not as good a player as he was 2/3 years ago. Why?

Phipps = Phipps

R3, I pretty much agree, but think you've over-rated Will in his tests this year. He was not outstanding in any of the tests, below par if anything, and was way off the mark in the Scotland test all test long. One of the many brain-farts by Cheika was not to substitute him early in the second half.

Gordon does have a high ceiling, but his strength is particularly in his pace. He is very good at running the ball and in backing up the break (at least on some occasions - last week not so good). I actually think there's not much between any of Gordon, Louwrens and Powell - each has strengths and areas where they could improve. Ruru is yet to reach their standard but also has potential. As I've said many times in the past, probably Lucas is the No 9 with the most rounded game, but probably will always suffer due to his small size.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Phipps = Phipps
Where do you see Tuttle? Genuine question - and not mean to imply in any way that he is part of the equation for Wallaby selection at present.

But I do see him as being very strong across the basics and uncomplicated - two things I thing are very important in a half. The sort of guy who could be in calculations in 1 - 2 years if he works very hard (of course - any of them could be in that basis.) But I am interested in how others see him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have no issue at all with Louwrens forcing his way into the Wallabies' squad when fit, as I think he has shown signs bo being very good. Ruru atm is a good Super Rugby backup. The last thing we really need is for another sub-par player from the Tahs to be brought into the team on reputation alone. And really the reputation hasn't been earnt anyway. How many times has he played for the Wallabies and disappointed with his performances - very many. If it comes to it, Gordon is a better No 9 than Phipps in any case.
I can understand why Cheika would go for Phipps if Genia or Powell were injured. Particularly if it was Genia, and particularly against the AB. I think it would be an amazingly gutsy call to play the ABs with Powell & Louwrens as your halves and it would probably expose them to an unfair level of scrutiny if the score ended the way most of us think it will.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would have Genia, Powell and Gordon in the squad, and only bring Phipps in as injury cover.

Obviously Genia to start, but we need to start giving some of these up and coming halfbacks some game time.......... Cheika blew the opportunity to give Powell some reasonable test experience against Fiji and Italy.

T

TOCC

I dont really buy this narrative that they should be pushing selections of players just to give more experience.. Australia barely won against Fiji and were hardly convincing against Italy, and for Powell it was his first season in a Wallaby camp and on the bench, that in itself is a significant amount of experience.

Like the dropping of Fardy, the first objective of the Wallaby coach is to select the best team, providing further experience and rotating players through the XV is secondary IMO. Powell and Gordon still have plenty of education and experience to receive from playing in the Super Rugby without needing to be fully immersed into the Wallabies. If Powell is the best halfback, then select him, if its Genia, then select him, If Fardy is one of the best blindsides then include him.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I dont really buy this narrative that they should be pushing selections of players just to give more experience.. Australia barely won against Fiji and were hardly convincing against Italy, and for Powell it was his first season in a Wallaby camp and on the bench, that in itself is a significant amount of experience.

Like the dropping of Fardy, the first objective of the Wallaby coach is to select the best team, providing further experience and rotating players through the XV is secondary IMO. Powell and Gordon still have plenty of education and experience to receive from playing in the Super Rugby without needing to be fully immersed into the Wallabies. If Powell is the best halfback, then select him, if its Genia, then select him, If Fardy is one of the best blindsides then include him.

I agree. You pick the best side available, we don't have the luxury of 'bloody players'. It is a national side. The best side should be selected

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree. You pick the best side available, we don't have the luxury of 'bloody players'. It is a national side. The best side should be selected

So the bench spot should go to Phipps.

Do you go straight to Arnold next to Coleman or one of Carter/Simmons? I personally think we need as much grunt as possible and would go with Arnold, Coleman calling.

I don't really think you can start Hanigan at 6 against the ABs confidently, but who else do you put in (besides Fardy).

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
So the bench spot should go to Phipps.

Do you go straight to Arnold next to Coleman or one of Carter/Simmons? I personally think we need as much grant as possible and would go with Arnold, Coleman calling.

I don't really think you can start Hanigan at 6 against the ABs confidently, but who else do you put in (besides Fardy).

Yep agreed. If Simmons could capture that performance from the reds game and do that every week, god he would be so great to have. As it stands he can't and I still don't see Carter having that impact that we need/Cheika wants.

Arnold and Coleman for me

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where do you see Tuttle? Genuine question - and not mean to imply in any way that he is part of the equation for Wallaby selection at present.

But I do see him as being very strong across the basics and uncomplicated - two things I thing are very important in a half. The sort of guy who could be in calculations in 1 - 2 years if he works very hard (of course - any of them could be in that basis.) But I am interested in how others see him.

Completely forgot about Tuttle

I'd have

Genia
Gordon
Powell/Louwrens
Tuttle
Frisby/Ruru
Phipps
Stirzacker

Potential

Genia
Gordon
Louwrens
Tuttle
Powell
Stirzacker/Frisby
Phipps/Ruru

In all honesty, apart from Genia it's completely relevant to have an argument for any of the others. Very little between them all and I guess depends how you see the game. Also I'd rather ruru on my bench than the others

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

I'd have

Genia
Gordon
Powell/Louwrens
Tuttle
Frisby/Ruru
Phipps
Stirzacker

Potential

Genia
Gordon
Louwrens
Tuttle
Powell
Stirzacker/Frisby
Phipps/Ruru

In all honesty, apart from Genia it's completely relevant to have an argument for any of the others. Very little between them all and I guess depends how you see the game. Also I'd rather ruru on my bench than the others
Tuttle better than Phipps? Carn man

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I'd have

Genia
Gordon
Powell/Louwrens
Tuttle
Frisby/Ruru
Phipps
Stirzacker

Potential

Genia
Gordon
Louwrens
Tuttle
Powell
Stirzacker/Frisby
Phipps/Ruru

I think Frisby would be at the bottom of that list at present to be honest. Which is a real pity, but he has come a long way off the boil.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tuttle better than Phipps? Carn man

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I can see why some people would see if that way. Phipps pass is sub standard. It doesn't matter how quick he is to the ball if he can't perform his core role consistently at the standard required.

Which is a shame - because a lot of other aspects of his game are exceptional IMO.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty sure Tuttle can also kick sticks, something if he focused on would be a massive boost to his game. He's a good young kid, I think he's done well this year in a team that has constantly has constantly had brain farts

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
every time Phipps is playing I'm just counting down the plays before he has a brain explosions, he is the Quade Cooper of halfbacks

And every time Will plays, I count down to the charged down box kick. I haven't yet determined which happens the most frequently - Genia's charged down box kick or Phipps' brain explosion, but I do know that Phipps' poor passing occurs much more often than the other misdeeds.

Reactions: gel

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And every time Will plays, I count down to the charged down box kick. I haven't yet determined which happens the most frequently - Genia's charged down box kick or Phipps' brain explosion, but I do know that Phipps' poor passing occurs much more often than the other misdeeds.

Can we expect data to confirm this, or would it more correct to just say this is your opinion? Yes, it's rhetorical.