• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Dumbledore, I think you are off the mark. I wish Lucas was still up here, he has gone well for the Tahs in his limited time. Has a very good pass and can mix it

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Best way to 'blood' new players is to have them apprentice behind the best available. You don't blood them by allowing them to be ripped to pieces in teh deep end with no safety net. ..

Mate, you either blood them or you don't blood them. This is the year to blood them. We are not talking a huge gap between Soup and Test match rugby. It is not like the days when players had to go virtually straight from club rugby to play against the All Blacks.

If they are not ready, it is up to the coaching staff to get them as ready as they can. If a player breaks because "he is not ready" then, frankly, he will never be ready.

There is only way to temper steel, that is in a bloody hot fire.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Dumbledore, I think you are off the mark. I wish Lucas was still up here, he has gone well for the Tahs in his limited time. Has a very good pass and can mix it
Hopefully I am. You always want players to prove you wrong. But still, I don't think so. He's got a bit about him, bit scrappy, a goer who'll win you games at lower levels. I totally disagree with you about his pass though, it's slow as treacle compared to the top guys. Not sure he's physically dynamic enough to make it to the next level either.

T

TOCC

Mate, you either blood them or you don't blood them. This is the year to blood them. We are not talking a huge gap between Soup and Test match rugby. It is not like the days when players had to go virtually straight from club rugby to play against the All Blacks.

Nah...

It's not one or the other...

You can bring players off the bench and developed experience that way, or if you need them to start than you partner them up with experienced campaigners so there's balance in the starting team...

Show me which young THP should be starting for the Wallabies since it's unlikely Holmes and Alexander(for better of for worse) will be around in 2019?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I hate to drudge up the past, but I'd imagine Cheika would be looking at Alexander for a THP spot.

A real bolter for scrumhalf might be Ben Meehan. I think he's been fairly good for the Rebels in Stirzaker's absence.

I'm really hoping Samu Kerevi strikes some form soon and puts himself into real contention for a centre spot. With To'omua going overseas and Kuridrani not exactly setting the world alight he could really pressure the incumbents for a starting jersey and (hopefully) do some real damage to opposing backlines. Doesn't help that he's playing outside a flyhalf that doesn't really know what he's doing though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I hate to drudge up the past, but I'd imagine Cheika would be looking at Alexander for a THP spot.

A real bolter for scrumhalf might be Ben Meehan. I think he's been fairly good for the Rebels in Stirzaker's absence.

I'm really hoping Samu Kerevi strikes some form soon and puts himself into real contention for a centre spot. With To'omua going overseas and Kuridrani not exactly setting the world alight he could really pressure the incumbents for a starting jersey and (hopefully) do some real damage to opposing backlines. Doesn't help that he's playing outside a flyhalf that doesn't really know what he's doing though.

Kerevi is just hot and cold and frankly more cold than hot. Would hate him to be in Wallabies ATM until he can show consistent form - that is, good consistent form.

He has to get his head in the right place before he can put his body there. Would prefer plenty of others.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kerevi is just hot and cold and frankly more cold than hot. Would hate him to be in Wallabies ATM until he can show consistent form - that is, good consistent form.

He has to get his head in the right place before he can put his body there. Would prefer plenty of others.

I think Cheika has shown he has some ability to get more out of a player than perhaps his club coach can - note Horwill and McCalman as a couple of examples.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure where this idea that Kuridrani isn't playing well has come from.

He's been one of our best.

He's not only been playing well, but no one else is threatening his spot........

I think a lot of people also glossed over his test form last year (not 2014 good, but still played quite well in a number of tests) because of his poor Super Rugby form where he was rushed back from injury.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)

I don't think this is Kerevi's fault when he is playing directly outside a flyhalf who is simply not professional standard. I think he'd do wonders with Cheika's influence.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think Kuridrani is our best option at 13. But I can't say he's playing well or badly. I can say I want more from him. He there or there abouts without setting the world on fire.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Tevita is currently among the top, or maybe he is the top, line breakers so far this season. Something line 17 line breaks in 5 matches. Not too bad if he's supposedly not in form.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Tevita is currently among the top, or maybe he is the top, line breakers so far this season. Something line 17 line breaks in 5 matches. Not too bad if he's supposedly not in form.
Sorry I meant last year for the wallabies. I haven't seen enough of him this year to comment on his current form. I should have nade rhat ckear in my original post.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

SANZAAR stats credits him with 4 line breaks.

Tomane is top of the comp with 13 breaks.